F1

Today’s the day…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Bullfrog
    Participant

We were told to expect a major announcement about drivers “on Wednesday”, according to Eddie Jordan – or, if you prefer, Martin Brundle who apparently said much the same thing.

Wednesday has come, so who will announce what by the end of today? Place your bets, and we can look back and laugh at them later.

I’ll stick my neck out, and say Mercedes will announce that Michael Schumacher is staying for another year.

Kingshark
    Participant

Hamilton moves to Mercedes, hopefully.

Enigma
    Participant

I say it’ll be something boring and expected – Maldonado stays at Williams is my bet!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hamilton stays.
    Schumacher stays.
    Massa stays (I wish he didn´t but he´s Alonso´s “Webber”)

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Somehow, I don’t think we’re going to hear anything. If Mercedes want Hamilton to replace Schumacher, they’re not going to announce Schumacher’s retirement when McLaren have just announced that they are willing to match Mercedes’ offer to Hamilton. Doing so would only give more bargaining power to Hamilton, and as much as the team might want to keep him, they’ll be reluctant to cede any more ground to him. And it’s not good for Mercedes, either, because if McLaren are willing to match Mercedes’ offer, that suggests that Hamilton hasn’t signed anything with Mercedes yet.

So I suspect that we’re only going to hear something if it’s along the lines of “Hamilton to replace Schumacher at Mercedes” – ie, a whole driver move, not half a one like Schumacher leaving.

Maldonado stays at Williams is my bet!

He’s already confirmed.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

That’s just evil, @keithcollantine – why would you force us to wait another 24 hours? Or do you know something we don’t?

@prisoner-monkeys No I’m just evil. I punch kittens and everything.

Disclaimer: I don’t.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Well, those kittens must have had it coming, then. Serves them right for being all cute and adorable.

McGregski
    Participant

Imagine if the big news was “Hamilton Announces Retirement from Formula 1”
    That would blow the weeks of speculation right out of the water

Enigma
    Participant

Ah, Maldonado did sign a 2-year contract last year, didn’t he?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@enigma – I believe that is correct, yes.

matt90
    Participant

Nobody moves. Not even Massa. Everybody wonders why. Why, Ferrari? Why? Schumacher is only committing on a year-by-year basis after having a frustrating season of some limited success and a lot of disappointment. Force India and Sauber keep their drivers who are often speculated as on the move (although maybe Kobayashi is kicked out). Why, Ferrari? Really?

Meander
    Participant

I, too, have the feeling that this whole potentially spectacular silly season will all end in a stalemate. When Webber resigned for Red Bull the first door was closed and I imagine that, as @matt90 said, Hamilton, Massa and Schumacher will stay put, keeping the Force India and Sauber drivers (Kobayashi as well) in their spots and so also blocking Kovalainen and/or Glock from moving (back) up the field.

I really hope we’re wrong though!!!

P.S. Why, Ferrari?!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@matt90
    Is that final??? So nobody moved???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.