Formula Two

Buxton to bid 'a very warm goodbye' to GP2/3 in Abu Dhabi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

Will Buxton will commentate on his final GP2 and GP3 race weekend in the upcoming season finale Abu Dhabi rounds, as he will next season dedicate more time towards his work with Speed covering F1.

I’m quite sad about this. For as along as I can remember Will has been the voice of GP2/3, and it’ll be really weird without him. He’s always so enthusiastic ans excitable, and it’s definitely added to the enjoyment of the races.

I hope we get a good replacement. I’m happy to chuck my hat into the ring after my work on the Virtual Grand Prix Championship (run in this very forum), although think this is highly unlikely. Perhaps @keithcollantine?

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

For the record, Speed no longer exist and NBC Sports got the F1 rights back in 2013.

I’m very glad Will is sticking around with them – for all the undeserved flack they get for being forced to run in-race advertisements in a market where NASCAR and IndyCar can’t run without commercial interruption, or for “dumbing down” the coverage to actually try and attract new viewers, their coverage has been the best it’s ever been in the States.

I’m just wondering who will replace him in the GP2/3 booth.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@rjoconnell – Ah, my bad. Last I knew it was Speed.

andae23
    Participant

Unpopular opinion, but I’ve never been much of a fan of Buxton’s commentary. It’s great to have a commentator who knows so much about the junior categories, but the “my mate” this and “he’s such a good guy” really bothered me.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I’ll be sad to see the end of Buxton commentary for GP2/GP3. I do feel that he did his best to make the drivers and series relevant, and enthusiasm in commentary is always a good thing, alongside accuracy. He always did well too to get the ex-drivers into the booth alongside him. But our loss is the US’ gain.. same for James Allen and Australia/BBC Radio 5 live.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.