David Coulthard: the driver debates

David Coulthard, Magny-Cours, 2008, 470150
Red Bull?s David Coulthard is the second most experienced driver on the grid ?ǣ and is famously defiant when asked if he might retire soon.

But after four seasons at Red Bull his place in the team looks under threat from the promising Sebastian Vettel.

Should Coulthard keep his place in the team?

Coulthard seems to belong in that group of drivers ?ǣ including Jean Alesi, Gerhard Berger and Rubens Barrichello ?ǣ who might have achieved more at the peak of their careers had Michael Schumacher not been winning everything in sight.

You can?t blame Schumacher for that of course and in the case of Coulthard he spent nine years at McLaren during some of their most competitive seasons without winning a title.

His team mate Mika Hakkinen did. Coulthard?s staunchest supporters may suggest that McLaren only had eyes for one driver and it was not Coulthard (something Fernando Alonso?s fans may sympathise with). In his autobiography last year Coulthard insisted that while McLaren?s distribution of equipment between the two drivers was scrupulously fair, Ron Dennis?s preference was towards Hakkinen.

If that?s true then it makes what Coulthard did achieve at McLaren more remarkable including some excellent victories at Magny-Cours in 2000 and Interlagos in 2001. He was one of only two drivers to stop the Ferrari steamroller in 2002, winning at Monte-Carlo ?ǣ adding to his 2000 victory at one of F1?s toughest tracks.

Hakkinen often got the rub of the green as far as reliability went as well. But Coulthard was usually out-gunned on pace and made more mistakes than he should have done too ?ǣ at Austria in 1999 he first took his team mate out of the race and then contrived to lose the lead to Eddie Irvine?s Ferrari. And he had plenty of controversial run-ins with Schumacher.

Many expected his F1 career to be over after being dropped by McLaren in 2004 but he bounced back with Red Bull. The team struggled with unreliability in their first few seasons but Coulthard took them to their first podium at Monaco in 2006. This year, however, Mark Webber seems to have the measure of him.

Will Coulthard still be in F1 next year?

Read more about David Coulthard: David Coulthard biography

David Coulthard, Red Bull-Renault, Istanbul, qualifying, 2008, 470313

Join in the discussion about the best drivers in F1 so far this year on the F1 Fanatic Forum.

36 comments on David Coulthard: the driver debates

1 2 3
  1. Cooperman said on 23rd June 2008, 15:42

As good as I think Vettel is, he’s very inexperienced and Mark Webber’s yet to prove himself as a team leader.

I reckon DC has plenty left in him for F1. It would be a real shame if he were forced out because of the current trend for younger drivers.

2. Daniel said on 23rd June 2008, 15:49

Neither Red Bull driver impresses me anyway but, even thought he’s clearly superior this season, I would still drop Webber, rather than Coulthard, don’t ask me why, but, analyzing rationaly his chances, I think Coulthard won’t have a seat in 2009.

3. I would still drop Webber, rather than Coulthard, don’t ask me why

This is something I’ve been feeling as well, but like Daniel, I can’t put my finger on it either. So far this year Webber has got the legs on Coulthard, and Webber is a little younger and can offer more in terms of longevity. But for some strange reason, if I was in the position of having to choose (and nationality and other such things are irrelevant to me), I would keep Coulthard. Just don’t ask me why…!

4. francois said on 23rd June 2008, 16:48

“And let’s not forget that Coulthard debuted in Williams, in 1994, with a real race-winning car, and did little to help Damon Hill in that and the subsequent year…”

I think by the end of his spell at Williams he’d upstaged Damon Hill in terms of raw pace.If he hadn’t moved to McLaren Damon would have had a much bigger fight on his hands to win the title in 1996.

Back to present day F1 , and I really can’t see David staying around in F1 for much longer (another 1 or 2 years) despite his statements to the contrary.Having said that I thought he’d have been finished much sooner than this when he signed for Red Bull in 2005 – I think they would have had have a lot of problems without the benefit of Coulthard’s inputs and experience.

