Luca di Montezemolo expects Michael Schumacher to join Mercedes

Luca di Montezemolo reckons Schumacher is heading for Mercedes

Luca di Montezemolo reckons Schumacher is heading for Mercedes

Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo has given the strongest indication yet that Michael Schumacher may make a return to F1 with Mercedes next year. He said:

It seems he has a twin brother, identical in every way, who seems to have it in his head to go and race in Formula 1 with Mercedes. I don?t know him personally, but it seems we have nothing to offer him.
Luca di Montezemolo

Schumacher was on the verge of signing a contract extension with Ferrari which would have made a return for Mercedes impossible. With Montezemolo content for him to leave them the largest stumbling block to his return in 2010 is potentially removed.

Here’s more of what Montezemolo said:

He real Schumacher, the one I know, will remain forever part of the Ferrari family. I said it in Monza and I repeated it in Abu Dhabi.

But, it seems he has a twin brother, identical in every way, who seems to have it in his head to go and race in Formula 1 with Mercedes. I don?t know him personally, but it seems we have nothing to offer him: we have two young drivers in Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso, on whom we are counting to deliver a lot next year.

Joking apart, Michael?s current role revolves around the development of our road cars, including the important phase which saw us launch the 458 Italia, which is the essence of technology and owes a lot to research carried out on track with the Formula 1 car. I think that, this summer, when I asked him to stand in for Felipe, after the terrible accident in Budapest, he suddenly rediscovered the desire to race and the fact he was unable to follow through with that, left him a void that we are unable to fill.

I remember how despondent he sounded on the evening of 9 August, when he called me to say that the problem with his neck meant he could not race in Valencia. It?s lucky that, despite the unsporting stance of some, we were able to run him in the 2007 car at Mugello, otherwise Michael would not have been fully aware of his situation. We have tried to move forward with the idea of running a third car, but for the moment, that is not possible.

I don?t know what he will decide for the future, but I extend to him and indeed his twin brother, my very best wishes.
Luca di Montezemolo

Is Schumacher really about to make a shock return after three years out of the cockpit?

Read more: Michael Schumacher: the Mercedes years

Image (C) Ferrari spa

81 comments on Luca di Montezemolo expects Michael Schumacher to join Mercedes

1 2 3
  1. Rob Wilson said on 18th December 2009, 19:17

Looks like the return of Schumacher is upon us :)

• Matthew H said on 18th December 2009, 20:18

Do you think he’s told the Ferrari fans, that Santa doesn’t exist?

They do have a passionate fan base, I hope some don’t vilify him. I can’t wait to see the Brits vs Ze Germans again on track. It’s gonna be great! :)

2. Last time was very rushed so if he is going to make a comeback it will be now. First he needs to actually put things in motion as soon as that happens I feel that is it he will sign and race.
    I still don’t expect him to do it. Maybe I’m sceptical but it seems more and more likely.
    Personally if it happens I’m gutted for Nick Heidfeld missing out on the Merc drive.

3. mp4-19b said on 18th December 2009, 19:27

It’s lucky that, despite the unsporting stance of some

Since when has Luca displayed sporting behavior?

4. It seems he has a twin brother

Ralf?

5. @KlBD, of course not! he’s talking about the two personalities os schumacher, the consolting agent of ferrari and de race driver.

It’s seems we will have one of the best seasons in f1 since 92′.

6. José Baudaier said on 18th December 2009, 20:11

I guess that Montezemolo must be a little disappointed with himself. He could have signed Schumi and Massa for 2010 if he had notice this “twin brother” inside Schumacher. Not that Alonso isn’t a great driver, but he’s not Schumi.

• Praveen Titus said on 19th December 2009, 15:58

Alonso will prove the kind of driver he is in 2010. I’ve got a feeling Montezemolo would have absolutely no regrets next year this time.

7. three4three said on 18th December 2009, 20:17

Similar stance as Steph for me regarding this, it will deffo be exciting but I’m still a little sceptical. For the sport and to see him race against the best of 2010 yes please, but for Heidfeld and his potential Merc drive no thank you.

8. Matthew H said on 18th December 2009, 20:20

Damn, if he had a twin brother. I’d sign both of them, and forget Alonso and Massa. :D

9. Maciek said on 18th December 2009, 20:23

Love him or hate him, I don’t see how anyone interested in F1 isn’t getting just a tad giddy by this point.

10. Todfod said on 18th December 2009, 20:37

I really hope schumi’s twin races next year, and gets beaten by alonso just like his brother did. If Alonso doesnt get the job done, im sure hamilton and vettel will make schumi’s brother cry and leave formula1 mid season.

11. Bigbadderboom said on 18th December 2009, 20:48

The point Montezemolo makes is that whatever happens in the future can not detract from Schumachers achievemants at Ferrari in the past, and that the record books will always show a union of success. I think he doubts Schumachers ability to make anything like the same impression on the track with Mercedes, hense the references that differentiate between two entities.
    Although I do feel excited about his return, I would be suprised if Michael can find the pace to live with Rosberg let alone Hammilton, Button, Alonso Massa and Vettel. I think the twin brother Montezemolo refers to may be an also ran!!!

12. sumedh said on 18th December 2009, 21:35

I read the autosport article regarding Luca’s comments.

In that it is stated that Schumacher’s return is not being stopped by Ferrari. Mercedez and Schumi are both willing for the contract. The only road-block is Michael’s neck. If that is OK, then we DO have Schumi next year.

13. Kanyima said on 18th December 2009, 22:08

I’ve read in between all the lines possible and I can unequivocally tell you Schumi is coming back!
    Normally one would assume Merc, being a new sort of team are trying to piggy back on Schumi publicity to help them keep the buzz until they announce their line up, but with McLaren staging a coup by snatching the reigning chap, Merc knows their job is cut out for them and the only way they can respond is by staging an even bigger coup. And which better coup would beat the Merc one than a Schumi comeback!!

The great one is upon us!! 83Days, 8Hours 51Minutes remaining to the first F1 action. I cannot wait!!!!

14. S Hughes said on 18th December 2009, 22:18

Haven’t we heard all this rubbish before?

The bit about the interview I thought was the most revealing was when he told Alonso there would be none of his usual unsporting shenanigans allowed at Ferrari:

“I spoke about these elements with Domenicali maybe 1,000 times, not 100 times, 1,000 times,” he said.

In the end Di Montezemolo sat down with Alonso and spelt out the situation. “I spoke with him and I told him that if you come to drive for us, it’s because we want you, you drive for a team, you drive for a group, you don’t drive for yourself,” he said. “In Ferrari we want to put you in the best condition to win. If not, we will never hire you. We know that you can win the championship — we will do our best — but you are part of it.”

15. He smelled an easy way to clinch another title, just like Prost in 1993. I wonder how big is his ego that seven titles and 90+ victories is not enough?!

• If Schumacher thinks Mercedes will have an advantage the size of Williams in ’93 he’s likely to be mistaken. For most of the 1993 season, Prost qualified 1-2 seconds faster than the nearest non-Williams driver. That sort of time difference is likely to cover most of the grid in 2010.

1 2 3