This week his Toro Rosso team are testing three times Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais for the second time. Rumours link BMW protege Sebastian Vettel with Speed’s seat – and suggest he could take it before the year is out.
Speed is conspicuously high profile as F1′s first American driver since Michael Andretti in 1993. But while Liuzzi has been linked with a move up to the lead Red Bull squad, Speed universally gets a bad press.
Liuzzi has beaten him 3-1 in qualifying so far. Their respective race performances are hard to compare given the car’s poor reliability to date.
Will Speed make it to the end of the year as a Toro Rosso driver? Does he deserve to? Should he keep his seat simply on the grounds that the team haven’t given him a reliable enough car to judge him with yet?
- Debate: Schumacher vs Montoya vs Villeneuve
- Debate: Should Ecclestone buy SIlverstone?
- Debate: Are F1 races too long?
- Debate: Is Fernando Alonso a good world champion?
- Debate: Can Lewis Hamilton be world champion?
- Debate: Friday Man
- Debate: When did you start watching F1?
- Debate: Traction control’s gone: What’s next?