F1

Who would you have backed?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Force Maikel
    Participant

Who would you have chosen? It is a question some of us might be asking and by us I mean the people born in the nineties that have never had the privilege to see the golden ages of formula one. I’ve read many times we are being referred to as the Schumacher generation and for me that is so true. The first memories I have of seeing F1 cars going fast around a track has to be 1997. I can vividly remember the incident between Schumacher and Villeneuve, mind you I was only three years old! So my love for F1 was imprinted at very young age. Of course as any F1 fanatic I have been doing plenty of research on the history of the sport but it can never really compare to have actually seen it at the time. So now I ask some of my fellow younger F1 fanatics who do you think you could have cheered on in their respective times.

A couple of my reflections

The fifties
    -Without a doubt I would have been a major fan of Fangio, that man must have had petrol in his veins. The things he sometimes did in some of those ‘primitive’ cars are incredible and certainly ahead of his time.
    The sixties and the seventies
    -Jacky Ickx as fellow Belgian of course, naturally fast and he had a fine rivalry with the legendary Jackie Stewart on and of the track. He has won races in sportscars, Dakar and Fromula one. The only thing missing on his list is a F1 championship.
    -Niki Lauda was nicknamed “the computer” by some of his competitors and the way he handled his career just shows why. Any way you look at it he always got his way. A master at setting up his car, a rare feat in modern day formula one.
    -Clay Regazzoni is a man that has always impressed me. As a Swiss from the Italian side it was easy for him to win the hearts and minds of the Tifosi.
    The eighties and early nineties
    -Ah the eternal question: Senna or Prost? I think I would have been a Prost-man. His genius didn’t come necessarily from the driving but from his thinking (a thing no doubt sharpened by Niki Lauda when they drove for McLaren together). I have eternal respect for Senna but I don’t think I would have related to him that well had I actually lived back then.
    -Nigel Mansell the British Lion, never gave up and kept his head high, it eventually got rewarded with a long overdue championship
    -Jean Alesi, I don’t really know why but there is something about his driving style that I like, they way he turns in and how he holds the steering wheel, as if he trying to hold it as lightly as possible to make it really smooth.

And now I leave the floor to you and your thoughts

Anonymous
    Inactive

’50s: Fagioli, Ascari, Collins
    ’60s: Von Trips, R. Rodriguez, Bandini, Surtees
    ’70s: Ickx, Andretti, Scheckter
    ’80s: Villeneuve, de Angelis, Patrese
    ’90s: Patrese, Capelli, Prost, Alesi
    ’00s: Schumacher, Massa
    ’10s: Massa

Kingshark
    Participant

50’s: Alberto Ascari and Peter Collins.
    60’s: Jack Brabham and Von Trips.
    70’s: Emerson Fitipaldi and Francois Cevert
    80’s: Alain Prost and Keke Rosberg
    90’s: Michael Schumacher and Jean Alesi
    00’s: Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa
    10’s: Fernando Alonso and Nico Rosberg

Cristian
    Participant

50’s : Alberto Ascari and Tony Brooks
    60’s : Jim Clark , Dan Gurney
    70’s : Ronnie Peterson, perhaps Lauda and Fittipaldi
    80’s : Berger ,de Angelis, Lauda, maybe Piquet
    90’s : Schumacher, Herbert, Ralf, Berger, Hakkinen, Irvine
    00’s : Schumacher, Heidfeld, Button, Ralf,
    10’s : Button, Vettel, Schumi, the Hulk

wsrgo
    Participant

50’s: Ascari, Fangio
    60’s: Icks, Gurney
    70’s: Lauda, Reutemann
    80’s : Villeneuve, Prost, Berger
    90’s : Schumacher, Frentzen, Alesi
    00’s : Schumacher, Raikkonen
    10’s : Raikkonen, Alonso, Bianchi

DavidS
    Participant

50s – Moss
    60s – Brabham
    70s – Jones, but also Stewart
    80s – Jones, Mansell
    90s – I did actually back Hill, and after his retirement, the McLaren drivers (I remember the news story about McLaren launching their 97 car which had a completely new livery – I thought that the team was reinventing itself after a dismal mid 90s)
    00s – Webber
    10s – Webber

They are mostly Australian (or British drivers) because I am Australian. I’m not going to pretend that nationality wouldn’t come into consideration.

