F1

Villeneuve planning F1 return with own team?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SoLiDG
    Participant

Just read an article on a belgian newspaper site

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/954/Formule-1/article/detail/1133523/2010/07/15/Villeneuve-plant-comeback-in-Formule-1.dhtml

sorry it’s dutch.

But it says Villeneuve wants to enter his own team next year and has applied to the fia. Could be the American entry or what? Strange news :)

Journeyer
    Participant

Saw it on AMuS too.

Villeneuve Racing would be a Canadian entry if accepted. The US application would be Cypher Group.

That said, I don’t see how JV could be any more successful now than the first time he tried to pull this stunt (1999). This could be BAR: The Sequel.

SoLiDG
    Participant

Yeah can’t see something good come out of this… or most teams that want to enter next year… unless they buy Toyota!

Steph90

That would be BAD.

Hehe. I crack myself up. Sorry, couldn’t resist!

It’s strange, I’m not sure it’ll happen. I’m in admiration of his determination to get back on the grid however.

Ads21
    Participant

That would be awesome, I would love a team Villeneuve and surely they’d have to be given ownership of number 27. Just think a Villeneuve racing in a number 27 car!

Probably never happen, but like steph said you gotta admire his determination to get back into F1. I tend to think people have missunderestimated his ability because of the way his carreer panned out after he left Williams.

sbl on tour
    Participant

hope he isnt driving, as he,s well past his sell buy date

sbl on tour

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I hope this isn’t a vanity project, a team designed to give Villeneuve a racing seat. It would be a waste of a grid position, if you ask me. There is no way Villeneuve could race and own a team at the same time; Mark Skaife tried it a few years ago in the V8 Supercars (largely because the rules prevented one person from owning two teams and Holden didn’t want to give up one of them so Skaife purchased it) and his form slumped almost immediately.

wasiF1
    Participant

I don’t think it is a good idea, OK he can be a team principal but I don’t think that he should come back in F1 as a driver that last time he came back I think for BMW Sauber he didn’t do anything to talk about.A new team will be great but but not a old driver.

Journeyer
    Participant

Well, yes, Villeneuve would get Car 27, which may be what got him interested this year in the first place. But again, if he wasn’t successful in 1999 (and that was with tobacco money behind now), what chance does he have now?

FWIW, the article bears no mention of Craig Pollock, who was JV’s manager and partner last time out. I guess he’s not interested? Either that, or he’s playing behind the scenes, which I doubt.

BasCB
    Participant

I think Villeneuve split up with Pollock some years ago, after the BAR fiasco and Villeneuve having to do what he can to find a drive at Renault and at BMW Sauber.

I would like him to come back to F1. If he would just own the team, be a test driver and racing driver at the start and find a good team manager to run the thing, it might actually be pretty nice.

He would have to get a good second driver and a test driver to take over as a driver pairing when he stops driving and just does the job of being the team principle/figurehead

Ratboy
    Keymaster

Knowing JV he’d still fall out with the management and quit :p…..

credible58
    Participant

Are there places up for grabs? Surely 24 cars are enough.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Are there places up for grabs? Surely 24 cars are enough.

There’s two: the original plan was to have twenty-six cars running this year, but USF1 never made it. So their grid position defaulted to the FIA who instead of granting it to someone like Stefan GP, elected to hold onto it for 2010 and open the entry bid process up again.

Tom L.
    Participant

Apparently the Villeneuve project is a tie-up with Durango.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.