Rate the race: Singapore Grand Prix

What did you think of the Singapore Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and discuss it below.

[poll id="22"]

34 comments on Rate the race: Singapore Grand Prix

1 2 3
  1. beneboy said on 28th September 2008, 15:24

7-8 Good to Great.

We got loads of action but not much overtaking.

This could turn into a classic track in a few years due to the night time aspect and the amazing scenery of Singapore. It could be a classic due to the incidents that occur rather than out and out racing though.

If the new regulations next year allow the cars to run closer to each other then I think we could have more overtaking in future races as there a few good places to make a move, the bumps help this too, but as ever, it’ll depend what effect the new reg’s make.

Overall I really enjoyed the race and the unusual result was good to see, I’m not Alonso’s biggest fan but I was happy to see him win again after driving well & getting some luck.

2. Mr Soap said on 28th September 2008, 15:30

Pleased that Alonso won, and he did no end of favours to my view of him in the post race press conference too.

And while I can’t help but feel sorry for Massa, I also can’t help but feel it’s natural justice for the points gained at Spa.

3. verasaki said on 28th September 2008, 15:31

PERFECT-based on the results only. big snooze really but the last 20 laps or so had me wide eyed and bleeding from the palms (must remember to trim these fingernails).

hats off to speed for sticking with it even through the post race…they even cut into a nascar program to do it! all in all this is one for the history books!

WAHOO ALONSO!

and hats off to ferrari. if max was trying to hand the championship to him they’ve certainly handed it right back.

4. The more they showed Sutil’s crash, the more obvious it is to me that Massa caused it.

Sutil coming round the corner, on the racing line, only to find Massa in the middle of extricating himself; the barrier being the only other option.

This has to be a 10-place grid penalty? Causing an avoidable accident.

5. 6-7 – eventful, and certainly much better than Valencia. The safety car saved it from boredom, even though there were a few passes made. I just don’t see much opportunity to pass other than between turns 6 & 7, regardless of the rules.

I do love the look of cars under the lights though, but I think they have to address the pit entry and I don’t think marshalls should have to be in such direct firing line of the car (re: guy with broom/mop just at the grandstand entry where Sutil went off!).

Overall, it wasn’t bad, good to see Alonso and Rosberg on the podium again, on merit and a bit of luck. Disaster result for Ferrari, both championships are slipping away now.

6. david-br said on 28th September 2008, 15:46

4 – Often tedious.

One of those dull, annoying but incident-filled races. The only bit I really enjoyed was seeing Alonso’s emotion on the podium and, admittedly, Ferrari getting a big zero. But it’s a terrible circuit. Virtually nowhere to overtake. Is it really impossible to design new circuits to favour overtaking?? OK, the circuit encourages incidents, but the SC lottery is only mildly diverting and not really what it’s about.

7. William Wilgus said on 28th September 2008, 16:50

Why did I rate it terrible? Because once again the Safety Car heavily influenced the outcome of the race.

8. First of all, we have been asked to rate the race not the circuit.

So, for me, the race was fantastic (9) despite it was so great because unexpected issues (safety car) as in the most of this year’s GP that can be highly rated.

Glad to see Fernando winning a race in the miserable season he’s having. He was so lucky with the first safety car, but he has shown us a very good performance in a car below the best ones of the grid. And is a good compensation for his bad luck in Q2, btw.

If I would have to rate the circuit, I will rate it with just a 5 or 6.

UP:

Night race. Colorfull views of the cars and very exciting to watch.

DOWN:

Street circuit very similar to monaco: High downforces and mainly imposible to overtake as the drivers were comenting. Hope next year changes, will allow F1 for seeing more action on the track during the race.

9. Not so much the events on the track, but the atmosphere.
    We have to continue with the safety car rules as they are till the end of the season But its just madness.

10. That was a good race, i gave it 7. It had a bit of everything, coupled with the whole night-time element and the fact that it was a street track. A stark contrast to the godawful European GP.

I think the track needs to be changed for next year though, I can’t help but think that the first corner complex needs to contain fewer corners, maybe a longer sweeper or a kink and a tight hairpin, rather than the ‘fast-chicane followed by a corner’ thing it’s got going on. Turn 10a/b/c needs to just be one corner though, theres room there to make it a mid-speed sweep, or a slower, tighter corner, but they don’t need that chicane there.

Loved the bumps though, its good to see sparks again.

11. Why does turn 10 need changing? Even without the crazy curbs it seems like a bit of a challenge, much more of a challenge than yet another 90 degree turn.
    And don’t forget, the reason it’s there is to slow people down and stop them running 2 wide over the bridge, so they wouldn’t make it a mid-speed sweep.

12. Just seems so opposite to what Formula One is supposed to be. I bet Senna would hate all these chicanes.

13. If they could replace it with an over-taking opportunity then I’d be all for it but I don’t think they could/would so keep it as it is.

14. Robert McKay said on 28th September 2008, 21:07

Seems to me that if you don’t want cars to run side by side on a piece of racetrack, you don’t use that piece of track!

God knows it’s difficult enough to pass in F1 without deliberately engineering sections of track to filter cars into single file.

But of course this is F1 – they built the track first to create maximum spectacle for TV, and then worried about how it will affect racing…

15. Sooooperpigdog said on 29th September 2008, 0:06