Going to the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang

Autograph sessions 2013 Sepang

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    KLCC88
    Participant

Hi all, just about to head over to Malaysia for the GP..wanted to know from fanatics that’s been to the sepang race if they know the best place to search for drivers autograph session….

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Best bet would be a day or two before the race at the KLCC Mall. Don’t you have some hook up there? You might could jump the queue!

codesurge
    Participant

I believe they had an autograph session at the track on Friday or Saturday when I was there back in 2011, but decided to pass on it as I’d heard from friends that it tends to develop into quite a scrum with massive lines waiting for the more popular teams/drivers.

Alex green
    Participant

chen your going paddock club just give it one of the serfs to get all the autographs for you whilst you sip on a cold cocktail!!! :)

KLCC88
    Participant

@Alex, wished it was that easy…LOL…yeah head to paddock…heard Fridays are dead there so maybe I can see what they can do for me….I hate lines! LOL…probably skip the concerts as I did in Singapore last year and ended up just staying back and drinking…lol

Anonymous
    Inactive

Chen- If you are in the Paddock Club you will get plenty of access to the drivers but need to get them at a good time.

I am not sure if you have been Paddock Club before but depending on the Suite you are in (or the host) will depend. In Melbourne last year we were in Lotus- had an apperance from Romain (and most didnt know him to be honest) and a cameo by Kimi (no funny “leave me alone” comments as he actually did no speak at all!!!) .

Japan PC last year was much better for driver apperances. We booked through Book F1 (UK) and instead of having a suite of VIP’s, at Suzuka Mercedes, Torro Rosso, Williams & Sauber all had 2 tables of VIP’s- so we had drivers from all come up for a visit. If you just want an autograph or photo its fine, but a longer chat is harder and better to get them on the way out and most will spend some time.

In Melbourne last year we had people on our table who would sit down, watch the TV and be shocked when I showed them a photo of Webber & I, or my mate & Massa etc. The drivers do wander a fair it due to their committments so wander around and you will see a fair few. Most are very good for a quick photo as they are very busy of course, but I say go for a walk instead of watching the TV and you will bump into heaps of people.

PS- If you see Sir Jackie Stewart do make the time to say hello, this guy is a gem!!!!

KLCC88
    Participant

@Garns thanks for the info. I was at PC last year at Singapore and had a suite right in front of the start/finish line and had the Toro Rosso team tables in our suite. I had lots of pictures from my suite balcony of the drivers and their paddock residences….Webber bumped into me coming out of the washroom which pretty funny…also had massa come by the corridors…Jackie just seemed to be everywhere! LOL. Just wished I was able to get down to their paddock area for photos…but that’s secondary to the race of course.

codesurge
    Participant

If you hang around in the walkway outside the PC, you’d be surprised at how many people you can bump into, especially on Friday as it’s less busy for the teams compared to Sat/Sun. In particular, the less famous drivers usually get ignored by the bulk of the champagne-sipping crowd so they’re more willing to pause to chat.

KLCC88
    Participant

Yeah….I noticed that at the Singapore GP last year…most of the less known drivers were great in dealing with fans for autographs and pictures. The top guys are less approachable and less visible except if you are at the PC balconies…great views of the drivers and what they do on a day to day basis at the track…

sbl on tour
    Participant

from experience these are a right royal waste of time, if youre lucky you get a scrawl, when you look at it after, it looks like nothing, take the camera and get a pic, think thats a better option

was at le mans last year for the drivers parade, now that was mega, funnily enough the 2 blokes who had the biggest scowl on their bakes (faces) were the 2 ex f1 drivers….. heidfeld and fisi…now that tells a story

KLCC88
    Participant

Yeah…I agree with you on the autograph sessions….I just was looking to grab some photos with them but the hundreds of photos I took from the PC area of the drivers, teams and guest were priceless…better then seeing some scratches I guess..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Chen- you will have a blast mate – enjoy it!!
    Please send some photos!!

I went to the Clipsal 500 today (Adelaide Supercars) with the Fam -Casey Stoner DNF (: I hated the line ups – while the Paddock Club cost a shit load, you really get your money worth if you are a REAL F1 fan.
    My wife & I was invited into the Williams Motorhome for a beer- Bruno done a great happy birthday for my brother-in-law and easily one of the best times of my life!!

Not all can spend money on the Paddock Cllub as it does cost- those who can please do, it is one life experiances that wont be forgotten!!!!!!!

KLCC88
    Participant

Garns…thanks, I’m sure it will be a blast as it was last year in Singapore at PC. I’ll probably spend half the time there on Friday since it’ll be pretty dead but should be fun!. I do and will take in everything the PC has to offer like I did in Singapore. Cost a lot forsure and especially traveling from Canada but it’s my one time per year treat to myself…thanks partly to wife and kids for letting me spend the time and money to go on my own! LOL…

Here’s my vantage point from last Year’s Singapore GP from PC suite…

KLCC88
    Participant

Here’s a quick vid of Lewis going for practice from the balcony of the PC suite.

Anonymous
    Inactive

GOLD- thats where the extra money goes mate!!!!!

I am taking my father-in-law to the Paddock Club in Melbourne in 2 weeks- his first time for REAL F1- he saw the Grand Prix in Adelaide in about 1988 – behind an overpass!!

We are staying at Crown, where all the drivers stay. (well most anyway).Will be pretty awesome!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.