Formula 3.5 V8

2013 World Series by Renault, Hungaroring

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    wsrgo
    Participant

Formula Renault 3.5 practice saw Red Bull junior Carlos Sainz Junior on top, with teammate William Buller in 3rd, while the universal pay driver sandwiched he Zeta Corses in his ISR. The two Danes were next up, the Lotus junior leading the McLaren junior. Stevens, Felix da Costa, Mueller, Vandoorne and Pic closed out the top 10. It was a poor session for Tech1 Racing, with ex-GP2 driver Nigel Melker only 17th, and series veteran Mikhail Aleshin down in 24th.

Ludwig
    Participant

It must be pouring with rain in Budapest: live timing shows that, with 4 minutes to go, quali 1 is red-flagged, and the fastest time so far is 2.04.492 (test 2: 1.29.185). Also, 6 drivers haven’t set a lap time yet.

wsrgo
    Participant

Qualifying results:
    1. Andre Negrao
    2. Nico Mueller
    3. Mikhail Aleshin
    4. Antonio Felix da Costa
    5. Will Stevens
    6. Universal Pay Driver
    7. Marlon Stockinger
    8. Pietro Fantin
    9. Nigel Melker
    10. Matias Laine

James McGrenery
    Participant

I don’t understand, who is “Universal Pay Driver”?

Edit: Oh I get it now, that seems a little unfair

wsrgo
    Participant

@gronrie I know it’s unfair, it’s terribly unfair on him, people lambasting him, people saying things about him, which they wouldn’t say even about Chilton, people who are not even giving him a chance. So being fed up, I decided to become sarcastic.

wsrgo
    Participant

RACE 1 Results (first 4 laps under Safety Car)
    1. Nico Muller (Draco)
    2. Kevin Magnussen (DAMS), 26 seconds behind Muller
    3. Universal Pay Driver (ISR)
    4. Stoffel Vandoorne (Tech1)
    5. Mikhail Aleshin (Tech1)
    6. Nigel Melker (Tech1)
    7. Carlos Sainz, Jr. (Arden Caterham)
    8. Will Stevens (Strakka)
    9. Arthur Pic (AV)
    10. Matias Laine (Strakka)

Melker, Laine, Sainz Jr, and Martsenko under investgation.

the_sigman
    Participant

RACE 1 Results (first 4 laps under Safety Car)
    1. Nico Muller (Draco)
    2. Kevin Magnussen (DAMS), 26 seconds behind Muller
    3. Universal Pay Driver (ISR)
    4. Stoffel Vandoorne (Tech1)
    5. Mikhail Aleshin (Tech1)
    6. Nigel Melker (Tech1)
    7. Carlos Sainz, Jr. (Arden Caterham)
    8. Will Stevens (Strakka)
    9. Arthur Pic (AV)
    10. Matias Laine (Strakka)

Melker, Laine, Sainz Jr, and Martsenko under investgation.

Hahaha! @wsrgo thanks again :)

andae23
    Participant

Quite an excellent race, stunning drives from Mueller and Magnussen. Da Costa again doing himself no favours by colliding on lap one. And Melker P3 in the championship! How did that happen!?

wsrgo
    Participant

@sigman1998 You’re welcome, mate…:)

Nick
    Participant

Magnussen seems to be gripping on to the title lately, while Stoffel (I have a great-aunt whose name is Stoffertje, so his name keeps being funny to me) isn’t far off. Still, thinking it’ll be Kevin over Stoffel in the end.

Sirotkin is so terrible, finishing 3rd. He is so going to crash into everyone next year in F1, his racing is so poor. Clearly, his father paid everyone else to let him go through. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

@andae23 Melker has been very consistent this year. Last year in GP2 he had great races and then some uninspiring drives, but he seems to have traded the latter for more consistent and reliable runs. 3rd in the championship is pretty amazing, though. Unlike da Costa..

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I agree that “Universal Pay Driver” is unfair.

To me, a pay driver is someone who makes up for their lack of talent by paying for a seat. The less talent they have, the more money they pay.

However, you don’t get podium finishes in a series like Formula Renault 3.5 without first having talent. Sirotkin is no different to any other driver who has a sponsorship portfolio. Accusing him of being a pay driver is therefore incredibly unfair.

Max Jacobson
    Participant

Da Costa just seems to be losing the plot, which is a great shame as his 2012 campaign was nothing short of astonishing. He really needs to put in a good race tomorrow.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Sounds to me like Felix da Costa is really feeling the pressure or something. Maybe Marko told him top 3 finishes (podiums or championship) to secure the Toro Rosso seat for next year… Would he have been likely 3rd here without the early collision? Best of the rest? Or would he be more towards 6/7th. Aleshin, who he was racing, managed 5th. Are FR 3.5 races watchable?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Following in the tradition of John Newhouse and Williams No.1! We present to you for 2014 – Universal Pay Driver! This is who you will be locked into playing as in F1 2014 :D!

Nick
    Participant

@fastiesty Races are typically interesting enough to follow, but there have been some processional events. A race like today’s wet race is very good, though, and typically battles can last for the entire race.

@Prisoner-Monkeys The name is used in jest, much like my nudges and winks in my earlier post. If you think the international F1 online community is giving Sirotkin (who is no Vettel, but certainly no Deletraz either) a hard time, you should see some of the Netherlands’ F1 sites comments’ sections. People there seem infinitely butthurt (I shan’t consider it more than that) over Frijns losing his role at Sauber ‘to Sirotkin’. I’ve pointed out on some sites that Sirotkin might be young and it might indeed be too soon for him to debut in F1 next year, but he has more experience in open-wheeled Formula cars than Dutch forum favorites Raikkonen and Verstappen combined when they entered F1. Verstappen was sloppy in 1994, but according to Dutch fans, Sirotkin will be downright dangerous, slow, impeding other drivers and the FIA should ‘step in’, because ‘F1 is becoming a farce’ because of Sirotkin. Again, it stems more from the gut feeling that he is ‘replacing’ Frijns (their words, not mine) than any rational facts.

I don’t get it when people say Sirotkin has ‘no appealing results’ in lower formulae either. Doing 2 Formula Abarth championships in 2011 (becoming champion and vice-champion in a series future Ferrari star Marciello finished 3rd in 2010 isn’t bad), combining Auto GP (3rd in series) with F3 (5th in European series and 6th in Italian F3) last year and now getting his second podium finish in FR 3.5 , isn’t the racing of some also-ran. He has won races, beat talented youngsters on track and has funding. I don’t consider myself a fan of Sergey Sirotkin; but I do consider it a good idea to rate drivers on their results and talent, as opposed to ‘they took our jobs!’ kind-of mentalities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.