Now this is an unusual one. The concept is fabulous – rather than having an F1 pundit commentate on each race, get one of the drivers to do it.
And so a host of mid-eighties major names including Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet talk alternatively through each of the races.
Fine in principle, yes, but in reality the drivers vary wildly in their suitability as commentators. Senna mumbles a lot, Piquet is generally uninteresting, and Mansell does a passable impersonation of Murray Walker.
1985 was a hard-fought season in that the race wins went to a variety of different drivers, but the racing was seldom that close.
We do, however, see the final races of some memorable venues – Zandvoort in the Netherlands, and the old-style Kyalami in South Africa.
Another fault of the commentary though is that too little of the off-camera action gets reported. The sacking of Rene Arnoux from Ferrari, for example, or the huge furore over the last F1 race in apartheid South Africa (note the absence of the French Ligiers and Renaults from that race, and various sponsors too.)
Nor do the lesser drivers get much exposure.
Sadly then, despite the good material here and the imaginative concept, this doesn’t really stand up to repeat watching.
Best bit: Keke Rosberg and Ayrton Senna lock horns furiously at Brands Hatch and, later, Adelaide.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- Riverside International Raceway book review
- Gilles Villeneuve: His Untold Life reviewed
- Jim McGee: Crew Chief of Champions reviewed
- Grand Prix: The Killer Years book review
- “It was fair”: The 2014 F1 season DVD reviewed
- Motor Racing Heroes reviewed
- McLaren’s Ayrton Senna book reviewed
- Ayrton Senna: All His Races reviewed
- 1: Life on the Limit Blu-Ray and DVD reviewed
- Official F1 Live Timing App 2014 reviewed
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others