GP3

2013 GP3 series season Round Eight: Abu Dhabi

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    wsrgo
    Participant

Okay, so 24-year-old Irishman Robert Cregan replaces David Fumanelli at Trident for the final round of the season.
    In case you’re wondering, his dad Richard Cregan is the organiser of the Abu Dhabi race.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Fumanelli said he could not compete “for budget reasons” and is already looking forward to next year and future opportunities. I didn’t remember that Cregan’s dad was the race organiser… how co-incidental…

Oli Peacock
    Participant

Alice Powell has got a seat with Bamboo this weekend taking the Melville McKee seat

wsrgo
    Participant

Good news. Hope she has a good weekend…
    Lewis Williamson will not be driving in the race, no replacement is planned, so a two-car all-female team for the finale.

wsrgo
    Participant

FEATURE RACE STARTING GRID:
    1. Daniil Kvyat (Arden)
    2. Nick Yelloly (Carlin)
    3. Kevin Korjus (Koiranen)
    4. Alexander Sims (Carlin)
    5. Jack Harvey (ART)
    6. Carlos Sainz, Jr. (Arden)
    7. Conor Daly (ART)
    8. Patric Niederhauser (Jenzer)
    9. Dean Stoneman (Koiranen)
    10. Facu Regalia (ART)

Nick
    Participant

Looking good for Kvyat so far.

Nick
    Participant

Grid penalty for Alice Powell, dropping her from 24th to 27th.

http://www.gp3series.com/News/2013/11_November/Abu-Dhabi-Post-Qualifying-Penalties/

wsrgo
    Participant

FEATURE RACE RESULTS:
    1. Daniil Kvyat (Arden)
    2. Alexander Sims (Carlin)
    3. Nick Yelloly (Carlin)
    4. Conor Daly (ART)
    5. Jack Harvey (ART)
    6. Dean Stoneman (Koiranen)
    7. Tio Ellinas (Manor)
    8. Patrick Kujala (Koiranen)
    9. Carlos Sainz, Jr. (Arden)
    10. Dino Zamparelli (Manor)
    Daniil Kvyat is the 2013 GP3 series champion!!!

Nick
    Participant

Sainz has been excluded:

Following Race 1, stewards have excluded Carlos Sainz (MW Arden) from the result of Race 1 for causing a dangerous collision and forcing another driver off track.

The Spaniard was involved in an incident with Jenzer Motorsport’s Patric Niederhauser. Sainz finished Race 1 in ninth place and loses two points.

Therefore, Dino Zamparelli moves into ninth and Robert Visoiu into tenth, rounding out the points scores.

AdrianMorse
    Participant

Red Bull are suddenly looking very smart in choosing Kyvat. A good start to Daniil’s Toro Rosso career; this should reduce any speculation he was chosen for reasons other than his talents as a driver.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Yeah, but watch those cynics come out of the woodwork the first time he misses a Q2 session or spins off track.

Very happy for Dany. Nice to see Conor Daly get a 4th…I’m really hoping he can still make it into F1 somehow, but as it stands he’s being groomed for Indycars…

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Kvyat is a well deserved GP3 champion – the last 3 meetings he has really dominated. As Marko would say – he’s only getting faster, and he even looks like a spit of Vettel. Maybe he will be the Vettel replacement… he did the finger after taking the title! Kvyat-Ricciardo is a direct replacement for Vettel-Webber! Felix da Costa was just unlucky – if there was a seat for 2013 he would have had it. Now he’ll be the next Buemi – simulator/test driver.

Regalia was a bit unlucky to lose 8th and a shot at race 2 win, but maybe he was optimistic to overtake Sainz off track. He would probably have passed him anyway on track. Sainz and Niederhauser were unlucky – Sainz did move a bit, trying to do a Vettel Turkey 2010 and pressure for the racing line. But they really needed reverse grid pole to improve the end of their seasons. As did Zamparelli – 3rd 9th place Feature finish of the year, amongst 10ths as well! Instead we have Kujala on pole for tomorrow… I do hope Ellinas wins the final race or podiums. We’ll then have an interesting GP2 grid for next year with Ellinas, Vandoorne in there..

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

You definitely can’t fault Toro Rosso for taking him. The title is of course impressive, especially in his debut season, but he has rapidly and consistently gotten faster over the course of the season, and has proven that he can immediately adapt to a new car and be successful. I have a feeling that he will prove a lot of doubters wrong.

Tyler
    Participant

Ok I’m just going to come out and say it, having had my doubts about him for some time. Despite a turn of speed, Sainz Jr suffers from a fatal lack of race craft. On his results over the last couple of years , he probably deserves to be dropped from the Red Bull junior team. But I suspect his famous name and some influential backing will save him, and we’ll see him in a Red Bull backed car in WSR 3.5 next year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.