Vote Todt, get Mosley?

Would Max Mosley be Jean Todt's choice for F1 Commissioner?

Would Max Mosley be Jean Todt's choice for F1 Commissioner?

Reading Jean Todt’s FIA election manifesto, one line jumped out at me:

For each FIA World Championship we propose appointing a Commissioner responsible for the Federation?s day to day management and governance of the championship.

Now, who do you think Todt might have in mind for the job of F1 Commissioner?

One name springs to mind given what Todt has already told us his plans are for the FIA:

It is my intention to continue and expand the outstanding work of President Mosley, who for 16 years has worked tirelessly to strengthen the FIA??s major motor sport championships and to position the FIA as the voice of the motoring public, actively promoting safe, clean and affordable mobility for all.

Mosley used the letter to the FIA confirming he would not stand for president again to endorse Todt as his preferred choice of successor – a move that angered Todt’s election rival Ari Vatanen.

In addition to the promise to set up commissioners for the different FIA world championships there is a proposal to set up a Stewards Review Group to look into the many examples of inconsistent, unjust and arbitrary justice (my language, not theirs) meted out in F1 and other championships.

Both these ideas may be fine in principle, but what matters is the people in charge. FOTA stuck to their guns to get rid of Mosley, and they (and most of the fans) will not be impressed to see him return by the back door.

61 comments on Vote Todt, get Mosley?

1. Brian said on 5th August 2009, 21:16

I was right and my Psychotherapist was wrong! There really are evil emperors!!!
    lol

2. Tengil said on 5th August 2009, 21:27

That sounds like the job Alain Prost is angling for:

hxxp://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77394

3. Leaf said on 5th August 2009, 22:15

I saw this post elsewhere & Mosley was the first person I thought of. You know it would be him. My God I hope Todt doesn’t win that election. If that comes to pass how long do you think it is before FOTA pulls up stakes and goes independent like we all wish they had?

• Maksutov said on 6th August 2009, 16:39

My God I hope Todt doesn’t win that election.

haha im afraid its too late for that. you can consider him already a president, unless some miracle occurs.

Unfortunately Ari doesnt have a chance because of the corrupt system.

4. manatcna said on 5th August 2009, 22:49

OK, I know I’ve said it before, but

F1 is corrupt

5. Bartholomew said on 5th August 2009, 23:02

So we might end up with Todt “Newman” as president,his girlfriend Miss Mieuw as chief of Image,Race Movie Production and PR, and for F1 Commissioner Lou himself.
    All in the family !

I hope this not happen and that Ari Vatanen gets elected.

6. Brian said on 5th August 2009, 23:18

The FIA feel that Mosely has done a good job so yes, I think that Todt will win and Mosely will be commish. The FIA tricked FOTA into thinking they won by getting rid of Mosely, but FIA basically said, “Screw with one of us and we screw you.”
    FOTA and the fans lost big time on this, and I really hope everyone pulls out for “advertising and money issues”, then start over somewhere else.

7. Austin said on 5th August 2009, 23:22

From what i’ve read of Todt’s plans, he plans to do bugger all. He plans to be a lame duck president. Let everybody else do the work while he and his fiancee live it up. Joking aside, there’s one thing in his manifesto that will be good to see, a stewards review group, also a disciplinary panel to take charge of all investigations and hearings. This should be totally transparant and show how they came to make the decision on penalties. If he does win and its looking likely after Ari’s outburst, then I will be keen to see if this happens. The cynical will say he’s helping Ferrari covertly or that he’s delegating to not court controversy, maybe thats his style.

• Maksutov said on 6th August 2009, 16:42

He plans to be a lame duck president.

lol

a lame duck, better yet a frog

Let everybody else do the work while he and his fiancee live it up.

very true

8. sprint_9 said on 5th August 2009, 23:29

Todt and Mosely need to be out, both of them suck. Throw crazy Bernie out too.

