Going to the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas

Going to the 2013 United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Discussion area for people going to the 2013 United States Grand Prix.

Clive Robinson
    Participant

Book accommodation now–most places quoting $250 per night plus, Days inn crossroads still at regular price. Not posh but if you are on a budget………..

Nathan

hello all new to this forum, im interested in going to austin GP this year, i have never been to a GP before so just looking for some information where would be the best places to stay (not expensive) and when do tickets go on sale for this event? cheers

Steve Heyman
    Participant

I too am new to this forum. I live in Austin and last year’s race was my first GP (live). Incredible. I have lived here for 17 years so I know the area pretty well – if anyone has questions about Austin I’d be more than happy to help out.

Steve Heyman
    Participant

Nathan, most hotels ratchet up their prices when a big event comes to town. I am pretty sure that the standard types of rooms are available for around $250+ per night (which is probably 3x their normal price). Tickets aren’t on sale yet, but you can sign up for email “warnings” from http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com and probably formula1.com as well.

angelflorida
    Participant

I want to go this year because I couldn’t go last year. I’m planing to buy the tickets and book a hotel by May or June. Is probably going to be more expensive if I wait too long but I don’t really have the money right now. Also I’m probably just going to be there Saturday and Sunday. I wish I could be there Thursday and the whole weekend but 250/night for 3 nights seems a lot. Plane tickets shouldn’t be that expensive since I live in Florida. What are some good sits to see good action and close to a big screen?…I’m willing to pay between 300-500 US dollars. Thanks.

Steve Heyman
    Participant

We sat high up at turn 12 and the tickets were $475. Great spot, right at the end of the DRS zone. There are screens all over – pretty much every grandstand has a screen (or 2).

Bluelions
    Participant

Tickets go on sale March 21.
    news article

2013 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX TICKET PRICES

TICKET TYPE PRICE PER PERSON (three-day pass)

General Admission: $169

Reserved Grandstand Bleachers: $299
    Turns 3, 4, 5, and 11

Reserved Grandstand Bleachers: $349
    Turn 9

Reserved Grandstand Bleachers: $499
    Turn 12

Reserved Premium Seats: $500 to $650
    Main Grandstand Lower Level,
    Main Grandstand East and West,
    Turns 1 and 15

Reserved Premium Seats: $1,000 to $1,200
    Main Grandstand Mezzanine or Club Level

Bluelions
    Participant

I went last year and sat at Turn 11 E. It was OK but I am considering turn 1 or 15 this year. Turn 11 was a long walk from the main entrance. There was supposedly a shuttle bus to all the gates, but it seemed like one single bus every 30 minutes or so.
    My in-laws live in Austin, so I don’t have any hotel recommendations.
    We used a shuttle bus from the airport to the track that worked well, but the wait for the bus on Sunday after the race was at least an hour. It seemed like forever. The sun was almost down by the time we left, and there were many more people still waiting. We might try to get on-site parking this year.

codesurge
    Participant

@bluelions Were you able to see down the back straight from your seat at T11 East? I sat at Turn 5 last year thinking that I’d be able to look across the track to Turn 12 but the view was obstructed.

Bluelions
    Participant

@codesurge, we could see part of the back straight, but there is a slight hill in the middle of the track there and you definitely could not see all the way to turn 12. We were in row 1. Maybe if you are up higher in the stands you could see more. We could see the cars getting close on the back straight but missed most of the real action at the end of the straight at turn 12.

Bluelions
    Participant

I got tickets for turn 12. I wanted turn 1 or 15, but they appeared to be sold out by the time I got my order in. I also got a parking pass for lot F. See y’all there!

codesurge
    Participant

@bluelions Thanks for the info. Have been tempted by Turn 9 as it seems that with a good pair of binoculars and a high enough seat, you can see the Turn 12 braking zone. Would probably go for Turn 12 itself if they had offered a cheaper tier for the lower seats like they did last year.

Either way, I’m expecting more grandstand seats to trickle out later based on last year’s experience so I’ll likely hold off on my purchase for now. Given that this is the second year of the race, it’s lost the inaugural luster and I’m expecting ticket demand to be lower this time around.

Steve Heyman
    Participant

I would expect the opposite – people may have waited to see how the first year went. Since it was such a raging success, more folks are going to give it a shot this year. We will see.

Note that on Friday you can pretty much sit anywhere you want – they weren’t checking tickets. Our seats were in turn 12 but we spent time in every grandstand just to get the feel of the whole track.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.