Ed Marques
    Participant

50′s: Ascari, Fangio
    60′s: Brabham, Clark, Stewart
    70′s: Fittipaldi, Lauda, Andretti
    80′s: Senna, Berger, Lauda, Alboreto
    90′s: Senna, Hill, Hakkinnen
    00′s: Hakkinnen, Raikonnen, Hamilton
    10′s: Hamilton, Raikonnen, Alonso

Craig Woollard
    Participant

’50s: Fangio & Moss
    ’60s: Clark, Brabham & McLaren
    ’70s: Stewart, Peterson, Hunt and later Lauda
    ’80s: Lauda, Watson & Senna
    ’90s: Senna, Hakkinen, Coulthard
    ’00s: Hakkinen, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Alonso (for the start of ’07 only), Button
    ’10s: Hamilton, Raikkonen, Button

DC
    Participant

50s:Moss, Ascari
    60s:Clark, Stewart
    70s:Stewart, Ickx, Andretti, maybe Lauda (because Ferrari)
    80s:Villeneuve, Senna, Mansell (and in 85 Alboreto); although i think that I would rather watch Group B
    90s:Senna, Mansell, Hakkinen
    00s:Schumacher, Raikkonen (I am a Ferrari fan since 99 and Kimi since 05)
    10s:Raikkonen, Webber, maybe Alonso (because Ferrari)
    To sum it up: I would be a follower of Ferrari all the way except for Prost, if not Ferrari than McLaren. And drivers, I think Ickx (but then i would watch Le Mans instead), Villeneuve, Senna or Mansell, Hakkinen or Schumacher and Kimi.

mnmracer
    Participant

I appreciate two types of drivers most:
    First, I really appreciate the quite types. Not per se on the track, they can be hot heads, but drivers that just do their own thing, have a good time doing what they do best, like to joke around and don’t bother with politics; just race.

I also appreciate dominant drivers. Those that driver their ass off year after year, creating their own luck and putting themselves in the best cars, to the point that they are always a force to be reckoned with. Drivers that dominate and are the mountain that other drivers fight.

Because of that, throughout history the drivers I like(d) most are Jim Clark and Sebastian Vettel. Great champions, the drivers to beat, but mostly relaxed and laidback outside of racing. Jimmy was even referred to as “The Quiet Champion”.

Following that, Kimi Räikkönen, Mika Häkkinen, Robert Kubica, Kamui Kobayashi and Robert Doornbos.
    And then of course the legendary forces of Alberto Ascari, Juan Manuel Fangio, Niki Lauda, Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher. Jackie Stewart and Alain Prost would also fit the last description, but their personalities turn me off too much.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Old school: Sir Jack & Sir Jackie
    A bit younger: Lauda, Rosberg & Jones
    Younger again: Senna …………. (Love Mansell, Berger & Alesi- Heaps of respect for Prost & Piquet)
    Mid 90’s boys- Rubens for me (all respect for the Schumi of course) and Mika.
    Now: Webber, Alonso, Button, Checo & young Aussie Dan.
    Just a fan thought of course……………. too many great drivers !!

campbell
    Participant

Good thread:

’50s: Ascari
    ’60s: Moss, Hill
    ’70s: Stewart, Lauda
    ’80s: Lauda , Villeneuve, Senna
    ’90s: Senna
    ’00s: Montoya, Alonso
    ’10s: Alonso

Diceman
    Participant

’50s: Juan-Manuel Fangio, Peter Collins, Florian Gonzales & Alberto Ascari
    ’60s: Jack Brabham, Jim Clark, Graham Hill & Chris Amon
    ’70s: Jody Scheckter, James Hunt & Ronnie Peterson
    ’80s: Keke Rosberg, Elio de Angelis & Nigel Mansell
    ’90s: Mika Häkkinen, Damon Hill, Jean Alesi & H.H Frentzen
    ’00s: Kimi Räikkönen, Giancarlo Fisichella, Felipe Massa & Robert Kubica
    ’10s: Mark Webber & Nico Hulkenberg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.