IndyCar

2014 MAVTv 500 season finale at Fontana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    SP
    Participant

http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/Tickets-Events/Events/INDYCAR-Weekend/Schedule.aspx

The Indycar title will be decided on Saturday night – it should be action-packed, judging by the previous 500-mile season-ending races at Auto Club Speedway.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

I’m looking forward to getting up at 2:30am for this! It should be excellent!

Oli Peacock
    Participant

Castroneves – Pole
    Power – 22nd (Starting between Saavedra and Huertas)

Will Power doing Indycar finale’s like only he knows

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@olliekart – Brilliant! For some reason I don’t want Power to win. I think I’ve got something against him as most times I’ve watched he’s been hitting someone…

JackySteeg
    Participant

Wow, that is huge. He was quickest in practice so Power must have made a really big error to be so far down. Looking at the times it seemed he really screwed up his first lap, well over a second off the pace. This championship is certainly a very long way from over. I just hope it goes to the end without any crashes or retirements affecting the contenders. Power will need 6th or better to cover off whatever Castroneves does. Obviously he has the speed, but I’m excited to see whether he can get through the field without any issues.

SP
    Participant

Video of Mikhail Aleshin's horrible accident #IndyCar

A video posted by Eric Sturrock (@ericsturrock) on

Mikhail Aleshin crashed heavily in second practice after getting below the white line at full speed, spinning into the path of Charlie Kimball. He’s awake and alert, currently being checked at a local hospital.

Another ugly IndyCar oval crash.

Euro Brun
    Participant

Hope Aleshin is ok after that impact. Bang goes my hope of a clean end to the season. Hope the race is clean of major incidents and that the drama is purely fron the racing.

With a bonus point for pole, Castroneves now trails Power by 50 points with 103 points still on offer.

Power will win the championship if:

He finishes sixth or better.
    He finishes seventh and earns a bonus point.

Castroneves will win the championship if:

He wins and Power is no higher than seventh (or eighth with a bonus point).
    He finishes second and Power is no higher than 16th, with no bonus points.
    Power is classified last and Castroneves is no lower than third.

(1 bonus point awarded for leading a lap, 1 for fastest lap, with 2 for Most laps led)

the_sigman
    Participant

Serious but stable condition for Aleshin, it was a big hit.

Very lucky for Kimball as well, it would be nasty if Aleshin was some inches lower…

SP
    Participant

Tony Kanaan caps off the season with a win, Scott Dixon finishes 2nd for a TCGR 1-2.

Congratulations to the 2014 champion Will Power.

Power drove an excellent, controlled race from the back and deserved to finally pick up the title. Castroneves’ penalty put the lock on it but Power had already done enough. Here’s the highlights from the race:

TheNikii
    Participant

looks that at least 2/3 of the stands are empty, weird for the final race

SP
    Participant

The track holds 90k, even Nascar races don’t sell a majority of those seats. Third date change in as many years, August in California is extremely hot (that’s why the race started at 9pm). No support series either.

SP
    Participant

For those that were curious about Aleshin’s accident, a more detailed explanation is here: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/indy-car/2014/08/30/mikhail-aleshin-indycar-ganassi-racing/14866233/

The initial impact with Kimball’s car was measured at 97G.

“I’ve been crunching numbers all night,” Dr Trammell said Saturday. “Ninety-seven lateral Gs. We’ve never seen that applied over such a small area (of the car).”

I like the anecdote about the volunteer nurse who spoke Aleshin’s Russian dialect.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

I’m so happy Will Power won the title. Been a fan since 2007. He’s earned every sliver of precious metal on that trophy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.