The 2001 season review DVD, again produced by Sony, is something of an oddity. It is not available as a commercial retail DVD, but was given away with early copies of the Formula One 2001 Playstation 2 game.
And it’s definitely worth hunting down because, although still blighted by the same clunky interface as the 2000 DVD, the footage quality is better and the manner in which it is assembled is vastly superior to the dire 2001 video. The races get proper reviews and there’s the usual plethora of video angles to choose from.
As with the 2000 video there’s no ‘play all’ option, nor is there much by way of introduction to the season or the individual races. The commentary is more functional than entertaining, but not as informed as it might be, and there’s rather too much footage of pit stops. But then, 2001 was hardly a gem of a season.
All in all a decent package that was inexplicably not given a full release, and there is no official DVD at all for the 2002 season, which is ridiculous. As you can pick this up for a small price online it’s definitely worth hunting down.
Best bit: Juan Pablo Montoya’s move on Michael Schumacher at Interlagos – a star is born.
- F1 Fanatic reviews over 100 Formula One books
- McLaren M23 F1 car Haynes manual reviewed
- “Silverstone” by Chas Parker reviewed
- McLaren – The Drivers reviewed
- Official F1 Live Timing App 2013 reviewed
- “Motor Sport Greats in Conversation” reviewed
- “The Art of War” by Adam Parr reviewed
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- F1 Fanatic readers’ top ten most-purchased gifts 2012