ITV to broadcast all F1 sessions live online this year

ITV will show free practice, qualifying and races live on the internet this year.

I have criticised ITV for various shortcomings in their production in the past but this is definitely a step forward and I applaud them for it.

It’s not clear whether it will be available to those outside of Britain but I don’t think it’s very likely. They also haven’t said whether the coverage will be interrupted by adverts. But simply getting to see practice live when it was never broadcast before in Britain is a step forwards.

However ITV’s video player is not Apple Macintosh compatible, which will prevent a minority of viewers from being able to watch.

Fans will also be able to re-watch races up to 30 days after they have aired. A spokesperson for Formula One Management said:

With UK Formula 1 audiences reaching their highest levels in many years, it gives us great pleasure to fuel this resurgence further with the introduction of online rights to complement ITV’s broadcast coverage.

ITV’s F1 audience grew by 40% in Britain last year as Lewis Hamilton led the championships standings for much of the year.

To find out what times all the sessions are happening in Britain, see the list of races at the bottom of this page. Here are the times for the Australian Grand Prix.

More about ITV-F1

48 comments on ITV to broadcast all F1 sessions live online this year

1. Three comments in a row.. I’ll stop now, honest!

I mean to say my picture was being squashed into 4:3.

2. Fred B said on 13th March 2008, 23:08

Yes Scott, it is a bit jerky and the sound is stuttering.

3. Scott Joslin said on 13th March 2008, 23:09

Phew, I thought it was a problem my end. I suppose we should be patient with it!

4. Simon: Same here for me. Which is odd, as the video streams are all off the ITV site.

This stream is great without people talking over it.  Hearing banter in the garages etc.  I’m sure I heard the F word about two minutes after it came online at 10:55! :)

5. Fred B said on 13th March 2008, 23:15

Christopher I agree the lack of commentary is great.  We’re hearing them talk candidly in the pitlane.

6. Simon D said on 13th March 2008, 23:16

…after repeated tapping of the F5 key, still nothing.

Unfortunately I haven’t got speakers so i missed all that banter!

7. Brett from Oz said on 14th March 2008, 1:56

No luck getting this where i am…..
    Can any one help????

We here in Aust would have the worst F1 coverage – the only live races are the Aust GP and maybe the Malay, China and Jap

Others are delayed so we can all watch some crap episope of Big Brother or like

8. Journeyer said on 14th March 2008, 6:17

Watch it on Wheels, available on TVU.  (http://www.tvunetworks.com)

You can watch that from anywhere in the world. :)

9. F1Fan said on 24th March 2008, 23:03

Journeyer,
    Is Wheels on TVU a channel or a show on a particular channel. It works great if I can find where the F1 broadcasts are. Thanks

10. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 24th March 2008, 23:10

It’s a channel on TVU which shows the American TV channel Speed which carries some F1 sessions live along with other motor sport. See http://www.speedtv.com

11. Madwing said on 22nd April 2008, 11:33

I see ITV just won Bafta for its F1 coverage

12. mail123456 said on 25th June 2008, 14:24

I’m not sure but I think ITV use something called simulcastPlayer which is flash itself … I played with it and found this inside:
    var serverName = ‘itvbrdbnd.fc.llnwd.net';
    var appName = ‘itvbrdbnd/_definst_';
    var streamName = ‘livestream';
    var conn_Str = ‘rtmp://’ + serverName + ‘/’ + appName;
    var source_Str = conn_Str + ‘/’ + streamName;
    if you have simulcastPlayer_02.swf there is no problem to wach ITV stream (FP1, FP2, Qualify, Race… sorry no FP3) outside UK … proof of concept: http://tv.f1.f-e-n.net/ :)
    be gentle … this pc have only 192MB RAM and 650MHz CPU :)

another way is to use tv ants or somethin’ … they have a nice app for linux called sp-sc-auth …
    ./sp-sc-auth sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/44000 3908 8908 > /dev/null &
    then just open
    http://tv.f1.f-e-n.net:8908/tv.asf in you media player …
    this will work during all sessions and race but channel is always diferent and language sounds like some scandinavian language :)

13. AustraliaF1 said on 29th September 2008, 4:35

In Australia Channel 10 does a crap job of airing an edited and voiced over broadcast. Here we want the knowledgeable ITV broadcast. We cant access any UK based internet audio based on our ISP being Australian based

14. For that past nine days we are already snowed in. This has not been incredibly a lot fun as all seven kids have been trapped inside house with me for any excellent deal from the time. It has been too cold for them to stay out for any length of time. To add to that, our electric keeps heading in and out. Whenever we do have electricity we charge the laptop battery. When the electricity goes out, we either play games, read or Watch FlashForward Online. thanks to our generator. I’m glad we discovered the website where we can do this as it keeps every person occupied and quiet. I believe I miss the quiet most of all.