F1

Why does the European GP exists?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JPQuesado
    Participant

I’ve searched on the web and I can’t find any reason for it to exist. So I decided to ask to you, forum members, the reason for it to exist. And what’s the purpose?

bdgza
    Participant

Could always try wikipedia, especially if you can’t find anything else/better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Grand_Prix

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’ll find an explanation and evolution of the original concept here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Grand_Prix

Originally it was a title given to a certain grand prix each year. Eventually it because a way around having more than one grand prix in a country, namely Germany and Spain.

JPQuesado
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to search in English. I only searched on the portuguese google. Anyway, thanks for the link.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So basically it exists to allow two races in the same country without them having the same name.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Pretty much.

Formula 1 should take some advice from WRC and cross a national border, it might give more credibility to the ‘European’ tag.

Dougy_D
    Participant

This is how Rome could host a race alongside Monza. I like the idea of it but it needs to change every year and it should try and do street circuits.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Honestly the idea was around long before it was being used for Germany and Spain. When the Italian Grand Prix went to Imola, it was while Monza was out of commission (in 1980 if I have the year right). After that, it was popular enough to be kept on the calender and they renamed it the San Marino Grand Prix. While this isn’t the same as the European Grand Prix, the concept is the same: one country, two grands prix, capitalizing on a large number of fans in one area.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

These days, it’s largely to capitalise on the popularity and success of a certain driver. First it was Schumacher; now it’s Alonso.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Long answer: see wikipedia

Short answer: money

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.