5. Steven Roy said on 23rd June 2008, 17:39

I have been reading stories of DC’s imminent departure from F1 as long as I have been hearing the Siverstone is going to lose the GP.

Hakkinen got the better of DC but only after DC gifted Mika his first two GP wins. The first was Jerez 97 where after Schumacher rammed Jacques Villeneuve there was a meeting in the pits between senior McLaren and Williams personnel. The outcome seemed to be that McLaren would play tail gunner for Villeneuve. When it became clear that Villeneuve was going to score enough points to win the championship the McLaren drivers were let loose. DC was told to let Mika take his first win which he did.

The next race was in Australia at the start of the next season and again DC waved Mika through after some kind of agreement between the drivers and Mika being called to pit by someone other than his own team.

DC was the Williams test driver but most of his time was not spent on the current race cars but on an older model fitted with CVT transmission which Williams invested vast amounts of time and money in only for the FIA to ban it because Ferrari hadn’t thought of it.

DC was dropped in the deep end in F1 to such an extent that it is a miracle he lasted the season. He was not in any way prepared for F1 so it is a bit unfair to compare his performance to Damon’s in his first season.

We have new regulations for next season and Adrian Newey needs good feedback while the new stuff is developed this season and when the new car is run next season and DC is the man to do that. Also if Newey pulls a rabbit out of the hat and produces a car capable of winning races DC is going to bring the car home in good positions regularly. Why would you drop a proven front runnig driver for an unproven kid and a guy who has the worst luck since Chris Amon? If Vettel is as good as some people believe then it makes sense to put him in with DC and let him learn. Webber may be a faster benchmark but speed can’t be taught. All the other stuff can.

6. Sush said on 23rd June 2008, 18:27

DC is good behind the scenes

all the rumours of him making way for Vettel next season would be rather brash of Mr Red Bull (Ostrich Makeshift), as Steven Roy pointed out, Adrian Newey and the new regs next year…. gives Red Bull a huge upper hand, they worked together on those specs before…. and the newey Coulthard combination is already a proven winner from the 90′s

its a working relationship no other team have.

7. sceneitall said on 23rd June 2008, 18:54

DC’s vast experience showed to the fore at Magny Cour! Need one say more? He’s had real DOGS to drive in recent years,and at last it appears that the combined input and experience of DC and Adrian Newey is beginning to pay dividends.I for one feel that these combined talents will give F1 a real boost in most departments this season and beyond.

8. Robert McKay said on 23rd June 2008, 22:02

“DC’s vast experience showed to the fore at Magny Cour”

No idea where that statement comes from: he started 7th and finished 9th. Webber started 6th and finished 6th. It was not a great race for DC, for reasons I don’t entirely understand. A poor start is possibly to blame, but Webber’s wasn’t great and he had some sort of incident too (ITV never showed exactly what).

I’m a big DC fan. I’ve supported him since I started watching in 1998. What a frustrating career to watch over! Some individual, brilliant, standalone races. Let’s not forget that at the half way stage in both 2000 and 2001 he was Schumachers main challenger, but in both those seasons he had too many mediocre races in the second half of the year. A lot of unfortunate reliability problems, too, to be fair, but a lot of hamfisted qualifying attempts as well.

I think this should be his last year. Not because he’s embarrassing himself like Hill did in his last year, but because as a driver he’s beginning to get to the point of diminishing returns. I can overlook Webbers consistently superior qualifying pace when DC outraces him, but that is beginning to happen ever more rarely this year. Canada was just luck in how the SC fell and the fuel loads came out.

I think DC has offered a lot to the sport, but unless there is serious upturn over the next 4 or 5 races, I’d definitely say time to call it a day as a driver. There is still a decent career waiting for him either in some extended RBR management role or in some capacity with the BBC.

9. The comments have been a real surprise – I thought everyone would be banking on DC hanging up his helmet after this season!

