Red Bull RB5 officially revealed

F1 pictures

Red Bull RB5 - 2009 F1 car

Red Bull RB5 - 2009 F1 car

The Red Bull RB5 broke cover today – it’s the seventh 2009 F1 car to be revealed.

See below for more pictures of the Adrian Newey-designed RB5.

We got a sneak peek of the RB5 last week when Red Bull issued a promotional video which also explains the key technical changes for 2009.

2009 Formula 1 cars

Images (C) Red Bull / Getty

72 comments on Red Bull RB5 officially revealed

1. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th February 2009, 14:19

New pictures of the car on-track added above.

2. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th February 2009, 14:22

Horner says: “With such a big regulation change, it is quite interesting the different approaches that the teams have taken,” Horner told reporters at Jerez. “Strategically, we decided to take a little bit more time in the tunnel and always focused on launching today.”

With most of the teams that launched in January getting comperatively little running done, particularly those that went to Portimao, have Red Bull done the right thing here by delaying their launch to spend more time on the concept of the car rather than running it?

3. It looks sleek slim and fast with a long thin javelin like nose…

4. Looks nice.

5. David said on 9th February 2009, 16:03

Work on the track lets you have more details on setup, understand immediatelly mistakes in designing, discover first develop areas and comprare with other teams.
    Work at home lets you refine design choices, rely on optimized gallery and experimental data, copy the others while not being copied and having more space to develop the car towards the end of the season.

My decision would be case by case. If my team had a promising breakthrough idea I’d accept to manifacture the car later…

6. StrFerrari4Ever said on 9th February 2009, 16:07

Wow i have to say Red Bull have done an amazing job its so beautiful and from reading the aerodynamic points made on f1 websites Newey has done it again very innovative i hope the other teams dont take advantage of it and benefit more then RBR and interesting point that they can cool their engine better cause of those 2 opening flaps im just waiting now for the STR4 hopefully Red Bull can do the same thing with the cooling for STR since the Ferrari engine will need a lot of cooling i cant wait this season is shaping up to be one for the history books wait till you see the STR4 you will all be amazed mark my words

7. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th February 2009, 16:37

Gearbox problems hit the RB5’s first test: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73200

8. Eddie Irvine said on 9th February 2009, 16:39

Does anyone know any site with today’s testing photoes and times in jerez??

9. Captain Caveman said on 9th February 2009, 16:49

After looking at the car, I would have to say that it is very attractive and the most pleasing on the eye so far.

One thing that comes to mind is that of what seems to be a very very high nose… it would appear that the drivers feet will be above their hips so I can see this being a very tiring car to drive.

In fact I seem to recall that Brundell referenced many years ago driving a Adrian Newey car and having to stop because of exhaustion due to lack of circulation to his feet.

Anyone else recall this?

10. i like this one.. !! dont so keen on any of the others but we will see what happens :)

11. For me in the looks department it is probably mid table of the ones launched so far. It has those side pod deflectors which I have never liked the look of, and while they don’t use them to mount the mirrors like Ferrari and Toyota have, I prefer the mirrors in a more traditional position. Also the nose seems a bit too high and narrow for my liking.

I don’t know if it is just the paint job, but although the side pods do curve in at the rear (the coke bottle I believe some call it), the side pods don’t seem to curve in vertically going downwards like some others cars, (if that makes sense), Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me or have others noticed this.

If the RB5 is reliable I wouldn’t be surprised if they managed to get some good results this year, as Adrian Newey has a history of taking advantage of rule changes the best, but often of being close to the margins in terms of reliability.

12. Reminds me of the mid-90’s Williams’s that Newey designed, well, the slim-ish nose cone does anyway. This car certainly looks fast, unlike the BMW, the Toyota and the Renault.

13. Damon said on 9th February 2009, 17:45

Lee:
    “This car certainly looks fast, unlike the BMW, the Toyota and the Renault.”

It’s funny you say this, as the Red Bull car looks almost the same as Toyota – only uglier… in every detail.

14. Mandev theorum said on 9th February 2009, 18:28

Vettel’s helmet looks slightly different..

15. NickO said on 9th February 2009, 22:34

Y’know, I don’t care who drives it, I want this car to win.

It reminds me that a vital part of the interest in F1 is tied up in the design, inovation, and the uniqueness of each car. The idea that “the fans don’t care” is bollocks.

I dread the day when we have common engines, and common chassis- All we’ll be left with is pretty boys in glossy F1 coffee table magazines spouting banal PR-speak.