F1

Toro Rosso Ferrari engine clarification

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Hi I’m new here. I have a query. Is the Ferrari engine supplied to Torro Rosso same as the one that is in the back of Alonso and Massa’a car? I suppose it is not otherwise STR will not be back grid team. How is it different than the Ferrari Team’s engines?

Yes it’s the same.

Kingshark
    Participant

I’m not a paranoid conspiracy theorist, but I doubt that Ferrari give identical equal engines to their supplier teams than they use on their own cars. There’s probably some performance advantage in the Ferrari-Ferrari engine over the STR-Ferrari engine.

matt90
    Participant

Is there nothing in the rules saying that supplied engines must be of the same specification?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yes, there is such a rule.

sato113
    Participant

the engine-maps will be different!

Bullfrog
    Participant

Is there such a rule next year?
    Lewis Hamilton and Ross Brawn have been making a big thing of being the works Mercedes team…

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@bullfrog – The reason that is, (someone please correct me if I’m wrong) but that they have been able to see the engine since it was first developed, meaning they can design the car around it, however non engine producing teams will see it later, so will already have had to build the car and thus have to slot the engine in. Basically Ferrari and Mercedes have the engines sooner than their customer teams, and so can design the cars around it sooner and for longer.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@sato113 – The engine maps will be the same. After Red Bull were called before the stewards in Germany last year, the FIA had engine suppliers submit their engine maps to the stewards at every race.

sato113
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys yes true, but are you sure that wasnt the teams submitring their own private engine maps rather than the suppliers themselves?

Jeff
    Participant

Then you have the benifit of data collecting. Data from 4 to 6 engines on any given weekend is better than 2.
    There is more to making a car run at the front of the pack than just the engine MFG. Suspension, aero and driver skill all play into it.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@sato113 – Quite certain.

There is no way the FIA would let Ferrari supply different engines or engine maps to its customer teams.

sato113
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys i agree with you but I was thinking it was like:
    Ferrari gives identical engines to 4 teams (and themselves- NOW the teams can privately do whatever they like with the engine maps to their personal liking with the help of their personal on-hand ferrari engine engineer.
    no?

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Wow I read all your posts and want to thank all of you for your inputs. A lot of things are now clear, but I learn something new everyday. I don’t know what are Engine maps but I’ll google it now, yes the rules are pretty stringent for keeping transparency, after all a team pays 15 million euros every season to the manufacturers for supplying engines and there has to be transparency in everything.
    Thank you, @Sato113, @prisoner-monkeys, @bradley13, Keith and rest.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.