There is no excuse for not having this one in your collection. A scintillating season with three drivers still in the championship hunt at the final round – and we all know what happened to Nigel Mansell at that infamous race.
The video is packed with spectacular action from classic mid-eighties turbo cars, including the Mansell/Nelson Piquet battles in the Williams FW11, Keke Rosberg’s swansong in the McLaren MP4/2C, and the last ever John Player Special-liveried Lotus.
1986 is not so well remembered for being the year in which Elio de Angelis died in a testing accident at Paul Ricard. Narrator Clive James gives suitable pause from his otherwise light-hearted commentary to pay tribute.
Otherwise this is an essential video and there’s very little to say against it – except perhaps the somewhat odd inclusion of a few semi-naked beach ‘beauties’ at the French race. That aside, this should be top of your list if you’ve not already bought a copy.
Best bit: Of course there’s the dramatic finale in Australia, but there’s also the photo-finish between Mansell and Ayrton Senna at Jerez to savour.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- “Formula One: The Real Score?” reviewed
- “Stephen South: The Way It Was” reviewed
- Formula 1 Car By Car 1960-69 reviewed
- They Did Their Best: Official 2016 F1 season Blu-ray/DVD reviewed
- Senna vs Brundle reviewed
- Lotus 79 Haynes Workshop Manual reviewed
- Bruce McLaren: From the Cockpit reviewed
- “What Doesn’t Kill You…”: Herbert’s F1 memoir reviewed
- Motorsport Manager: The F1 Fanatic review
- “Total Competition” by Brawn and Parr reviewed