The first two official season review DVDs were produced by Sony, and hence come labelled “compatible with Playstation 2″.
Unfortunately, they are also produced using an odd menu system which makes navigating them unnecessarily difficult.
The footage is superb, though, and there’s plenty of it. 4hrs 15m on this discs, though that does include quite a bit of footage of the statistics screens!
All the races are covered and there’s often a plethora of angles for major events.
As a result the coverage of the entire field is somewhat better than on the review video. However, the production is emphatically not. There’s no introduction to the season, no post-race analysis or supplementary information.
It’s not even glossed over – it’s just not there. And there’s no facility for viewing all the races one after the other – you have to manually select each one.
Aside from the technical problems, and the terribly dull commentary, this isn’t a bad disc and is definitely a step up from the video. There’s still a lot of unexploited potential from the DVD format though.
Best bit: The multi-camera footage of Mika Hakkinen and Michael Schumacher’s duel at Spa-Francorchamps.
F1 Fanatic verdict
F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.
- Gilles Villeneuve: His Untold Life reviewed
- Jim McGee: Crew Chief of Champions reviewed
- Grand Prix: The Killer Years book review
- “It was fair”: The 2014 F1 season DVD reviewed
- Motor Racing Heroes reviewed
- McLaren’s Ayrton Senna book reviewed
- Ayrton Senna: All His Races reviewed
- 1: Life on the Limit Blu-Ray and DVD reviewed
- Official F1 Live Timing App 2014 reviewed
- Who Can Stop Him? 2013 F1 season Blu-ray reviewed