Formula 3.5 V8

Huge crash for Merhi in Formula Renault 3.5

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Roberto Merhi was involved in a huge crash at the end of today’s first Formula Renault 3.5 race at the Red Bull Ring.

Merhi crossed the finishing line in fourth place but slowed down immediately and was hit from behind by Nicholas Latifi. Both climbed from their cars afterwards.

Merhi was actually classified in 11th place as he’d been given a ten-second time penalty for failing to obey track limits during the race.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, I’m kinda curious to why Merhi slowed the car till almost stationary.

Lack of fuel?

Bullfrog
    Participant

If that slowing down wasn’t a car problem then I hope they ban him – from Formula Renault, F1, everything. For a few weeks, long enough to miss a couple of races.
    Brainless lack of consideration for other competitors – and all the team folks lining the pitwall at the finish of a race.

Merhi has been thrown out of race one and barred from participating in race two for causing the crash.

It’s a tough decision but I think it’s the correct one. It’s simply too dangerous to slow down that suddenly after the finishing line.

Enigma
    Participant

Dillmann, who was right behind Latifi before the crash and had to take evasive action, believes Merhi tried to lay down rubber on his second race grid spot (2nd place).

The crash happened right in front of me as I was watching the final lap of the race from the grandstand. Unfortunately I can’t provide any interesting insight as I wasn’t paying attention to Merhi until I heard the crash (I was watching those who were still going across the line – didn’t quite expect a crash after the chequered flag). Latifi didn’t look particularly angry with Merhi, though – quite a contrast to Celis, who seemed absolutely furious after the first lap crash (caused by van Buuren I believe), which I also saw first-hand :)

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

While Merhi has taken the brunt of the criticism, it always takes two to tango – questions should also be asked on what Latifi and Dillmann were doing after the chequer. Latifi must have been looking in his mirrors for Dillmann to have basically just rammed Merhi at full speed. Cars slow after the finish line – but those two looked like they were still racing to the start line.

@enigma
    Nice. I imagine Van Buuren learned why grass is more of a deterrent to full throttle than concrete or astroturf run-off..

mark adams
    Participant

In the drivers meeting racers where told to stay full trotle until the turn 1 braking zone Latifi and dillmann did nothing wrong

Enigma
    Participant

@fastiesty Good point – hopefully it’s a lesson learnt!

Looking at the replays, Latifi really might have done better to avoid Merhi – I guess it took him by surprise. Doesn’t make it anything less than Merhi’s fault, though.

Here’s Merhi’s explanation. Does anyone believe him?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.