F1

The 2015 Honda V6 – sound recording

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Roald
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx6gsXjmCbA

Sounds fantastic in my opinion!

andae23
    Participant

Are we sure this is official?

If so, sounds good! Really excited for next year and now 2015 as well :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds good. Now, what does it sound like from outside?

GeeMac
    Participant

I saw this pop up somewhere too. It sounds good, a lot better than the Mercedes and Renault notes we have heard previously (though I think the Renault and Mercedes notes we heard were running at a lot lower RPM than that Honda seems to be).

matt90
    Participant

Sounds a bit like a vacuum cleaner, but the quality and manner of the recording probably don’t help.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Horrible, sad to see f1 in such a sorry strait.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

HAHAHA I just laughed as I listened to this. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner and this can’t be better than a Mercedes in any way. Other than cleaning up the track.

Bob
    Participant

It should sound different (and hopefully less vacuum-like) once it’s installed in an actual car with a race exhaust. From what we’ve heard so far, though, I’m cautiously optimistic – I like the guttural lower pitch. Here’s hoping the end result is something along the lines of the 1980s turbo engines.

matt90
    Participant

Good point Bob, I wonder if this is pure engine noise without any exhaust.

Bob
    Participant

@matt90 – From some web searches on the design of engine test stands, it seems that they only fit a very rudimentary exhaust setup, often nothing more than a series of gas lines, to the engine while it’s on the rig. Assuming that’s the case with this recording, a tuned, race-spec exhaust should sound better.

matt90
    Participant

Of course, they might have fitted a proper exhaust system anyway though, as it would give more realistic engine performance.

Loup Garou
    Participant

The engine did not sound powerful at all. Too high revs compared with the others. I am not sure that this is the real thing.

Francorchamps
    Participant

Why do Mercedes and Honda release these sounds? I thought that the sound of the motor was top secret because it could be an useful information for other motorists.

Roald
    Participant

@loup-garou Don’t be dumb, they all have a rev-limit of 15.000rpm that these engines probably won’t even reach in race-trim. So how can the revs be “too high”?

I have no idea how anyone can say it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, that’s total nonsense. The sound of the V8 is pretty crap, the only reason it is popular is because it’s LOUD. But no one can honestly say it’s a beautiful sounding engine. The V10 almost had a melody to it, but the V8… come on. I think the V6’s will sound a lot better, more powerful. The Honda sounds best so far, but all the clips we’ve got so far have been recorded in small rooms with a dyno in it. Can’t wait to hear them on track.

Jeff
    Participant

Sounds like my dad’s wood planer out in the garage… YUCK. Gimmie back the V8’s…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.