F1

Top seat or quit for Webber in 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

Mark Webber has warned he will quit Formula One if he cannot find a top seat for 2013.

Can see him joining Macca if Lewis leaves

Slr
    Participant

If Hamilton leaves McLaren, I’m not sure Webber would be their best choice for 2013. Webber hasn’t really shown the pace required in a top car, so McLaren would be better off with someone else in my opinion (i.e. Rosberg or Raikkonen [if he’s quick this year]). However, I don’t see Hamilton leaving McLaren anyway.

If Webber doesn’t want to race in the midfield or at the back, then he’s better off leaving the sport. I think Webber would like racing in the USA to be honest, considering the kind of person he is and the fact that US motorsport is more of a spectator sport, I think he’d enjoy it.

Pamphlet
    Participant

If he underperforms again I highly doubt any of the top 5 teams will consider him.

Girts
    Participant

I don’t believe that Hamilton will leave McLaren although it would be mega to see him as Vettel’s team mate at RBR. But Red Bull don’t really need another star of Vettel’s calibre and such a hiring would also bring the need of the extensive Red Bull’s driver programme into question. Ferrari ain’t an option as long as Alonso is there. Mercedes might continue with the current line-up and, if not, there are a couple of other guys (di Resta) waiting in the wings.

Ferrari might be a more likely option for Webber if Perez doesn’t fulfil expectations in 2012.

Pamphlet
    Participant

Actually, knowing his relationship with Rubens + the fact that Barrichello will very likely be racing in IndyCar, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Mark follow him. He doesn’t really have many options left in F1.

Red Bull
    His relationship with Vettel&the team and his performance last year kind of guarantees that he won’t stick around for much longer. Buemi, Ricciardo and (highly unlikely) Hamilton all seem like better options.

McLaren
    This one seems surprisingly plausible. I don’t see Lewis sticking around after 2012 and I can’t think of any realistic replacements for him. Still not too likely, but I can see him doing that in order to spite Seb. It’s not up to him, though…

Ferrari
    “This is your captain, Fernando, speaking. Your flight is ready, mr Webber”.
    Didn’t Alonso say something like that when he called Mark to remind him of the awarding ceremony? Maybe their relationship is closer than one might think. It’s not smooth sailing, though. Webber does not like playing second fiddle for anyone, and Ferrari is all about that. Plus, they have Kubica, Bianchi, Perez (and a couple of others whom I’m likely forgetting) on the list, all of which would be better for the team.

Mercedes
    Only if MSC retires and if they somehow manage to win any races, which, according to Brawn, is unlikely. And even if that happens, Di Resta would be a better replacement for Schuey.

Lotus
    Only if they continue the pace they seemed to set in the first test, which isn’t too likely to happen. If the team messes up and Kimi leaves, Webber won’t want to join them anyway (midfield team, *ahem*), but he could possibly replace GGGGRRRRSSSSJJJJNNNN.

All in all, there’s not much hope for him.

GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

I think driver market at end of 2012 is going to be interesting, like winter 2009 was. Also interesting who will take on Massa for 2013 if anyone

Pamphlet
    Participant

@GeorgeDaviesF1 – Sauber will likely take him if Perez leaves, otherwise yeah, he may be stuck without a drive. Surprises can always pop out though. Kimi&Massa at Lotus, anyone?

VettelS

I would not be at all surprised if Webber leaves Red Bull at the end of this season, especially if it’s as lacklustre as last year.

McLaren
    I doubt Hamilton would leave McLaren, even if a seat becomes available at Red Bull. McLaren are looking strong in testing, so you have to assume Hamilton will be very competitive this season. Of course Hamilton will leave eventually, but I don’t think it’ll be for another couple of years.

Ferrari
    I reckon this is going to be Massa’s final year at Ferrari, but I’m not really sure who will replace him. If Kubica is fit enough, that’s a possibility, as is Rosberg if he can perform well again this season. But not Webber- apart from anything else, he’s too old.

Mercedes
    Not really sure what’s going to happen with Schumacher. I hope he can improve this season and beat Rosberg (and there’s a reasonable chance he will), and stay for 2013 as well. But if he leaves at the end of this year, I think Massa, Webber or Di Resta could be a possible replacement.

Lotus
    I’m not that confident that Lotus can give Raikkonen a decent enough car this year. Hopefully Kimi will leave Lotus at the end of this season and find a better team- possibly at Red Bull (which would be AMAZING) or Mercedes if Schumacher leaves. But I doubt very much that Webber would want to go backwards down the grid to Lotus.

realracer

Now Alonso and Webber are good mates, so I think they would get on well at Ferrari however I doubt he would want to go their, so possibly for me I would say Mercedes, or he might take the Indycar route.

katederby
    Participant

As much as teaming up with his pal Alonso sounds plausible and who wouldn’t want to finish their career at Ferrari, I still see Webber staying at RBR in 2013 and maybe 2014.
    And after that, not Indy or anything in American but Le Mans Series, most likely with Porsche.

SouthPawRacer
    Participant

And after that, not Indy or anything in American but Le Mans Series, most likely with Porsche.

Or possibly GT3/GT1? Do a Schumacher and go back to his roots, racing in sports cars with Mercedes? :P

duncanmonza
    Participant

I doubt Webber will do any racing once he leaves F1. He doesn’t need to and why would he want to race in a lower category after just finishing fighting for the world championship? He owns a pub anyway and needs to run that :D

katederby
    Participant

His partner owns and runs the pub. Webber has said he’s looking at Le Mans but not for a while yet…

TheJudge
    Participant

I accept this as a sign that he’ll leave RBR. Hope he does that,because I still think they wont let him win the title anyway. And the top teams Like Mclaren ,Ferrari or Merc ,has different plans for drivers if a place is free in ’13 . Ferrari could have Sutil or Kubica in the running if Massa loses the seat,Mclaren wouldn’t take him anyway and Merc ,I guess,would eye Hulk or Di resta. That’s only my view ofcourse,but It seems like it tho’

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, if Mark Webber says he will only drive for a top team in 2013 or leave F1 … goodbye, Mark, nice knowing you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.