F1

Single or doule feet pedal?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    himmatsj
    Participant

Do F1 drivers use one foot for each pedal, or just the one foot for both pedals?

Bob
    Participant

One foot for each pedal. The limited legroom in the cockpit prevents them from resting their foot anywhere or moving around too much.

minnis
    Participant

Although I believe Barrichello used to use his right foot for both pedals.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I remembered something about Barrichello and found an old thread by @nik which includes telemetry from when he and Schumacher were team mates at Ferrari.
    In the throttle/brake section you can see that Schumacher uses both together at times, whilst Barrichello does not, suggesting @minnis is right about Barrichello using only one foot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s interesting to note that Massa has carried on the habit of braking with the left and accelerating with the right to road cars, rather than switching between brake and throttle with the right and using the clutch with the left: http://youtu.be/4vpJpoYZGCc?t=4m44s (skip to 4:44)

Alfie
    Participant

Didn’t think the 458 has a clutch though

himmatsj
    Participant

Thanks for the reply guys!

@Fixy, he could have been driving an automatic car, or the car’s manual shifting may be based on paddle shifts (no clutch).

Anonymous
    Inactive

@himmatsj could be, but I doubt it as the way Alonso asks it is as if he does not do the same, it sounds more like a difference between the two which, I think, Alonso felt in the way Massa was driving.

Roald
    Participant

jsw11984
    Participant

@Fixy the 458 is paddle shift only, so no clutch pedal. however he could still be left foot braking/right foot accelerating as I do that even in my automatic.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@jarred-walmsley thanks for telling!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.