Formula Two

GP2 team radio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bpacman
    Participant

Anyone who receives the online magazine “GP2 Insider” (http://www.gp2series.com/Global/GP2_2013/13_Insider/Insider62_2013_issue4.pdf) will have seen that from the next GP2 race at Silverstone, FOM will be broadcasting team radio snippets in a similar fashion to F1 (i.e. on a slightly delayed basis).

I think this is an excellent development – I imagine with some of the driving we’ve seen this year that there’s been some very interesting/colourful broadcasts.

I’d love to have heard the two drivers’ radio communications during and after this moment:
    http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8583060/cecotto-forces-bird-off-track

It also means that we (hopefully) have to endure less of Jerome D’Ambrosio’s commentary…

andae23
    Participant

If the drivers are as honest on team radio as they are on Twitter, we’re in for a treat!

sato113
    Participant

i didnt even know gp2 had pit wall to car radio anyway! thought it was all stripped down and simple, with the pitboards were the only form of communication.

Here’s a less-than-thrilling preview from Racing Engineering:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great news! I had always wondered why they weren’t broadcasting them!

bpacman
    Participant

Anyone hear any team radio in this weekend’s races? I don’t recall any!

Nope, nothing.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

There’s a simple solution to that problem – don’t tune into anything Jolyon Palmer says.

Alex Russell
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys I’m not sure if that was intended as a joke but I’m fairly certain that most GP2 drivers swear. I don’t understand all the Palmer-hate.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Palmer is usually (one of) the first to criticise other drivers. However, he’s displayed some pretty average driving of his own in the past, and while he might be better than most at keeping it clean, he’s nowhere near as good as he seems to think he is.

Alex Russell
    Participant

I think ‘in the past’ are the operative words here. He’s matured as a driver a massive amount over the last while. Sure, he criticises drivers but why shouldn’t he speak his mind? It’s the same in F1, fans complain if you do and if you don’t.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@prisoner-monkeys I like your definiton of Palmer: “he’s nowhere near as good as he seems to think he is.”
    I also agree with you on the other point, Palmer has outspokenly criticised Cecotto at Monaco and Canamasas at Silverstone on Twitter, and was fined 12000€ for calling the Spaniard a ******* idiot (although I’m not sure when/where) and, to believe him, he was almost banned for it.
    As I wrote in my latest blog:

Palmer’s fine was probably not out of place as the rules are written, but when the stewards close both eyes in front of dishonourable driving and then penalise the understandable reaction of the victim, which also happened off track rather than on track (Cecotto’s Malaysia foolery was a reaction to Bird blocking him), something must be done to change things.

Returning to the topic, GP2 has confirmed on Facebook (that’s where I saw it) that the glitches have been fixed and they mentioned no other issue and added that we should finally hear team radios. I’m sure they could be useful or hilarious in certain situations! Imagine what the drivers were saying after Cecotto’s Monaco crash…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@kimihakkinen – When I say “past”, I mean as recently as the contact with Canamasas. Although the on-board camera makes it look like Canamasas is at fault, trackside replays show Palmer locking up under braking into Brooklands. Canamasas turns in, expecting Palmer to do the same, but Palmer has missed the apex of the corner by a country mile and clearly has a fight on his hands to make the turn. Contact is inevitable. And while Canamasas should have yielded to a driver on the lead lap, Palmer makes the kind of amateurish mistake you would expect from, well, Canamasas.

Matthijs
    Participant

To me, there is a big difference between swearing in the heat of the moment (which for me is completely understandable) or continuing swearing in (social) media after the race. For the latter, a fine is justified in my view.

Having said that, I do think that the race stewards should punish guys like Cecotto (for Malaysia and Barcelona) much harder than the guys complaining about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.