F1

Will Ricciardo Ever Drive For Toro Rosso / RedBull ? Opinions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    australian
    Participant

I was so excited when Hispania gave him a drive, thought he’d blow the doors off Luizzi ~~

Well It hasn’t exactly happened..

With this in mind, do you think it will effect Daniel Ricciardo’s chance’s of upgrading into a big boys team down the track?

Somehow, I think so . . . . .

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I was so excited when Hispania gave him a drive, thought he’d blow the doors off Luizzi

That’s the Australian media for you, blowing things out of proportion.

australian
    Participant

I am not the media, im a solo f1 fan, that was my opinion, answer the question, is it that hard to share you thoughts regarding his future drive potentials?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I don’t think he’s got much chance. He’s utterly expendable. And with constant rumours of a Toro Rosso buy-out, the one thing the team needs is continuity in the driver line-up. I haven’t been too impressed with him myself.

Enigma
    Participant

I don’t think we could’ve expected much more from him. Liuzzi is not the best f1 driver but he’s experienced and he’s got used to the car over the season. It’s also very difficult being a backmarker and he’s had more time than Daniel to figure out how to lose as little time as possible letting drivers past. In the 5 qualy sessions Ricciardo was withing two tenths of his teammate twice, and even beat him at Monza.

He’s done a great job so far, no errors, just learning along the way and I don’t think he’s done anything that would reduce his chances of getting a Toro Rosso drive. I reckon he’ll get it next year if Buemi doesn’t improve over the last races.

katederby
    Participant

In fairness Ricciardo is probably doing as well as Vettel did against Liuzzi, when he came into STR part way through the ’07 season, comparing qualifying, which for such unreliable cars is the best way of judging,

australian
    Participant

thanks for your thoughts, obviously Webber wont be around forever, utterly dissapointing with his performance this year if you want the truth, although id like to see an Aussie remain in the sport…

Doance
    Participant

Well I didn’t think Ricciardo was going to thrash Liuzzi. I thought Liuzzi would be beating Ricciardo. But Ricciardo is doing well.

raymondu999
    Participant

If you were watching FP2 with the BBC 5Live team, Wattie asked a question; Karthikeyan was only 0.045s behind Ricciardo in FP1; so is he really a super hotshot? Wattie said that if you were really paired against a young hotshot, they would absolutely demolish you. But Ricciardo has done nothing of the sort, and Liuzzi and Karthikeyan aren’t exactly superhuman drivers either.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Bear in mind that neither Karthikeyan nor Riccardo had ever driven the Singapore circuit, meaning that they spent most of their time learning it.

raymondu999
    Participant

Yes absolutely true. That has to be taken into account of course. Karthikeyan could be a quicker learner (in terms of learning lines/tricks around a circuit)

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Karthikeyan was only 0.045s behind Ricciardo in FP1”

I didn’t get Watson at all when he said this because they could have been running different programs and most importantly, I always thought a few tenths these days was a good gap to have.

electrolite
    Participant

I think driving for HRT was a mistake. Before he took Karthikeyan’s place, there was a bit of myth about him being a pretty special driver and there all this mystery and excitement about what he’d do in a Red Bull. Now he might as well be Jerome D’Ambrosio or something.

matt90
    Participant

I don’t understand a lot of peoples’ view here. He qualified one place behind Liuzzi in his first 4 races, but has out-qualified him in the last 2. In races where they have both finished Ricciardo is beating Liuzzi 2-1. He’s a new driver jumping into a poor F1 car mid-season, using DRS which he has no experience of. How much more can you expect from him? It looks like he might be now up to speed.

Although at the moment in his 2nd season of World Series he is only 3rd, which doesn’t look that impressive.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ricciardo has done a pretty good job actually. He isn’t an extremely aggressive driver like Hamilton, he is more Button esq, he is learning the car and putting in more and more competitive drives.

Daniel has now out qualified Liuzzi two races in a row and if not for his mechanical DNF’s would have out driven him too.

He outplaced Liuzzi today at Singapore (despite losing his front wing on lap 1) and overall has been going very well. I expect Daniel to be ahead for the remainder of the season.

The reason he is at HRT is so he can learn the F1 process and imo to come from no experience to out qualifying and out performing your team mate in a few races is a job pretty well done imo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.