There is no excuse for not having this one in your collection. A scintillating season with three drivers still in the championship hunt at the final round – and we all know what happened to Nigel Mansell at that infamous race.
The video is packed with spectacular action from classic mid-eighties turbo cars, including the Mansell/Nelson Piquet battles in the Williams FW11, Keke Rosberg’s swansong in the McLaren MP4/2C, and the last ever John Player Special-liveried Lotus.
1986 is not so well remembered for being the year in which Elio de Angelis died in a testing accident at Paul Ricard. Narrator Clive James gives suitable pause from his otherwise light-hearted commentary to pay tribute.
Otherwise this is an essential video and there’s very little to say against it – except perhaps the somewhat odd inclusion of a few semi-naked beach ‘beauties’ at the French race. That aside, this should be top of your list if you’ve not already bought a copy.
Best bit: Of course there’s the dramatic finale in Australia, but there’s also the photo-finish between Mansell and Ayrton Senna at Jerez to savour.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- Gilles Villeneuve: His Untold Life reviewed
- Jim McGee: Crew Chief of Champions reviewed
- Grand Prix: The Killer Years book review
- “It was fair”: The 2014 F1 season DVD reviewed
- Motor Racing Heroes reviewed
- McLaren’s Ayrton Senna book reviewed
- Ayrton Senna: All His Races reviewed
- 1: Life on the Limit Blu-Ray and DVD reviewed
- Official F1 Live Timing App 2014 reviewed
- Who Can Stop Him? 2013 F1 season Blu-ray reviewed