The diffuser controversy explained (Video)

Here’s an excellent video from Speed TV’s Steve Matchett explaining the diffuser controversy in detail, with some fascinating close-ups of the three controversial cars:

This video was published before today’s appeal court ruling which decided that the diffusers used by Brawn GP, Williams and Toyota are legal.

17 comments on The diffuser controversy explained (Video)

1. Daniel said on 15th April 2009, 22:32

Good video, wish he explained the rules though. ie, what makes Brawn, Williams and Toyota “illegal”. From what I understand they took advantage of the rule for the light at the rear and put a few little wings on it?

2. Serbian Kimi Raikkonen said on 15th April 2009, 23:06

This is a fantastic elaboration on one of the trickiest bits of F1 aerodynamics!

I wish I could download it…..

Thank you Keith!
    Matchett is excellent!

3. Phil said on 15th April 2009, 23:24

Very nice video from Speed TV

4. SoLiD said on 15th April 2009, 23:25

gre

5. What a fantastic video, great find, thanks for sharing.

6. Spiffy said on 15th April 2009, 23:55

Nicely done, good breakdown. Well done SpeedTV.

(I admit I was paying rapt attention to what Steve was saying up until the rear shot of the BrawnGP car, because I suddenly saw a face in it – the curvy, central part of their diffuser is the mouth, the exhausts are eyes. It’s as if it’s laughing at all the cars behind it… *sinister music*)

7. Steve_P said on 16th April 2009, 1:56

It’s interesting that we have this nice video from SPEED posted and an article about SPEED’s coverage both on the same day. SPEED does a good job and they do little videos like this with Steve Matchett pretty often. That was a very informative and enjoyable video.

8. sajonaraman said on 16th April 2009, 6:44

THE VIDEO YOU ARE TRYING TO WATCH IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE. PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON.

Bad luck I guess…

9. The_Pope said on 16th April 2009, 9:10

FINALLY! This drama has been dragging on for weeks and only NOW do we get a decent, detailed, technical explanation. (I don’t think I missed one elsewhere, did I?).

So mad props to SpeedTV (shame the video is in Mono) but unless there’s similar coverage from this weekend’s Chinese GP, I have to say I’m embarrassed that nobody else has done this before. The BBC coverage has been so good this season, so where is the Brundle Explains-type segment explaining in detail? Where are the interviews with the aero geeks?

Having watched this video, I think the Toyota diffuser looks “least illegal” since it seems obvious they’ve just built a little extension down from their rear crash structure.

The Williams and Brawn look more “creative” but since they’re all legal now, good luck to the other 7 teams, who have a lot of work ahead of them.

(though the theory is that since Brawn is faster than even Williams and Toyota, it ain’t just their DDD that gives them speed. AND they don’t even have KERS ahahahaha)

10. GQsm said on 16th April 2009, 11:12

Excellent video. Wish there were more videos done like this.

Only thing lacking was they didn’t really explain the floor hole part of the controversy.

11. Mahir C said on 16th April 2009, 15:17

Does Red Bull diffuser comply with the so called “spirit” of the rule?It seems from the video is that they too are exploiting a loophole with their extended wing end plates, complies with the wording of the rule but not with the “spirit”. It is cynical of complaining about 3 teams’ diffuser.

12. Babur said on 16th April 2009, 16:32

Mahir, my thoughts exactly re Red Bull. To me those seemed the most “creative” in their design.

Steve Matchett is one of the best TV commentators right now. He really brings his experience from his Benetton days to light with such technical explanations. Good Job!

13. Patrickl said on 16th April 2009, 16:37

The video shows some pictures of the back end of some diffusers, but does it really explain anything?

The problem is more in the floor (and where the diffuser starts) than in the end of the diffuser isn’t it?

14. Chaz said on 28th May 2009, 9:58