F1

Valencia double-DRS: what's the plan?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve heard they’re using a “double DRS zone” again in Valencia, but not how and where. Does anyone know yet?

Valencia track map

My guess is it’ll run from the swing bridge (far right on the map) down to “Webber corner” (yellow chevrons on the map), then on the next straight after the chicane?

And did anyone actually overtake in the second part in Montreal, along the pit straight? The only pass I remember is Massa getting Kobayashi on the last lap.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i don’t recall another pass on the pit straight but JB having DRS deployed there played a big role in the pressure he applied to seb entering the last lap…as for Valencia it’s more than likely going to be where you have indicated…probably detected just after turn 10 and activated at turn 11…and reactivated from the exit of 14 to the end of sector 2

http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/europe_860/circuit_diagram.html

KaIIe
    Participant

According to this early report: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91556

There will also be two zones for the European Grand Prix at Valencia, which follows Canada. The first will be located between Turn 10 and Turn 12, with the second between Turn 14 and Turn 17.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

I thought the double DRS zone for Canada was stupid, as overtaking has never really been a problem there. Obviously, it didn’t really figure much in the race in the end

However, I’m not so opposed to it for Valencia, saying as overtaking is usually pretty difficult there. But, it will be interesting to see if double DRS zones are the norm for future races. If so, I wonder if they will they be situated on consecutive straights, as in Canada and Valencia? Eg, on the national straight and the former pit straight at Silverstone?

Icthyes
    Participant

Makes sense. Monaco showed that there’s a limit to what the Pirellis can do, even though it should be a bit easier in Valencia.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will the activation point remain one?

Icthyes
    Participant

I believe so.

Scribe
    Participant

The problem with one detection zone is the larger activaition zone tends to be first, that stupid situation where the faster car has already passed, then gets that lead away activaition. So stupid.

I’d like to see two DRS zones on completley different part of a track, like Spain for instance.

Asanator
    Participant

@ Scribe

“The problem with one detection zone is the larger activaition zone tends to be first, that stupid situation where the faster car has already passed, then gets that lead away activaition. So stupid.

I’d like to see two DRS zones on completley different part of a track, like Spain for instance.”

That’s the point thought, so we don’t have pass and then repass which would be quite frankly ridiculous, the 2nd zone gives the passing car a chance to pull out of the 1sec zone and on towards the next car up the track!

TrueF1Grit

I always thought it was to do with the technology they had.

They introduced double DRS at Canada and will again at Valencia. I’m sure they’d agree with what Ned’s saying about two DRS zones in completely diffeent ends of the track, but will they have the technology by then? We’ll see.

Anonymous
    Inactive

DRS is just another device that helps the top teams. When by some reason a non-Mclaren-Ferrari-RedBull whether by strategy, skill or luck, manages to be in the front it just means he won’t be able to keep the place, despite his defensive driving skills. And no, it’s not the same for everybody. The non-top teams don’t have the ability to go to the 1 sec. stupid zone; it’s enough they have the aerodynamics, the money to buy the most skilled engineers, technicians, etc, they also had to steal us the factor of surprise too? At the beggining of the season DRS was just frosty or indiferent to me, as it wasn’t offering positions. then since Malaysia dislike started to grow. Now, with Montreal, it’s just disgusting. And I’m quite appalled, disapointed or at least surprised to see public opinion doesn’t share with me at least some dislike.

Wet weather racing died, so did defensive driving. The likes of Michael Schumacher and Gilles Villeneuve would be just good drivers if they drove today, instead of legends.. Is that what we really want?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The double-DRS in Valencia will start at turn 11 and last down to turn 12, and then will start again at turn 14 and run all the way down to turn 17.

I believe the plan is to have just one activation point.

Scribe
    Participant

@Asanator, I would say if a driver in a slower car can manage a set of corners to get his car back in front, possibly for final track position then denying him the oppourtunity is just unfair.

Anonymous
    Inactive

yeah, what is doing is diminushing real overtaking, because what will be the point if I can’t keep him behind, despite talent?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.