Damon Hill’s championship-winning season was not the gritty overcoming of adversity it might have been, but there were a few exciting moments along the way which form the high points of this video.
They include the soaking wet race at Interlagos, the Monaco debacle where only three cars were running at the end and Jacques Villeneuve’s various adventures in his remarkable debut season.
The video production leaves a lot to be desired. The commentary is decidedly indifferent and the actual composition of the video towards the end is decidedly dodgy – a montage purportedly showing ‘nightmare scenario’ outcomes of Hill’s title bid includes various clips that make no sense in the context. Perhaps this was rushed out for the 1996 Christmas market?
On the whole a hit-and-miss effort, more ‘miss’ than ‘hit’.
Best bit: Driver-turned-commentator Martin Brundle’s staggering shunt at Melbourne – followed by a gutsy return for the restart in the spare Jordan.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- Official F1 Live Timing App 2014 reviewed
- Who Can Stop Him? 2013 F1 season Blu-ray reviewed
- Rush Blu-ray/DVD reviewed
- Hunt vs Lauda: The True Story DVD reviewed
- 1: Life on the Limit – the F1 Fanatic review
- “Lunches with Legends” reviewed
- Who Can Stop Him? 2013 F1 season DVD reviewed
- F1 2013 – the F1 Fanatic review
- Rush – the F1 Fanatic review
- British Motor Shows & Racing in the 1970s reviewed