Did Piquet crash on purpose? (Poll)

Nelson Piquet Jnr's crash helped Fernando Alonso win in Singapore

Nelson Piquet Jnr's crash helped Fernando Alonso win in Singapore

After the Singapore Grand Prix last year there were some people who asked if Nelson Piquet Jnr crashed deliberately but many others – myself included – who rubbished the idea.

But the FIA believes it is worth investigating and has launched a World Motor Sports Council hearing into the affair. So how many people believe Renault are guilty?

Do you believe Nelson Piquet Jnr was told to crash by Renault?

• No (40%)
  • Don't know (21%)

Total Voters: 3,343

Loading ... Loading ...

I didn’t believe the claims about Piquet straight after the race because they just seemed too incredible. But it’s hard to imagine a WMSC hearing being called without some evidence being presented.

I would be very surprised if this evidence hasn’t come from the Piquet camp. As F1 Fanatic reader Paolo Verri pointed out to me in an email recently, Piquet hinted at strange goings-on when he blasted Briatore after being dorpped by Renault:

The conditions I have had to deal with during the last two years have been very strange to say the least ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ there are incidents that I can hardly believe occurred myself.

Renault has said it will not comment on the matter before the hearing on September 21st. It wouldn’t be a surprise if bits of information started to appear in the Brazilian press between now and then.

Until we see some evidence it’s still too much for me to believe (a) that Renault would do something like this, (b) they left some kind of incriminating evidence and (c) Piquet was able to crash an F1 car on purpose more convincingly than Michael Schumacher did at Monte-Carlo in 2006.

That’s my take. What’s yours?

Who was involved? Did Fernando Alonso know? And what do we make of Piquet spinning on the warm-up lap before the race?

The Renault Singapore controversy

208 comments on Did Piquet crash on purpose? (Poll)

1 3 4 5
  1. Until I see some the evidence the FIA has I will believe that Piquet did not crash on purpose. But if the FIA do decide he was ordered to crash at Singapore are they going to investigate all Piquet’s other crashes in F1, as that is hardly is only one.

2. antonyob said on 7th September 2009, 10:33

err respectfully, the comment was slightly tongue in cheek…but perhaps you dont remember the anti- hamilton hysteria of less than 12 months ago. Especially the Spa farce… or Sparce!

• Maksutov said on 7th September 2009, 17:48

are you talking about the lie saga?

Especially the Spa farce… or Sparce!

Well the Spa thing doesn’t really compare to Piquet. and there is nothing hidden behind the scenes. Whether Lewis deserved that penalty or not based on the public opinion is another matter that can probably be disputed indefinitely. However a decisions was made on that based on visual evidence. Again totally different situation to Piquet. Personally i don’t think the punishment anything do with the fact that this was Hamilton.

3. Keke 4ever said on 7th September 2009, 11:35

Hard to believe, which does not mean impossible.
    If we have a look of what this funny and fat version of “Don Juan” has done in the past and how his spanish colleague has behaved, your get a sensation of “I prefer not to believe it but….”

I really hope that if this is proved, the fat funny man get his rear kicked as hard as Piquet followed his instructions. And, of course if this was true I don’t think Trickonso didn’t know about it.

4. Maclarista said on 7th September 2009, 16:35

The brazilian chanel Globo has a video comparison of the spin Piquet had at the formation lap and the crash at the race itself. It’s at least interesting. Watch the video link below and pay atention at 1:40m mark of the video.

5. hollus said on 7th September 2009, 19:29

I just watched that video, and if Nelsinho managed to do that on purpose, he should have been using his skills to win races instead.
    In the main crash, he actually missed the outer wall by very little, how dumb would it have looked to just break a suspension arm and stay in track with a hanging wheel… and no safety car.
    Now look again at his “practice” spin. Look at the mark his rear wheel leaves. He missed that wall there by what, 1 inch? Think that the rear wing hang well behind the wheel. And only because he went past the gap in the wall that makes the track wider.
    I say he just crashed.
    Alonso is well known to push the limit, to play hard, to be the worse looser in the world… but in the track, he normally makes space for other people and wins or loses in the legal side. He wouldn’t enjoy winning like that.

• I agree – he would only want to win on merit. Although I must say that at the time, I did think that Alonso didn’t look very happy after he had won.

Still don’t beleive the conspiracy though. I guess we can debate it ad nauseum, the FIA have prolly made up their minds already before the hearing has even started (a la Spa 2008), and all we’ll ever know about what went on is some pat press release afterward. *sigh*

• Agree about Alonso’s appearance intitially after the race, he didn’t seem too happy. But at the time i put it down to him being tired, and considering he produced one of his trademark celebrations in prac ferme and looked much happier in later photos i dont think anything can be made of it.

As for the Spa decision, i guess you mean the rejection of the appeal as inadmissable. Well that was quite an obvious decision because it was a stupid appeal. It’s clearly stated in the rules that a 25 second penalty given post race in place of a drive through penalty cannot be appealed. Regardless of the merits of the penalty the appeal was inadmissable.

6. I don’t think that was on puspose, because Massa make a big mistake on pit and it wasn’t Alonso falut, beside, on Japan Alonso won again and he doesn’t had tha fault on Hamilton and Massa’s error

7. antonyob said on 8th September 2009, 9:16

I would say and only from my own culture’s perspective but anyone who is prepared to “whistle blow” their employer if they dont do what they want would be prepared to do anything including this. Make no bones about it, Alonso attempted to blackmail Mclaren so if you ask COULD Alonso be party to what happened in Singapore then id say 100% yes. If you ask did it ACTUALLY happen then id only be 70% sure. If you ask will they be found guilty then id say im only 10% sure.

Does it further erode the integrity of F1? well it depends on your perspective but F1 (or top line racing) ceased being a sport in 1902 and became a business and integrity in business is rarer than hens teeth.

8. Ididnt said on 9th September 2009, 11:57

I don’t think they’re implicated.

9. I haven’t read all comments, but I’m wondering are we thinking about Flavio enough ? Maybe he had reasons to get at least one victory at season. Maybe he had promised something to Renault and he saw that Singapore was their last chance. Fernando or Nelson did not had any reason to take this kind of risk, maybe Flavio had ? I don’t think he is very honest guy..

10. Clearly Piquet junior is a pretty poor driver who failed to make any progress whilst at Renault. If he was an honourable person then he would have raised this issue when he was first approached to crash to order. I don’t recall anyone voicing that the crash seemed odd at the time. It is not surprising that when people are told an accident is suspect that they start to see a situation that isn’t there – similar to conspiracy theories that people love. It would be tragic if the employees at Renault lose their jobs just so the Moseley can get his own back on Flavio. Get rid of Moseley and I suspect the the news from F1 would be less tacky.

11. Absolutely brilliant post guys, been following your blog for 3 days now and i should say i am starting to like your post. and now how do i subscribe to your blog?

1 3 4 5