Damon Hill’s championship-winning season was not the gritty overcoming of adversity it might have been, but there were a few exciting moments along the way which form the high points of this video.
They include the soaking wet race at Interlagos, the Monaco debacle where only three cars were running at the end and Jacques Villeneuve’s various adventures in his remarkable debut season.
The video production leaves a lot to be desired. The commentary is decidedly indifferent and the actual composition of the video towards the end is decidedly dodgy – a montage purportedly showing ‘nightmare scenario’ outcomes of Hill’s title bid includes various clips that make no sense in the context. Perhaps this was rushed out for the 1996 Christmas market?
On the whole a hit-and-miss effort, more ‘miss’ than ‘hit’.
Best bit: Driver-turned-commentator Martin Brundle’s staggering shunt at Melbourne – followed by a gutsy return for the restart in the spare Jordan.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- “Silverstone” by Chas Parker reviewed
- McLaren – The Drivers reviewed
- Official F1 Live Timing App 2013 reviewed
- “Motor Sport Greats in Conversation” reviewed
- “The Art of War” by Adam Parr reviewed
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- F1 Fanatic readers’ top ten most-purchased gifts 2012
- “Grand Prix Who’s Who” fourth edition reviewed
- “F1 Race Stars” by Codemasters reviewed