Off-topic

Karting tips

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Victor.
    Participant

Right, so yesterday was the first time I ever raced in the wet and I’ve lost any hope of making it into Formula 1… There was a substantial amount of water on the track, with puddles at places. During the 45 minutes I must have spun more often than Massa at Silverstone 2008 (in my defence though, I was driving on slicks whereas he wasn’t). Never mind that though because after some time I kept the spins at a minimum (although I did spin at the last corner of the race and lost 2 places…) and my biggest problem was TERRIBLE understeer in slow corners especially.

Trying to kick the back out under braking as in the dry works through the initial phase of the corner, but once you’re in that position I either drifted round the corner by applying the throttle too early or the kart regained grip and started to understeer again at the exit.

The quicker the corner, the less of a problem this was (and I don’t necessarily mean quick corners, but say a 90-degree corner was better than a hairpin and so on). The obvious answer might be that I simply tried to tackle them too quickly, but that’s hardly an answer as some guy who’s done single seaters sailed through them with seemingly no problem at all. For some reason he had the grip to keep it smoothly on the outside whereas I either went straight on or was going sideways compromising my line.

Any help/suggestions?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.