F1

Why not just hold the DRS button down all the time during the race?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    douglaswebster
    Participant

Unless I am mistaken, in a race, it only activates if you are in the right part of the track and if you are in the right proximity to a leading car. Will the drivers just mash this button down if they are even close to those parameters and allow the electronics to decide?

Maybe they will have a qualifying steering wheel arrangement with the button at your thumb, and another for the race that activates the button if you just put your hands on the thing and runs it enabled all the time (and allows it to trip the parameters if applicable).

AndrewTanner
    Participant

The FIA have to activate it remotely when you’re within a second.

Bernard
    Participant

A light will come on indicating the wing is available and if I’m not mistaken usage will be a manual operation as a driver may not wish or need to use it at every opportunity.

douglaswebster
    Participant

That’s sort of my point, the FIA will only allow it in those narrow circumstances, but it won’t always be clear to the driver when he’s within 1 second…so why not just hold it down all the time and if you are in the right spot and close enough..it just turns on within the rules on it’s own at that point.

Perhaps you have to press the button AFTER your eligibility has been established, but I don’t understand how a driver knows if they are .9 or 1.1 seconds behind. I think you are pressing it if there is any chance it’s the right time and maybe ALL the time if you don’t have to press it AFTER you enter that part of the track.

douglaswebster
    Participant

I didn’t know about the light. Having to look for a light when you are following another car closely seems like more of a distraction than having to press a button -which is where most of the “distracted drivers” concern seems to have been directed.

Under what circumstances would you not use it if you could? Just curious if you have an example in mind?

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Getting an unexpected boost in an F1 car surely can’t be that desirable?

Bernard
    Participant

Some drivers may prefer to have a buzzer/beep played through the headset instead of a light.

If it is raining or there is a car issue that needs managing (puncture, bodywork damage etc) it may be preferable to leave the wing in it’s default position.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Well…you would want all the downforce you can get going into any corner you’re going fast enough in. Imagine losing downforce through Turn 8? No thanks!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

it won’t always be clear to the driver when he’s within 1 second

Have you not read the thread? The drivers will be informed when the conditions have been met by a light turning on in the cockpit.

douglaswebster
    Participant

It’s not going to be possible to turn in on in Turn 8 during a race.

Enigma
    Participant

there will be one overtaking area on each circuit, mostly on start/finish straights. Never in corners.

Hare
    Participant

I love this thread. PS3 driver asks F1 driver ‘serious’ question..

You are not going to want to be holding down a button that makes you loose grip on corners, or when you need to brake because you are behind a stack of drivers going in the first corner.

Speed comes at the loss of downforce and thus traction/ rear end grip. The driver needs to control those two factors very carefully so he can fully manage his cars handling dependent on the situation he finds himself in.

sw6569
    Participant

Hang on though, what the OP is suggesting isn’t wrong at all. The wing only becomes active on a certain part of the circuit (which is a straight), so feasibly every lap each driver could hold down the button on that section just in case they are allowed to use the rear wing. The OP isn’t saying that a driver would hold it down through somewhere like Turn 8 istanbul because it isn’t active during this part of the race track.

In a sport where fractions of a second are what gives you track position, I can see drivers wanting to make the most out of the rear wing speed boost – because the reaction time of a second or so when the light comes on may mean that they don’t carry enough speed to be able to pass.

There will be times when they don’t want to activate it though, but when they do surely the OP has a point, that drivers will simply mash the button until it works

Hare
    Participant

His title asks one question, pretty definitively.. His comment makes more sense.

US_Peter
    Participant

I can see that if a driver thinks he’s within the 1 second, and is approaching the zone, he may preemptively press the button in hopes that it activates. They certainly won’t just drive around holding the button down all the time though, as it won’t have any effect most of the time and they have plenty of other adjustments and tweaks to worry about on the steering wheel. As far as having a special steering wheel that automatically engages it, no team will be doing that. Period. Drivers will need to have full control over whether or not they deploy the DRS, they won’t want it automated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.