Mosley reiterates Spanish GP threat ahead of test

Max Mosley, Lewis Hamilton, FIA Gala, 2007 | FIAMax Mosley has re-affirmed his threat to cancel this year’s two Grands Prix in Spain if there is any repeat of the racist abuse aimed at Lewis Hamilton at the Circuit de Catalunya last week.

He has also revealed Hamilton was racially abused by Spanish spectators at the Chinese Grand Prix:

Anthony Hamilton told me that there were some people in China who were also appallingly abusive; not Chinese fans, but people who had travelled from Spain.

If Mosley had first heard of the problem back in October then one assumes the Spanish motor racing authority were warned about it. However he also pointed out only a small number of people have been involved so far:

If, as appears to be the case, a very small number of people are involved, it ought to be possible to stop it immediately. If it isn’t, then we have sanctions and we could pull the Grand Prix.

Although it does seem that the racist abuse was coming from a small section of the crowd, the FIA must show they are aware that tolerating it for any length of time will only encourage it to grow.

Furthermore if the FIA were to ignore it, Mosley could end up facing damaging questions relating to his father, who was the leader of the British Union of Fascists in the 1930s.

Judging by Max Mosley’s reaction so far I don’t think he has done anything to deserve it. Last week some members of the British press were calling for harsher penalties and suggesting the races were in no danger of being cancelled, but there seems to be a greater sense of perspective in recent reports.

McLaren and several other teams are testing at the Circuito do Jerez from Tuesday to Thursday this week (12-14th), and returning to the Circuit de Catalunya on the Tuesday to Thursday after (19-21st). (For more test dates see the F1Fanatic Google Calendar).

But it’s not just the organisers of the Spanish racers who need to be careful – racism is not only a problem Spain.

Photo copyright: FIA

More on racism in F1

23 comments on Mosley reiterates Spanish GP threat ahead of test

1. Steven Roy said on 11th February 2008, 14:06

Architrion said
    “I liked this guy, but after this issue and how he has managed it in comparison with what the “Nazi” Schu did when it was under pressure I feel the guy has stepped down the whole stair.”

How has Lewis managed it?

He has answered a few questions and said only good things about Spain and Barcelona.

I am fed up with people having a go at him as if he has done something criminal in the last twelve months. We have potentially on of the most exiciting drivers in the history of the sport and already we have people who will never do anything other than hate him. And hate him for no quantifiable reason.

There is a huge difference with Hamilton and Schumacher. Schumacher behaved like a thug on the track ramming drivers off the road right, left and centre and broke every rule he could get away with. He also refused any chance of having a competitive team mate. Lewis put himself up against Alonso who if you read all the pre-2007 season press was the best driver around and likely to take over from Schumacher as the long term number one.

I cannot see one thing Lewis has done that should generate a shred of animosity. He has done nothing that a competitive racing driver should not do.

2. Number 38 said on 11th February 2008, 16:57

For Steven Roy……….you’ll have to search back several days to a posting I made about the Hamilton involvement. He was welcomed at Valencia but the following week made at least three swipes at Alonso which I clipped and dated. I seems the animosity started AFTER his remarks. His remarks were not “racist” but rather anti-Alonso. Now dear old Dad had a complaint at China…….handled it quietly, probably the better tact but isn’t it odd with all the media around Hammy no one else picked up on that? Me-thinks Dad is just piling on. And MadMax threatening to cancel races, oh sure with “restraint and discression”, can you see him cancelling the gem stone events , no chance; European races, he’d cancel them all but not where Bernie makes PROFIT !
    The season starts this weekend, Daytona 500 !

3. Steven Roy said on 11th February 2008, 18:29

Drivers have always criticised other drivers. It is allowed and is perfectly acceptable behaviour. Despite all the accusations as far as I can see he has done nothing to justify people hating him. And as implied in my previous post I am stunned to find some of the people who claim to hate him were Schumacher fans.

As I have said elsewhere the Hamilton/Alonso spat pales into insignificance compared to Prost/Senna, Mansell/Piquet and Villeneuve/Pironi.

4. Arturo said on 11th February 2008, 19:55

Come on, this is too much!! Hamilton must stop calling his daddys each time he is in troubles. Like a spanish, I am ashemed of the racists insults, but this story again and again has no sense!

5. Hi, Steven …

I think “hate” is too strong a term. I disrespect Hamilton to a fair-the-well for the way that he behaves, and for the choices he’s made. For example — moving to Switzerland to escape “fans”, then at first denying that was a tax dodge — meanwhile, he’s also pulling in quite a bit of money from English fan-sales of his premature glory story … etc. I simply think that he’s a twit, grin … but that has nothing whatsoever to do with what “color” he is.

For the record, I could never stand Schumacher, either, lol … but, what can I say — hubris sorta’ turns me off.

6. Powerline 2008 said on 12th February 2008, 2:37

Give Max a break guys. He’s trying his best not to create another scandal for F1 this year. You’ve to appreciate his family background to understand this. His parents were heading the BUF movement before WWII & went to prison for it. They counted Hitler as a personal friend. I guess Max is determine to break with his pass. So give him a break.

7. Chris Johnson said on 12th February 2008, 21:23

What kind of a dumbass fan would travel all of the way from Spain to China, just to be an idiot and hurl insults at another driver? If Hamilton only wins two races this year, I hope it’s in Barcelona and Valencia. That would almost too good to hope for.

8. Guys,
    I’m catalan and I’ve seen all footage available and there is no racial abuse at all, at least that has been caught by the cameras.
    I first condemned the attacks and would do it again but that’s not the case: THERE WAS NO RACIST ABUSE!!! If Lewis had not been black the insults would have been the same, honestly. It looks like british media was just trying to sell more papers and probably it worked out.