I agree with the sentiments that if someone is to leave Red Bull then it will be Webber – and again, I’m not too sure why! Perhaps he will take Flavio’s advice and head to Renault to replace Piquet?

DC’s future was announced at Silverstone last year, so hopefully the same will happen this year to put us out of our misery.

There’s no doubting there will be a sense of disappointment when he does finally retire given that he didn’t achieve his goal of becoming World Champion. This will be balanced out somewhat by the knowledge that he did “the right thing” when presented with choices in his career – moving from Williams to McLaren when he had previously agreed to do so (take note Jenson), allowing Mika to win when it must have been so tempting to just carry on regardless, etc.

As far as he is concerned, this is more important to him – and is quite a refreshing outlook for someone in F1. There are other drivers I can think of who would adopt a more “win at all costs” attitude instead.

Will he retire this year? Hopefully not – for his sake, the fans’ sake and also Red Bull’s sake.

10. Number 38 said on 24th June 2008, 0:25

Vettel should return to karts.
    Button should replace Webber.
    Coulthard gets one more year.

11. For the first few races of the season I thought we were watching DC’s death throes.

But now it seems like he has turned the corner, and I am not sure that we have seen the end of DC just yet.

I think that he will be at Red Bull for 2009. After that though, is anyones guess. I’d be sorry to see him go though, he is *mostly* a gentleman, and in addition to being a great racer on his day, is highly intelligent and articulate. I thought his post race conference in Montreal was the most refreshing and pleasant I have ever seen from a driver.

12. Toby said on 24th June 2008, 0:53

I find it amazing that so many people think Webber should leave Red Bull before DC – and they won’t back up these statements with any reasoning. Fair enough, if that’s your opinion. Personally, I’ve always suspected that Webber drops off the pace mid-race (ala Trulli-of-old, Ralf etc.), but since moving from Williams to Red Bull I begin to doubt this theory more each race. My opinion now though is that DC is being quite royally pasted this season by a driver that alot of people apparently don’t rate. Doesn’t that make any decision for Red Bull quite an easy one from a cold and rational business/racing perspective? The only reason I can see that DC will be racing next year is because of the new rules. Maybe experience and team stability might just save his career, because I don’t see Webber going anywhere.

13. the limit said on 24th June 2008, 1:34

I always felt that David Coulthard and Rubens Barrichello were very much alike concerning their careers.
    They both drove for the top two teams, against two formidably fast team mates, and both helped them to win championships. Coulthard’s actions back in 1997 are now well known, but there were other instances.
    Coulthard is the perfect foil in a team, and lets face it, the Hakkinen/Coulthard years were probably the most stable in McLaren’s recent past. Compare them to other pairings, and they stand out a mile.
    Add into the equation that Coulthard always felt second best at McLaren in the eyes of Ron Dennis, yet DC always handled himself the right way, the professional way.
    Much in the same way as Rubens did at Ferrari alongside the Red Baron.
    Despite this, I have always felt that Coulthard was missing that something extra, and would never win the
    championship.
    As for his future, I am not certain. I would love for him to stay on a Red Bull, but my heart says that this year will be DC’S last. I hope not, but I think so!

14. teamorders said on 24th June 2008, 1:49

DC makes no sense in the Red Bull line up for 2009. Webber fills the role as the experienced driver, providing development feedback, and stability. Red Bull needs a young gun in the line up and Webber will provide the yardstick on how fast the young gun is.

DC has had a good career, shown pace at times, but ultimately not quite fast or consistant enough to be a WDC. I can’t think of any team on the grid that needs a DC in their line up for 09.

15. Rowan said on 24th June 2008, 5:43

I’m with Toby on this one, I don’t see why so many people favour DC over Webbsy. While I understand DC is probably the more Charismatic of the two and holds a place in alot of racing fans hearts, from an objective perspective you have to say Mark is performing consistently better than DC. – Comments from a subjective Australian.

1 2 3