There is no excuse for not having this one in your collection. A scintillating season with three drivers still in the championship hunt at the final round – and we all know what happened to Nigel Mansell at that infamous race.
The video is packed with spectacular action from classic mid-eighties turbo cars, including the Mansell/Nelson Piquet battles in the Williams FW11, Keke Rosberg’s swansong in the McLaren MP4/2C, and the last ever John Player Special-liveried Lotus.
1986 is not so well remembered for being the year in which Elio de Angelis died in a testing accident at Paul Ricard. Narrator Clive James gives suitable pause from his otherwise light-hearted commentary to pay tribute.
Otherwise this is an essential video and there’s very little to say against it – except perhaps the somewhat odd inclusion of a few semi-naked beach ‘beauties’ at the French race. That aside, this should be top of your list if you’ve not already bought a copy.
Best bit: Of course there’s the dramatic finale in Australia, but there’s also the photo-finish between Mansell and Ayrton Senna at Jerez to savour.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- Who Can Stop Him? 2013 F1 season Blu-ray reviewed
- Rush Blu-ray/DVD reviewed
- Hunt vs Lauda: The True Story DVD reviewed
- 1: Life on the Limit – the F1 Fanatic review
- “Lunches with Legends” reviewed
- Who Can Stop Him? 2013 F1 season DVD reviewed
- F1 2013 – the F1 Fanatic review
- Rush – the F1 Fanatic review
- British Motor Shows & Racing in the 1970s reviewed
- The Playboy and The Rat reviewed