F1

What is the projected power on the new engines?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Tom11

The FIA were saying 600hp for the 12,000rpm 1.6L 4’s.

Now that we have 15,000 rev’s and v6’s will this be increased? The fuel rate is still very restricted when it comes to ultimate power.

700 maybe?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The 2014 engines will produce about the same amount of power as the current engines do. The difference is in how the engines actually produce that power – there will be more power from energy recovered via KERS and the exhaust manifold. Unlike the current specification of engines, I believe KERS will not be a button that the driver pushes, but fully integrated into the car and constantly being utilised (alternatively, if it is not KERS that is being constantly used, it will be the energy recovered from the exhaust).

Tom11

I’m not concerned about what the power + kers is.

I want to know what the actual power output will be from the motor itself.

I like the new engine regs, they sound pretty exciting. I think it’s good that they’re looking to make F1 more efficient and economical.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m not concerned about what the power + kers is.

I want to know what the actual power output will be from the motor itself.

But you need to know both because they will be integrated into one another. The engine itself will produce about 600bhp, but that figure is not representative of anything because the KERS system will be in constant use alongside the engine.

Leftie
    Participant

well, last time V6 1.5 liter turbos were racing around grand prix circuits they produced more than 1000 hp in qualifying. my guess is the figures for 2014-spec engines will be around 800 hp. i may be wrong though, because turbochargers will be more restricted than they were back in the days. but the technology went further since then as well.

matt90
    Participant

I bet the FIA are aiming for 600bhp. However I’d love to see teams blitz the engine development and come out with cars that including KERS produce 1000bhp again.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

If the FIA are aiming for 600bhp, you can bet the teams will find a way of producing 700bhp+ like they are now. With the KERS integrated as well the torque figure may well be higher and the cars might have even quicker mid range acceleration as they do now…

Calum
    Participant

We have 860bhp right now… except we don’t, we have constant 800bhp with a few seconds of boost to 860bhp.

We are going to get 720 bhp, which is only 140 less than now, not too bad… except we’re not, we’re getting a 600bhp constant with a few seconds of boost to 760.

It’s going to be 200bhp less powerful than now for the most part of a lap…

*Presuming current engines are 800bhp with 60 KERS and new KERS is double power with 600bhp Turbo 6s.

Icthyes
    Participant

And extra weight, it will make it even worse.

matt90
    Participant

If KERS is used as a constant source of extra power for the engine it won’t be so bad. But if the 150 bhp it generates is used as KERS is now, then the basic cars will be slow, with a ridiculously exaggerated boost feature like star power in mariocart. I can accept KERS as it is now. But if the use of it remains the same, then overtaking may become a joke.

Also, is there any confirmation on whether DRS will be removed, or if it now a permanent feature of racing?

@HoHum
    Participant

People keep posting about recovering energy from exhaust heat or the exhaust manifold. Somebody like to tell me how this is going to happen? Lets get rid of heat first, a steam turbine mounted on top of the engine might work in an industrial application but I think it could be a little inconvenient on a F1 car. The manifold? possibly a gas turbine (like the exhaust side of a turbocharger) could drive a generator I suppose but increased back-pressure,additional mass and increased complexity seem to make it unlikely to me. Anyone know anything about this.

Asanator
    Participant

extra weight? :S

@HoHum
    Participant

@ Asanator, yes weight too, not because it would be to heavy and exceed the minimum weight, but because it would be in the wrong place,I think.

Zadak

Don’t forget that electric motors have way more torque than combustion engines. I think that with the turbo and the increased electric boost, there is a posibility that the whole power system for F1 cars in 2014 could be a bit faster than what we have now.

The acceleration boost from the bigger KERS will be much better than what we have now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.