Formula Two

Where the top GP2 drivers of 2011 went in 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

With Jules Bianchi landing the third driver role at Force India I decided to have a look how the rest of the top ten GP2 drivers of 2011 are doing with their 2012 plans:

1. Romain GrosjeanF1 with Lotus
    2. Luca Filippi – TBC
    3. Jules Bianchi – F1 third driver with Force India
    4. Charles PicF1 with Marussia
    5. Giedo van der Garde – TBC
    6. Sam Bird – TBC
    7. Christian Vietoris – TBC
    8. Davide Valsecchi – GP2 with DAMS
    9. Dani Clos – TBC
    10. Marcus Ericsson – GP2 with iSport

Looks like a few of them might be holding out for that HRT seat. Dani Clos may be a nationality match but the rumours point to Giedo van der Garde at the moment.

Fer no.65
    Participant

I bet no one is very much excited about Luca Filippi: he spent quiet years in GP2 and now he finished second, he doesn’t stand much chances, does he? Similar situation to Pantano…

manatcna
    Participant

So, have the family Van der Garde got plenty of gold?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yeah, they own clothing line McGregor, who used to sponsor Williams.

As for the drivers who remain unaccounted-for, I don’t think Fillipi is going anywhere. As Fer no.65 rightly says, he’s been in the sport for years. I’m pretty sure van der Garde will get the second HRT drive, while Sam Bird could probably get away with another season in GP2 (especially if he forms a relationship with a team like Mercedes). Vietoris can definately afford to take another season in GP2, with or without support from a Formula 1 team, but because there are so many young and fast Germans in the sport, I think he’ll have a really hard time breaking into Formula 1. As for Dani Clos, he’s already done three seasons in GP2, so I think he’s missed the boat to Formula 1 – but he might get a third-driver role at HRT, and that might keep his chances alive for the foreseeable future.

Poor Filippi, I think he’s been around just a little bit too long for anyone to take him seriously for F1.

He did have a great season last year, but you have to think, he made his start in GP2 the same year Lewis Hamilton did…

TheJudge
    Participant

Van Der Garde – Like everyone is saying ,he might and will go to HRT.
    the rest of them has a chance in staying in the series,but F1 might be an option only for some,but for sure,that man won’t be Fillippi.
    I’d like to see what the future holds for Sam Bird. I’ve been folowing this driver for quite a while now and it seems like he is a Mercedes or should we say Ross Brown protege. If he’s patient and Michael quits,he might get his real chance. He is fast,I can tell you that.

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

Vietoris will probably focus on the DTM for 2012- he turned down a Renault test drive at the Yas Marina Young Driver’s Test and instead tested for Mercedes in Spain in the hopes of securing a seat with a “top” Mercedes DTM outfit.

Van der Garde is the most likely candidate for the HRT seat, as Luiz Perez-Sala has stated that he wants “a younger driver” who must reportedly carry 6 million euros of sponsorship.

Bird and Clos will probably end up doing another series of GP2, but Clos could test for HRT as well.

Italiaracing reports that Bianchi could also race in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series with a French team, naming DAMS and Tech 1 as examples.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I read an interview a month ago in which Filippi said he’d like to race in IndyCar this season.

robk23
    Participant

It seems likely that Christian Vietoris will go to the DTM as @Portugoose mentions, Mercedes have a few available seats with top teams there.

@thejudge Bird started well last year but seemed to go backwards as the year went on.

I’m afraid to say I think if Mercedes were really that interested in him he’d be doing the role Jules Bianchi has got at Force India this year.

If he ends up back in GP2 this year it’ll be a “must-win” season for him.

raymondu999
    Participant

@fer-no65 I would’ve called Hulkenberg in 2011 a lot more similar to Pantano. Dominated in every single category; then sort of flopped in F1; though Pantano had a much bigger flop. Alonso has never said he was scared of Schumacher. Pantano; however, is a different story…

Anonymous
    Inactive

5. Giedo van der Garde – F1 third driver with Caterham

Hopefully this move goes better for van der Garde than his botched Spyker/Super Aguri switch in 2006. Which kind of serves to illustrate how long he’s been hovering around the periphery of Formula 1.

Joel Holland
    Participant

So Bianchi will race in FR3.5 next year. I know I bang on about it, but the 3.5 grid is sooo much better this season: Bianchi, Magnussen, Korjus, Rossi, Frijns… an impressive list of proven winners. Meanwhile GP2’s teams’ champs will run perennial backmarker Johnny Cecotto.

We can update this a bit now:

1. Romain GrosjeanF1 with Lotus
    2. Luca Filippi – TBC
    3. Jules Bianchi – F1 third driver with Force India and Formula Renault 3.5 with Tech 1
    4. Charles PicF1 with Marussia
    5. Giedo van der Garde – Third driver at Caterham
    6. Sam Bird – TBC
    7. Christian Vietoris – TBC
    8. Davide Valsecchi – GP2 with DAMS
    9. Dani Clos – Test driver at HRT
    10. Marcus Ericsson – GP2 with iSport

Anyone know where Filippi is heading?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.