F1

Will BMW ever make a comeback to F1?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Just read an article that Renault is looking to cut down customers in the paddock. Merc won’t increase size beyond 3 teams. Ferrari is a greedy bastard and Cosworth is more like bleh. Do you think BMW can ever make a comeback to F1? I often wondered why manufacturers like VW, Audi, Volvo don’t venture here in F1?

Slr
    Participant

I often wondered why manufacturers like VW, Audi, Volvo don’t venture here in F1?

Probably because it’s too expensive in their views. I think it is a shame because I believe Formula One should have more full works car manufacturer teams in the sport.

Jack Lenox
    Participant

Yep, it’s a real shame there aren’t more big manufacturers competing in F1. I’d like to see Jaguar return, it’s a shame that what was originally their outfit has now won the triple double. Imagine what a coup it would have been for the company if it was still Jaguar (I’m not suggesting that things would have gone the same way if they had remained Jaguar – obviously the availability of Red Bull’s billions has helped them along the way.)

Are the rumours about Porsche making an entry still kicking around? I remember reading about this in a few places.

This is why Audi won’t be joining any time soon:

‘There’s a very good reason why we are not in F1,’ says Wolfgang Ullrich, Audi’s motorsport boss. ‘There’s no relevance to the road. Audi has always been engaged in motorsport that’s relevant to our customers such as rallying and touring cars, which brought quattro, FSI and TFSI to our road cars.

Jack Lenox
    Participant

Maybe we’ll see VW in one it’s guises in 2014? Just found this although it is a bit out of date.

BenH
    Participant

Rumours are currently around that a Honda engine may make a comeback, but probably not as a works team

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Hey thanks a lot @Jack Lenox for your input. I read the VW Porsche article that you shared, shame how it’s 2013 already and it’s about 17 days till the Aussie GP, haha… and we have a rough idea of all the competing teams. Thanks a lot to @Slr too.

BenH
    Participant

Thing is with that Porsche article, it was written before they put the engine date back to 2014, so it saying 2013 could just as easily read 2014 now the date has been put back

Fer no.65
    Participant

I think it has to do with what the company wants. F1 gives publicity, but in terms of developments and the costs involved, it isn’t really attractive to most manufacturers. I mean, we’ll never see a Renault with clear F1 heritage (except the Espace F1 ! remember that thing ?? it was sweeeeeeeeeet!), they just make Clios and Lagunas… But they won 2 championships, and that surely raised sales or at least enforced the company around the globe.

I guess BMW is just happy to compete directly against Audi and Mercedes in DTMs, and surely at this point Le Mans is a long way ahead of F1 in terms of future priorities.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A Honda comeback would be great!! But with the current (and extended) state of the Japenese economy, the continuos slide of the YEN it seems the Japense have walked away from F1 for the time being.

Same reasons as why KK is not on the grid in 2 weeks tomorrow.

But yes, it does seem most of the big boys arent interested in being in F1 at the moment…………………………………. :(

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

@Fer no.65, why do you say this? Actually I’m not so much into Le Mans, not very popular where I live.

Le Mans is a long way ahead of F1 in terms of future priorities.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@Aish well, consdering the costs of F1, and the incredibly difficult competition, logistics, development rate and all, F1 is tough on any new team. Even if BMW bought a team (which seems unlikely), they’ll be a long way behind.

Le Mans is more “free” in terms of development. And any good manufacturer can join and fight up there…

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

@Fer no.65 thank you, I’m gonna follow Le mans more. Cheers.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Image what the grid could’ve/would look look like if a few manufactuers and privite teams not (currently) allowed by the FIA could’ve entered.

Red Bull Racing – Renualt
    Ferrari
    McLaren – Mercedes
    Lotus – Renualt
    Honda (just a dream atm)
    Mercedes
    Porsche (or other VW)
    Sauber – Ferrari
    Williams – Renualt
    Force India – Mercedes
    Toro Rosso – Renualt
    Caterham – Renualt
    Marussia – PURE
    Brabham – Mercedes
    Scorpion Racing – PURE
    Stefan Grand Prix – Renault
    Prodrive – Honda

Roald
    Participant

In my opinion manufacturers should and eventually will return. They just don’t need their own team, they should stick to supplying engines. Look at BMW in the early 2000’s, they supplied a fairly succesful Williams team. However, they got greedy and decided they wanted to win championships with their own BMW team, which is far more costly and if they don’t succeed in their goals they’ll want to drop out within a few years. What’s wrong with being the engine supplier of a winning team? Same goes for Mercedes, they supplied McLaren when Hakkinnen won his championships and everyone knew their was a Mercedes engine in the back of that car. However, they decided they wanted their own team and now look at them struggle. Just supply engines!

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@Ronald

well put. I believe that when a Manufactuerer enters the sport, a few months before they announce the boss of the company puts on the TV and F1 is on and goes “yeah I can do that”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.