Going to the Hungarian Grand Prix at Hungaroring

Local commentary

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

Hi guys,

I know this was asked the year before, but figured I’d ask since there should be some fresh knowledge on this. Is there any English language commentary option available at the Hungaroring?

I haven’t been to a non-English speaking country Grand Prix since Spa 2012, where we had FanVision. This meant that although the speaker system was in French and mostly faulty, we still had a good idea of what was going on elsewhere around the track thanks to the English language radio commentary available on FanVision. We went to Silverstone last year so I just took a radio and listened to Radio Silverstone/5Live so this wasn’t an issue.

We’re planning on heading to Hungary next year for the Grand Prix, so I’d really like to know what options there are.

Madi Murphy
    Participant

Hi

My friends and I go to the Hungaroring every year. Much as we were very sad to lose Fanvision after 2012, it’s easier to live without it in Hungary than at other circuits because the nature of the Hungaroring is such that you can see so much of the track, it’s very easy to follow what’s going on. Also there are a fair amount of jumbotrons so wherever you’re sitting, you can watch all the action.

The trackside commentary alternates between Hungarian, English and German. They don’t broadcast it on a radio channel (or at least, if they do, they don’t publicise the frequency! Last year we took radios and tried to find the commentary but couldn’t, and given how loud the cars were it was pretty much impossible to hear the PA system.) One of the bonuses of the engines being quieter now is that you can actually hear some of the commentary during the race!

My advice would be to go for one of the grandstands (or GA areas) around the last corner because you get a vast view of the track, the pit lane entry, and a screen, so even when you can’t hear or understand commentary you’ll be able to follow it all.

Alan
    Participant

Thanks for the response and will take your advice on the last corner, looked a pretty good place to watch it from by the TV coverage too.

What’s the cellular signal like out there? I’m wondering if it would be worth picking up a data package to see live timing at least.

Madi Murphy
    Participant

Phone signal is pretty good at the track. I’d looked into getting a data package this year before I left for Hungary, but my network’s offer was too expensive to be worthwhile. Not that I could have stood to take my eyes off the track during the race anyway!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.