Formula Two

2018 Formula Two drivers and teams

• This topic has 21 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

With the Formula Two season finale coming up this weekend we can expect to hear the first driver moves.

One of the coveted seats at Prema has gone to Sean Gelael, who’ll be in his third year at this level next season. He finished 15th in 2016 and is in the same position with two races left this year so big progress will be expected in 2017.

Prema is delighted to announce that Sean Gelael will drive for the team in the 2018 FIA Formula 2 Championship

A 21-year-old from Jakarta, Indonesia, Gelael is an experienced driver, having started his single-seater career back in 2012. After lining-up for the Formula Abarth and Formula Pilota China Championships, he moved to Formula 3 competition in 2013 and then made a further step in 2015, joining the Formula Renault 3.5 championship and later the GP2 Series.

His accomplishments include a positive stint in endurance racing, with two wins in the Asian Le Mans Series. He also already made his way to Formula 1, debuting as a test driver for Toro Rosso and scoring outstanding results in his free practice runs.

With his great deal of experience and knowledge of the top Formula 2 venues, Sean will be a valuable asset for Prema in 2018, in a season that will feature a brand-new car for teams and drivers to develop.

He will join the Prema team for post season testing right after the 2017 finale at Abu Dhabi, with the goal of establishing good chemistry with the team and their work methods so to lay great foundations for the season ahead.

René Rosin – Team Principal
    “I’m proud to welcome Sean to our team. With his multifaceted experience, he will definitely be a key resource for the 2018 Formula 2 season as we will need to adapt to a brand-new car. In our first year in the series, we decided to field a mix of an experienced driver and a rookie, while this season we went for an all-rookie program. In both cases, the results proved us right. For next year though, there will be a new factor in play and we will rely on experience to speed-up the development of the 2018 Dallara. Having raced and adapted himself to such diverse environments in the past, I’m sure that Sean will be able to meet his expectations and contribute to more success for the team.”

Sean Gelael
    “Driving for such a successful team, so rich in history, is a great opportunity for every driver. Hopefully we will be able to build something important together with the team. We will go for a strong start at the Abu Dhabi post season tests to build the momentum. Everything will be new next year, a new car and challenge. I’m excited to take the next step for my third year in Formula 2 and hopefully we can achieve some good results.”

WheelToWheel
    Participant

At the moment I can see something like this happening

Prema – De Vries and Gelael
    ART – Russell and Albon
    DAMS – Latifi and Aitken
    Carlin – Norris and Zhou
    Trident – Fuocco and Alesi
    Racing Engineering – Sette Camara and Boschung
    Fortec – Celis Jr and Van Kalmthout
    Charouz – Fittipaldi and Menchana
    Campos – Palou and Hyman
    Arden – Fukuzumi and Makino
    Trident – Ferucci and Jeffri

As rumoured, Carlin has signed Lando Norris and he’ll be joined by Sergio Sette Camara:

Carlin is proud to announce its driver line-up for the 2018 FIA Formula 2 Championship. 2017 FIA Formula 3 European Champion Lando Norris and Brazilian F2 race winner Sérgio Sette Câmara will join the British team on its return to the Formula 1 feeder series in 2018.

British racer Norris made his debut in single seaters with Carlin in the F4 British Championship in 2015, impressing from the outset taking eight victories on his way to the 2015 title. Norris went on to win the Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup championship the following year, in a stunning season which also saw the Somerset born teenager claim titles in Formula Renault 2.0 NEC, the Toyota Racing Series in New Zealand and race wins in BRDC British F3 for Carlin.

Norris’ potential was recognised when he became the winner of the 2016 McLaren Autosport BRDC Award, earning him a place on McLaren’s Young Driver programme. Carlin and Norris continued their race winning relationship in 2017 in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship. A stunning season with 20 podiums and nine race wins took Norris to rookie and overall championship honours, with Norris also becoming the youngest ever FIA Formula 3 Champion. A second place in last weekend’s Macau Grand Prix topped off a stunning season, with Norris also becoming McLaren’s 2018 Formula 1 reserve and test driver.

Sette Câmara is already a race winner in the FIA Formula 2 Championship, taking two podiums and a race win in the Spa-Francorchamps Sprint race in his rookie season. The 19 year-old Brazilian has previously enjoyed success with Carlin, taking a third place in last year’s Macau Grand Prix, joining then team mate and race winner Antonio Felix da Costa on the podium. Sette Câmara was a star again in this year’s Macau Grand Prix, leading the majority of the race before crashing out on the last corner after a dual with Carlin’s Ferdinand Habsburg, in arguably the most exciting Macau Grand Prix of all time.

Following a sabbatical from the Formula 1 feeder series in 2017, Carlin return to FIA Formula 2, formerly GP2 Series, a category that has previously delivered race winning success for the Surrey based team. A 12-race calendar and an all new FIA F2 car, powered by a 620hp 3.4-litre turbocharged engine will provide the teams with a new challenge for the 2018 season.

