F1

What can be done about drivers who do not run in qualifying?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Tony H 6 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Joey-Poey
    Participant

But it isn’t the race and to be penalized for a technical problem you can’t control is ludicrous. I cannot see the teams accepting such a silly rule.

Icthyes
    Participant

Why is ludicrous in qualifying and not the race? Currently if a team suffers a problem in qualifying they suffer by not being able to set a lap. It would be no different under what I suggested. This is racing, not a charity.

Don Mateo
    Participant

I think get rid of the rule about the top 10 having to start on the tyres they qualified on. It’s a silly rule that effectively means it’s better to be 11th than 10th. If teams are leaving a set of primes unused but complaining about a lack of option tyres then take away a set of primes and add a set of options.

As for penalties for not running, on the one hand I think there should be some kind of comeback on teams for deliberately not running, on the other hand teams may well try to fake technical issues to get around it. The best solution is just to provide no incentive not to run.

Of course, with the current knock-out system, there will always be occasions when somebody gets into the top 10 but knows they can’t do better than 10th, so feels there’s no point in running. Not a lot you can do about that.

Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

I agree, non-runner penalties would be counter productive and hard to police. Let’s have quali tyres for quali and race tyres for racing to make sure everyone who can run, does run. If we continue to have non-runners in quali then who is going to watch? We’ll see TV audiences drop for the Saturday hour and sponsor cash disappear from the sport neither of which is a good outcome. All of the fiddling about with rules over the years have been brought in to make the sport more competitive and, therefore, watchable – and if something isn’t watchable then we’ll watch something else, ie. just the race broadcast.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I think get rid of the rule about the top 10 having to start on the tyres they qualified on. It’s a silly rule that effectively means it’s better to be 11th than 10th.

I’m pretty sure the intention was to stop teams from burnng through a set of soft tyres and setting a fast time, then getting onto a fresh set of softs at the start and being untouchable because everyone else has been forced to use all their tyres.

Asanator
    Participant

Quanlifying Tyres are an unnecessary waste and even more pointless than Enabling DRS for the entire lap in practice and Qualifying!

Joey-Poey
    Participant

@ichteyes

Currently if a team suffers a problem in qualifying they suffer by not being able to set a lap.

Exactly, so why penalize them for that? You say it doesn’t matter whether it’s a race or qualifying, well would you start penalizing cars who have a technical failure in a race? It’s pointless and they throw out enough penalties as it is.

Asanator
    Participant

Force all teams who do not set a lap to start on the set of the hard tyres returned after FP2.

Anonymous

My suggestion is that every driver must set a lap in every session that qualify for.
    No lap = start from the pit lane.

Tony H
    Participant

My suggestion is to bring back single lap qualifying and allow the teams to choose the tyre they want to race with.

Single Lap qualifying wasn’t great but it offered a better chance of a mixed up grid and providing a more interesting race than the system we have at the moment. Although it may mean we have to also scrap the 107% rule.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.