F1

Which was your favourite season?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If you had to pick one season as your all-time favourite, which would it be – and why? Or if you can’t pick one, your top three?

Mine are:
    1988 – massive grids, Senna v Prost at its height, Senna’s first title
    2008 – see-saw battle all the way to the wire, Lewis grabs it!
    1999 – Frentzen in the mix until near the end, seems no-one able to seize an advantage until the end

Over to you!

Sir Teukka
    Participant

1999 was pretty much the first season I followed from start to finish, and it was definitely not a bad year to start.

2012 was also a fantastic season in my opinion, despite some people hating the tyre-saving and DRS. It had a lot of different winners (eight?), close racing all around and a championship battle that was decided in the last race; and not without drama.

I have to say, though, that if this season continues the way it’s been so far, it’s going to be up there.

Nic Morley
    Participant

In recent memory 2010.
    – a five way title fight.
    – Webber vs Vettel dramas
    – Ferrari team orders controversy
    – The return of Shumchacher and all the hype
    – Mercedes with their own team
    – Three new teams with Virgin, Lotus and HRT
    – Australia, Turkey, Belgium; some of the dramatic races
    – The start of Alonso’s Ferrari career
    – a very colourful grid
    – no DRS or KERS. Proper racing
    – F Duct
    – The Korean Grand Prix and that crash :(

So much happened, would love to watch the official season review.

Of course this was the first year where my favourite driver was involved in a title fight, so that made it a lot more interesting for me.

The only downsides were Bahrain and Abu Dhabi opening and closing the season.

Ben Needham
    Participant

I started watching very young and remember every season from 1997 very well (with a few scattered memories before that).

Since then my favourite seasons have been 1999, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2012.

The main things that constitute a great season for me are controversy, title fights, new faces at the front and tension throughout. These seasons certainly had oodles of all of that!

Kingshark
    Participant

– 8 different winners from 5 different teams.
    – No DRS or artificial tyres to help the racing.
    – A classic title scrap between the three most iconic teams – Ferrari, Williams, and McLaren.
    – A brilliant WDC fight between Schumacher, Raikkonen, and Montoya.
    – A lot of great races (Australia, Brazil, Austria, Nurburgring, Silverstone, Indianapolis, Japan).
    – Just about every team had their own unique livery.
    – Some old vintage teams (Minardi, Jordan, Jaguar, BAR Honda, Renault, and Toyota).
    – The rise of Raikkonen, Alonso, Button, and Webber.

Nick
    Participant

Hard to say..

1998 was my first full season, with a great comeback from Ferrari/Schumacher after being miles behind the McLaren at the start of the season. It cemented the Ferrari/McLaren rivalry as the classic title battle in my mind. Plus, it had plenty of mad races/sessions, like Spa 1998 and the Austrian GP qualifying. Not to mention some classic liveries..

2003 was a great season, as there just was a lot going on between teams, as far as the championship goes and it was a massive difference compared to 2002 and 2004..

2007, 2008 and 2010 would be my honorable mentions, great seasons all together, but ultimately the racing wasn’t always all that during those years.

2012 is probably one of the most dramatic seasons I remember, from intrigue to battling team mates, teams, team orders, reliability concerns, driver errors and heartbreak, it was the first time since 1998 I ever felt empty after the final race of the season.

Despite the off-track politics, I’d say 2014 so far is coming pretty close to 2012, too.

Broke84
    Participant

1994 and 1996, I only put 1994 in there because of the job Hill did, I was also so young that I remember very little except having a Brit to support. 1996 because of Hill winning. After 2000 I got bored and started again in 2007. 2007, 2008 and 2009 were great. and this year is brilliant.

But for nostalgia it has to be 1996 when I was 12

Sri Harsha
    Participant

In order 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012 for me

Anonymous
    Inactive

So a few takers here for 2014 – I wonder if in years to come, this year will be regarded as a classic?!

Nin13
    Participant

As @Kingshark mentioned same fro me too. 2003, and to add to that tyre wars too. One condition Michelin would be superb in other Bridgestone it was brilliant.

And also 2009- because after 1st 2 races. Qualifying used to be so close. Even Force India got pole. Only a second taking up top 18. Plus I liked race fuel qualifying as it allowed different strategy so did refueling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.