Speaking about his 2018 programme, Norris said, “2018 will be my fourth year racing with Carlin. Trevor heads up a great operation at Carlin and I feel part of the ‘family’ there. It’s a friendly environment and one in which I feel very comfortable in. Next year will be a steep learning curve in terms of getting used to the increased power, the Pirelli tyres and mandatory pit stops but I feel I’m in the best environment possible to get to grips with all those elements.”

2018 team mate Sette Câmara added, “To be signing with Carlin is the best. They are a top team and I know they will be up there. I had previous experience with Carlin in Macau in 2016 and it was amazing to finish third in such an important race with them. The environment within the team, with the other drivers, the mechanics, the engineers is just so happy and positive, I’m looking forward to spending the season with the team in such a big championship. To have such a strong team mate as Lando, who is so highly regarded is really motivating. We will push each other to the limit to be better drivers and to get Carlin the results it deserves as a team. Thanks to my family and my sponsors who make this possible, I’m very grateful for this opportunity.”

Trevor Carlin added, “I’m delighted that we’re able to announce a fantastic driver line-up on our return to the F1 support paddock. With Lando and Sérgio we have one of the most exciting young line-ups there is. We’re extremely proud to be able to continue for the fourth consecutive season our relationship with Lando. It’s extremely rewarding to continue working with a driver up the FIA ladder. It will be a great benefit having Sérgio’s season of experience at this level with the Pirelli tyres and we know having worked with him before his great speed and potential. The whole team is very excited about the challenges and season ahead.”

Kavin you have 2 tridents.

WheelToWheel
    Participant

Oh i forgot MP Motorsport. I heard Kemi Labiberte is supposed to be doing F2 this year, so he may take a MP seat

WheelToWheel
    Participant
    WheelToWheel
    Participant

Also I got some things wrong.

Albon will move to DAMS and Aitken will be at ART

Hugh
    Participant

Will be interesting to see Gelael at Prema. Will he be terrible even at Prema?
    Also very excited for Carlin joining Formula 2, and they have a good line up. Norris is excellent as we all know, and Sette Camara really impressed me towards the end of the year.

hahostolze
    Participant

Yes, he will be terrible at Prema. And, for all my enthusiasm about De Vries joining Prema and automatically being favourite for the title on that basis, he’s only there to be a driver coach to Gelael, basically the Gelaels have Strolled Prema. It’s going to be interesting what that has as consequences.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If Gelael is the excellent development driver Toro Rosso say he is, then he will help Prema be dominant even with the new Dallara… and de Vries can take the results that count.

Aitken’s seat at ART has been confirmed:

http://www.art-grandprix.com/news/line-formula-2-2018

Aitken’s team mate at ART will be George Russell:

http://www.art-grandprix.com/news/line-formula-2-2018-0

Luca Ghiotto goes into his third year of the category with Campos:

http://camposracing.com/campos-racing-announces-luca-ghiotto-for-formula-2-assault/

That means 10 drivers have been confirmed so far for 2018:

Prema

Nyck de Vries
    Sean Gelael

ART

Jack Aitken
    George Russell

Carlin

Lando Norris
    Sergio Sette Camara

Charouz

Louis Deletraz
    Antonio Fuoco

Arden

Nirei Fukuzumi
    TBC

Campos

Luca Ghiotto
    TBC

MP

TBC
    TBC

Racing Engineering

TBC
    TBC

DAMS

TBC
    TBC

Fortec

TBC
    TBC

Trident

TBC
    TBC

A disappointing development today as F2 has confirmed Racing Engineering and Fortec won’t participate. Russian Time will return, however, meaning we’re back to 10 teams and 20 cars.

FIA Formula 2 Championship promoters are pleased to confirm that ten teams have been entered for the 2018 season. Reigning Champions RUSSIAN TIME will be back on the grid whilst Racing Engineering and Fortec Motorsports who had initially showed an interest in competing in 2018 ultimately have decided to step back this season.

The 2018 grid will comprise two British outfits (Arden International and Carlin), two French teams (ART Grand Prix and DAMS), two Italian squads (PREMA Racing and Trident), one Czech team (Charouz Racing System), one Dutch team (MP Motorsport), one Spanish team (Campos Racing), and one Russian outfit (RUSSIAN TIME).

FIA Formula 2 CEO Bruno Michel said: “I’m very pleased to confirm that our reigning champions RUSSIAN TIME will join the 2018 grid.

“I would like to thank Alfonso de Orléans-Borbón and the whole Racing Engineering team for their dedication and hard work over the years. I’m looking forward to renewing our fruitful collaboration in the near future.

“I’m also sorry to see Fortec Motorsports step back this season, but this was a joint decision. We will reconsider their entry when the conditions are more favourable. I feel it best for our championship to limit the number of teams in 2018 to ten. I know they will provide yet again an incredible show.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.