F1

Wasted Talents

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Kingshark
    Participant

I don’t think this topic has been done before, but who are some F1 drivers with a lot of talent, but was wasted due wathever reason? Two names that pop to my head are:

1) Juan Pablo Montoya – Very wasted talent, and he’s got nobody to blame but himself.

2) Jarno Trulli – In his prime he could challenge Alonso as teammates, did a tremendous job with Toyota, but only 1 win?

What do you think are some talents which were wasted?

DavidS
    Participant

Jean Alesi – Managed to find himself in teams while they were in a slump. His time at Ferrari was fraught with mechanical failures. But he was fast and aggressive.

Hare
    Participant

Me… clearly :)

Enigma
    Participant

Francois Cevert – If he weren’t killed in 1973, he would very likely win at least one title.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Kimi Raikkonen- he could quite easily have been a 3 or 4 time champion had both his car and his motivation not failed him so often

Incidentally, there was an article about this in F1 Racing a few years ago. I remember they included Montoya, John Surtees and Johnny Herbert, amongst others. As a 3 time race winner I’d argue Herbert got roughly the level of success his ability deserved

jihelle
    Participant

Elio de Angelis, Mika Salo, Jacky Ickx, Martin Brundle and may be Jean-Pierre Jarier who could be so fast the few times he had the right car.

Slr
    Participant

I remember the article on “Wasted talents” in F1 Racing magaine also included Jan Magnussen who was supposed to be the second coming of Ayrton Senna.

Icthyes
    Participant

Ayrton Senna. He would have been a brilliant businessman.

I also have to concur with Martin Brundle. And arguably, Mark Webber, he was in rubbish cars when he was young.

OEL F1
    Participant

@Ned Flanders: You know Herbert crushed his foot in F3000 (was it)?

GeeMac
    Participant

Brundle and Jean Alesi are probably the two that most people will say here. One I always think of is Jan “the next Senna” Magnussen.

Metrium
    Participant

Surely need to put Gilles VIlleneuve in there as well

Alessandro Nannini deserves a mention

I think we all hope Robert Kubica won’t belong on this list in years to come, too

GeeMac
    Participant

And Mr Crashed and Byrned himself, Tommy Byrne.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Luca Badoer

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anthony Davidson and Tiff Needell

GeeMac
    Participant

Fixy is spot on. Hugely talented guy is old Luca, but he was wasted in Forti’s and Minardi’s. Ferrari’s dominance in the 2000’s is due in no small part to the thousands of miles he drove and the reliable and accurate feedback he gave in testing.

He’ll sadly be remembered as an F1 reject who drove a dog of a Ferrari for a couple of races.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.