IndyCar

Video: Hunter-Reay passes Dixon for second win in a row

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Ryan Hunter-Reay won for the second consecutive race in Iowa.

The drama began before the race had even started as pole sitter Dario Franchitti pulled off with a blown engine.

Championship leader Will Power joined him in retirement early on after his spotter failed to warn him about EJ Viso on his inside and the pair tangled. Power initially thought he’d just control of his car until he saw the replay.

Helio Castroneves led the early stages but an early pit stop let Scott Dixon into the lead. Ryan Briscoe assumed the lead after Dixon pitted but went out shortly afterwards in a collision with Josef Newgarden.

That left Dixon in the lead for the final stint but he had the Andretti cars of Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti bearing down on him. Both got past him and Tony Kanaan also demoted the Ganassi driver for third.

The race came to an early end with four laps to go when Katherine Legge crashed out. Dixon ended up fourth ahead of Simon Pagenaud, who recovered brilliantly from starting last.

Here’s the highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XotS0hcHZSU

Championship

Hunter-Reay moves up to second, three points behind Power. Hinchcliffe missed out on a chance to take the lead when he crashed out following a late restart.

1. Will Power – 286
    2. Ryan Hunter-Reay – 283
    3. Scott Dixon – 271
    4. Helio Castroneves – 261
    5. James Hinchcliffe – 256
    6. Simon Pagenaud – 246

James_mc
    Participant

I love oval racing, I prefer it when there’s a race during the day though! I’m much less inclined to be up at 2/3 am for it!

I also wish F1 would go back to ovals. I’ll get my tin hat on….

BasCB
    Participant

Hunter Reay looks within a good shot at the title, but the best thing is it really is pretty close between the top 6!

nice race.

the_sigman
    Participant

It’s going to be a fantastic championship until the end! Will Power and Scott Dixon look like they are struggling a little bit. Ryan Hunter-Reay and Helio Castroneves are having good results in the last races as well as James Hinchcliffe except today. And almost 7 drivers have a win’s (50 points) difference!

James_mc
    Participant

I’m enjoying the way the championship is swinging as individual drivers are hitting form at different times, with Power starting strongly and now Hunter-Reay and to a lesser extend Dixon hitting form. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to Dario, now that it seems he’s got to grips a bit better with the DW-12, big blow his engine going this morning!

Power’s got to be happy with coming out of the oval portion of the season with a three-point lead.

The balance of the season is now five or six road/street courses and one oval. Given Power’s form on the twisty tracks this has surely got to be his best chance yet of clinching the crown.

Mikemat5150
    Participant

A great race. A lot of drama with some of the major points contenders running into trouble. If Power can keep up his early season form the championship is his.

Being brought up as more of a road and street course fan, I must say I’m a little disappointed there aren’t more ovals after the run of those. They were pretty incredible races and hopefully fontana will follow suit.

Mikemat5150
    Participant

mrgrieves
    Participant

I think power has now won the title to be fair. His record on road/street tracks should mean even if he was i’d say 50-70 points off the top i’d still have him as favourite for the title with the upcoming tracks.

@Mikemat5150 That video doesn’t work in the UK – what is it?

Mikemat5150
    Participant

@Keith Collantine

It was the full broadcast of the race on Indycar’s youtube channel.

@Mikemat5150 Ah I see – they won’t be able to show that here because of Sky’s deal.

James_mc
    Participant

Boo S*y!

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Not gonna lie, I was rather irritated with Katherine Legge when she ruined what was shaping up to be an intense finish. She’s really been abysmal for most of this season, truth be told.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.