Damon Hill’s championship-winning season was not the gritty overcoming of adversity it might have been, but there were a few exciting moments along the way which form the high points of this video.
They include the soaking wet race at Interlagos, the Monaco debacle where only three cars were running at the end and Jacques Villeneuve’s various adventures in his remarkable debut season.
The video production leaves a lot to be desired. The commentary is decidedly indifferent and the actual composition of the video towards the end is decidedly dodgy – a montage purportedly showing ‘nightmare scenario’ outcomes of Hill’s title bid includes various clips that make no sense in the context. Perhaps this was rushed out for the 1996 Christmas market?
On the whole a hit-and-miss effort, more ‘miss’ than ‘hit’.
Best bit: Driver-turned-commentator Martin Brundle’s staggering shunt at Melbourne – followed by a gutsy return for the restart in the spare Jordan.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- 27: Patrick Tambay – The Ferrari Years review
- Formula 1 The Knowledge reviewed
- Brabham BT52 Owners’ Workshop Manual reviewed
- Formula 1 Technical Analysis 2014/5 reviewed
- Formula 1 in Camera 1960-69 volume two reviewed
- “That’s What Champions Do”: Official 2015 F1 season DVD reviewed
- “Nigel Mansell: Staying on Track” reviewed
- McLaren’s Alain Prost book reviewed
- “Aussie Grit” by Mark Webber reviewed
- First Principles: Keith Duckworth biography reviewed