9. Martin said on 6th August 2009, 0:59

Well if he wins, (and I think he already has) then F1 is dead as far as I am concerned and now BMW looks like the prophetic group of wisemen.
    I guess I will have to be satisfied with ALMS and WSC championships as well as DTM, nothing else will really matter after that group of fascists get in power.
    I am witnessing the death of open wheel racing.

• Maksutov said on 6th August 2009, 16:48

Well if he wins, (and I think he already has)

dead right! the election is going to be nothing but a joke to mask up what really too place behind closed doors.

As I mentioned in another post, Vatenen should simply pull out of the presidential bid.

10. vet4snak said on 6th August 2009, 1:01

do. not. want. mosley.

11. vet4snak said on 6th August 2009, 1:02

(i dont like mosley except when he push forward safety improvements to F1, other than that. sorry max)

12. Freeman said on 6th August 2009, 2:32

Of course it’d be catastrophic if Mosley becomes involved in F1 in whatever way shape or form. But I don’t think Bernie and CVC will let it happen.

Even if Mosley is not commissioner, but if his men who share his same reckless views get the job, it’s not doing F1 any good anyway. Hopefully Mosley can sober up and see that retirement is not half as bad for him. He should just walk away and enjoy his fortunes. What has he got to gain by clinging on in the background?

Sad thing is, F1 is held to ransom by a bunch of automobile clubs in god-knows-where, who have a vote for president. Most sensible thing is for them not to vote Todt and embrace change. Easier said than done…

One thing I’ve always wanted to ask is: Why does F1 need the FIA as regulatory body? You don’t see NASCAR, IRL, NBA, NFL, FA have such a thing. They do just fine governing themselves.

• Brian said on 6th August 2009, 2:52

That is a good question.

• Martin said on 6th August 2009, 4:55

I thought that was the whole reason behind FOTA.
      But alas, the team owners are either stupid or just as money hungry as Bernie and Max.
      It doesnt matter. In a few years the world will grow tired of the charade being playd out in front of them and the real drivers will find another type of racing. (Keiths article about F1 guys in rallye).
      I regret seeing this but it is the demise of the sport.

13. Arun Srinivasan said on 6th August 2009, 6:29

I think this ‘could happen’ prediction column is not required in the politically heated times like these. I guess Keith, you could stop at predicting races.
    Todt, as you know him, stops at nothing to get his agenda, which is awesome as a manager, and also has worked in a team, so he knows what the sport needs and more about the millions of fans he amassed during his tenure. Lets give the guy a shot(only if parties concerned elect him) then talk about his shortcomings, if any!! This is too much useless debate, which has been fuelled by anti-ferrari sentiments and the poor guy getting Max’s support.
    Compare him to a driver who won under him and who has some speech abilities, I’ll vote Todt anyday to Ari.

14. Ronman said on 6th August 2009, 7:41

I don’t think Mosley would be F1 Commissioner if there will ever be one. (executioner more like it :P)

anyway, there are lots of highly qualified people that could serve as Commissioner to their respective championships, for F1 i can think of Berger, Prost or someone that has been both a successful driver and relatively successful team owner. In rallying, I’m not sure who that might be, but I’m sure if you dig enough you could find someone that has been in the sport and has a good idea of what’s what.

Mosley is out I presume, i know he has a knack to turn about on his own words, i have a feeling this time he’s bidding goodbye.

15. DGR-F1 said on 6th August 2009, 8:18

This is a clever move by Todt to keep his backers (mainly Max) happy. They get to do what they want to do, and by appointing ‘Commisioners’ in charge of each branch of the FIA, Todt as President won’t get blamed when the various teams and organisers disagree with the FIA rules, he can point to the guy in charge and say ‘nothing to do with me, its his fault’.
    As for a Stewards Review Group, if the same people who allow the incompetance and mismanagement by the Stewards now are put in charge of a review, what is going to change? If this goes through, there had better be input from drivers and team principles, or the whole thing is meaningless.

• Iceman cometh said on 6th August 2009, 9:30

Believe me, only one with such stupidity would appoint Max to that role, and even if he does, would the teams be very happy???
      Just useless discussion. Todt knows better than doing this.