The 2001 season review DVD, again produced by Sony, is something of an oddity. It is not available as a commercial retail DVD, but was given away with early copies of the Formula One 2001 Playstation 2 game.
And it’s definitely worth hunting down because, although still blighted by the same clunky interface as the 2000 DVD, the footage quality is better and the manner in which it is assembled is vastly superior to the dire 2001 video. The races get proper reviews and there’s the usual plethora of video angles to choose from.
As with the 2000 video there’s no ‘play all’ option, nor is there much by way of introduction to the season or the individual races. The commentary is more functional than entertaining, but not as informed as it might be, and there’s rather too much footage of pit stops. But then, 2001 was hardly a gem of a season.
All in all a decent package that was inexplicably not given a full release, and there is no official DVD at all for the 2002 season, which is ridiculous. As you can pick this up for a small price online it’s definitely worth hunting down.
Best bit: Juan Pablo Montoya’s move on Michael Schumacher at Interlagos – a star is born.
- Stirling Moss: The Definitive Biography volume one reviewed
- Watching the Wheels by Damon Hill reviewed
- F1 2016: The F1 Fanatic review
- Ferrari 312T Haynes Manual review
- Williams FW14B and Lotus 98T Haynes manuals reviewed
- 27: Patrick Tambay – The Ferrari Years review
- Formula 1 The Knowledge reviewed
- Brabham BT52 Owners’ Workshop Manual reviewed
- Formula 1 Technical Analysis 2014/5 reviewed
- Formula 1 in Camera 1960-69 volume two reviewed