Which new rules will improve F1? (Poll)

A host of new F1 rules have been announced today. They include having the championship being decided by wins, changes to F1 publicity (including revealing qualifying fuel strategies) and a budget-capping provision.

Which of these new rules do you think will improve F1? You can vote for more than one in this poll:

[poll id="49"]

Championship decided by wins ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ the driver with the most race wins will become champion, and points will be used to decide other positions. See here for more: F1 to use ?σΤιΌ?£medals?σΤιΌΤδσ system in 2009

Changes to F1 publicity ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ qualifying fuel weights will be made public, and drivers and team members will have to be available for more interviews and autograph sessions. See here for more: F1 publicity gets much-needed boost

Budget capping ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ teams will have the opportunity to run to less restrictive technical regulations if they agree to limit their budgets. See here for more: Budget caps for F1 in 2009

38 comments on Which new rules will improve F1? (Poll)

1 2 3
  1. Loki said on 17th March 2009, 19:40

Well, I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who voted ‘none of them’.

Championship wins I already made myself clear in the post, alongside hundreds of other people.

Changes to F1 publicity – to be perfectly honest, none of this gets me anymore excited, but it’s nice for people that think otherwise. Not sure how it’ll actually improve F1 though.

Budget capping – I’m still livid from the championship wins ordeal to really care, or make an informed decision on this, but from the outset it just looks unnecessarily complicated and unfair-only-to-be-exploited-in-some-fashion-that-will-make-it-a-moot-point. Improve F1?…I have reservations. Maybe I’ll change my mind later.

2. Striay said on 17th March 2009, 19:57

I voted none of them, how does anything they’ve done help F1 i mean its absolutely ridiculous!
    Keith can you make a poll of how many people think the medals system is a good idea(or not)for F1.
    i will bet 98% will say its not a good idea.

3. Scott Joslin said on 17th March 2009, 20:01

The interesting question will be how do we actually measure the improvement of these rules. So many rules have been made over the last 6 months that pin pointing what has actively improved racing. Is it the Slick Tyres, is it the Front Wings, is it the rear defusers, is it the drivers, is it the new points system, is it that we have 3 or 4 teams posible to win races now or is it KERS??

All way to much in one go in my opinion.

Bernie’s got to have his fingers crossed that it’s an exciting year otherwise he will need to call upon his friends the Stewards office to help influence races to create an exciting climate to the season ;)

4. Scott Joslin said on 17th March 2009, 20:04

I am with Loki on the F1 Publicity – It just means that those priveledged to have the right passes can get an autograph or a photo with the drivers.

Ok perhaps TV will have the odd interviews with a driver who has just dumped it in the barrier, in stead of having him legged it out of the circuit – but that does not dramatially improve the spectical.

5. Spencer said on 17th March 2009, 20:08

I’m another for β€œnone of them”!!

Revealing fuel strategy really disappoints me. I used to love the bar room talk on a Saturday afternoon after qualifying as to who we thought was running light. This continued until the first round of pit stops on a Sunday afternoon.

This decision not only takes away some of the mystery that is F1, it will reduce many fans enjoyment, not increase it!!

6. i voted for f1 publicity because it would be interesting to know the feul strategies

7. i hate the “championship decided by wins” rule. what if your favourite driver came 2nd all the time!

8. Spencer said on 17th March 2009, 20:20

I agree with you Dan on that one…..

I priciple the WDC season could be wrapped up by Silverstone how pants would that be?

9. Jason said on 17th March 2009, 20:49

Just as I was starting to get excited about the 2009 season… 11th hour right royal C’ up from Max and the boys..

I have no chance of a win today, I’ll go save my engine for the next race / lets bang on that new aero package and do some testing.

Must Win at all costs – time for a Schumi Punt

funny how this was decided AFTER Big Mac is looking pants for a win – hey, started a conspiracy :D

10. Mr Soap said on 17th March 2009, 21:29

Most wins: No, no and no again. Will likely have a completely different effect to the one desired.

Publicity: No.

Budget caps: I like the freedom aspect, but the capping aspect just won’t work. Within too long, there’d be a scandal, and you’d either have a case like 1994, where many people still doubt the legality of Schumachers car, or 2007, and the McLaren affair. Either way would be disastrous, and naturally exceeding the caps will be fairly easy to do privately. (And you can’t help but get the feeling some teams might be more closely monitored than others)

11. Dane said on 18th March 2009, 0:39

I voted for Championship points system. Racing is all about winning, not to come second all the time.

12. sayonaraman said on 18th March 2009, 1:49

What would really improve F1 is an almost total ban on the rules. Let them race whatever they want to put on the track which is less than let’s say 5 meters long, 1 meter high and 2 meters wide and has no more than naturally aspirated 12 cylinders of no more than 3 litres total capacity. Well maybe not even improve but change. Do you imagine the amount of ideas from different teams? I mean this sounds crazy but in fact it would boost innovation far more than the KERS and everything else put together. Total is a key word for F1. Some kind of a Wipeout on tarmac. Yeah, I might have gone too far with this one, but the restrictions these days are just crazy. I’d like to see F1 as a playground for inventors from all sides of motorsport world not as a strictly guidelined circus… Max and Bernie would have to die first along with the “economical downturn” but there’s a hope for that to happen someday.

13. Oliver said on 18th March 2009, 6:46

Seems Scot misunderstood the publicity that Keith was referring to, which is making public the qualifying configurations of the cars, such as fuel weight. Signing autographs doesn’t improve the racing.

14. IDR said on 18th March 2009, 6:53

You forgot to put as an option the best rule that will improve F1:

Shut down FIA and FOM. (in any particular order)

15. Martin Bell said on 18th March 2009, 7:15

I am no fan of Mosley’s (who is?) but the budget cap idea is genius. Having got a commitment (?) from the manufacturers to stay until 2012, he is trying ensure that there will be enough private teams for us to watch after that. Perhaps we should accept that we are witnessing the end of the manufacturer era, maybe even celebrate that, and look forward to a return to proper racing teams? Maybe with a budget of “only” Β£30 million to find, teams could be run purely from the rights revenue, without sponsorship? Would we then see an end to the paddock club elite hospitality for half interested sponsors employees/hangers on? This is happening already. Does it mean there will be more Williams type teams on the grid? Lets hope so. I think that we should be cautiously pleased that Mosley is trying to stop the manufacturers from wielding too much control, from running F1 purely for marketing reasons. It hasn’t worked, let’s re-invent it.

• DGR-F1 said on 18th March 2009, 8:19

Although the budget cap is not really going to ‘improve’ the racing, I do agree that it ought to (in theory) allow the sport to survive for longer and possibly bring in new teams and suppliers.
      However, if Max plays this game too much, no new teams will be interested because the rules keep changing each year…..

1 2 3