F1

Worst car to win a grand prix?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

Just wondering – what do you all think is the worst car to win a grand prix? ie a car that shouldn’t have been battling for the win but did. For me – if Senna had won that 1984 Monaco that would probably be top contender. Maybe Panis 1996 Monaco or Fisi’s 2003 Brazil drive?

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I think Fisi at Brazil in 2003. That car was just plain naff the rest of the races and it was quite a fortunate win.

Panis’ win at Monaco 96 was one of those rare occasions when the driver is on it, the conditions suit him, the car works well and he has some good luck, so I think on that day the car wasn’t bad.

Girts
    Participant

I think you have listed some very good candidates. I’ll add Johnny Herbert’s (Stewart-Ford) victory at Nurburgring in 1999.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

Think you answered your own question with Fisichella, you’ll be hard pushed to find a worse Grand Prix winning car. It only scored three more points all season and this was when points went down to 8th too. The Ligier wasn’t that bad, it was a solid midfield car.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

If only Damon Hill’s Arrows hadn’t let him down Hungaroring 1997! I was only 6, still hurts even now :)

Slr
    Participant

I can’t really think of anything worse than the 2003 Jordan which won a Grand Prix, but Fisichella really did a great job that day and deserved that win.

I guess you could also say the STR3 which was probably the 6th best car at the time.

GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

@Slr in those conditions it was arguably fastest, Bourdais did 2nd fastest lap and was points scoring car

raymondu999
    Participant

@GeorgeDaviesF1 don’t forget Bourdais was on a wet setup, Vettel on a dry one.

GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

@raymondu999 that supports the theory they could of had a 1-2

Bullfrog
    Participant

The top teams too have sometimes had to make winners out of cars that weren’t their finest hour.

The 2009 McLaren springs to mind, it was hopeless at the beginning of the season. And I recall when Nigel Roebuck was asked this question in a Q&A, he went for the 1984 Williams, which apparently had evil handling and turbo lag, but Rosberg won one of the street races in it.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Bullfrog to be honest that McLaren was never a bad design. As in, the car was slow – but the development wasn’t as fierce as McLaren would have you believe. Once they sorted out the front wing endplates and weight distribution; the car was back to winning ways.

GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

@Bullfrog Dallas 1984 I think that was, he had water skullcap or something to keep him cool

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

Talk of evil handling reminded me of Gilles Villeneuve winning at Monaco and Jarama in 1981, that car was fairly terrible.

GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

Good drivers in bad cars makes for good viewing IMO

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think you could call the 1996 Ligier all that bad considering it was a re-sprayed Benetton B196.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.