Going to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone

Ear Defenders needed for 2014 cars?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Oli
    Participant

Hi all,

Heading to Silverstone next week and I was wondering whether I will need ear defenders with the new 2014 power units being quieter than last year’s engines? I picked up some ear defenders at last year’s Singapore GP so didn’t know whether it’s worth it? We’ll be at Stowe for Sunday. Thanks in advance!

Mark
    Participant

I’m taking my 10 year old boy for his first time to Silverstone this year (2015). I haven’t been for a few years (when ear defenders & site radio were a must), so if anyone can answer Oli’s question about the new engines/noise (2014/15), I would be grateful, so we can be prepared. We’ll be standing trackside (not sure where best). Thanks, anyone?

Dan
    Participant

I cant answer if you need ear deffenders or not but, I found that they are useful in other ways then when the cars are on track. If you put ear phones on underneath them (assuming you are trying to listen to commentary etc.) its easier to hear what is being said as it blocks out noise from the crowd as well as air horns. Trust me if you can DO NOT SIT anywhere near an air horn!!!!

Mark
    Participant

Thanks for the response, Dan. We did the same with site radio to earphones under industrial (B&Q) ear protectors, last time I went to V8 Formula 1 – otherwise your skull exploded when screaming cars came by (especially reverberating in the tin grandstands). I’d say the site radio is still essential, on earphones or headphones, to follow what’s happening, but just wondered if anyone had an opinion/experience on whether ear defenders are still wise with the new lawnmower engines, especially for my 10 year old boy who hasn’t been before. We’ll be standing trackside for the first time. I’d guess that’s louder than grandstand. Any advice gratefully received.

jsw11984
    Participant

When I went to the Australian grandprix in 2014, I certainly didn’t need them and I did 4 years earlier with the 2010 cars.

Not only are the new cars quieter the noise is also lower pitched and for me that was a bigger difference than the noise level itself. When the V8 super-cars went round they were equally as loud as what the 2010 car was but because it was more of a rumble than a scream I didn’t need the earplugs.

So, no I don’t believe you would need them, they aren’t that loud and the pitch doesn’t hurt your ears as much even so.

BrawnGP
    Participant

In my opinion ear defenders are no longer needed for F1, however you may still want them for the GP2 as thats still quite loud.

Mark
    Participant

Thanks guys, that’s helpful

nil db
    Participant

I went to Silverstone last year & I didn’t need ear defenders for the 2014 cars but ear defenders were available for the GP2 cars in the support races. You can buy them there.

Mark
    Participant

Thanks, that’s useful (if there are any F1 cars left by then!)

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

As already said above, I didn’t need when I went to Silverstone last year, even for the start line. It was much the same for the support races as well. The noise level is good I think, it’s certainly not quiet, but I wouldn’t say damaging by any means.

Only things I would suggest is a chair if you’re not in the grandstands, and sun block. Wasn’t even that warm last year, and I got severely burned!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.