Name that race: 2009 edition

The drivers line up for the last race of 2009

The drivers line up for the last race of 2009

The fiendishly tough F1 season quiz is back.

Can you name that race? Tackle the test below…

Those of you who tried this game last year will remember the formula. Below are lap charts for all 17 of last year’s race – but with no lap numbers and with each driver’s line the same colour.

All you have to do is name which race matches up with which chart. Post your guesses in the comments. Good luck!

To pick up a few useful tips on how best to guess the races have a look at last year’s: Quiz: Can you name that race?

33 comments on Name that race: 2009 edition

12 SPAIN
    13 GERMANY
    14 ITALY
    15 ABU DHABI
    16 MALAYSIA
    17 HUNGARY

2. Hehe I found this really fun trying to work out the races, but with my awful memory it was hard to remember what happened in certain races!! But I think I got a couple, like I guessed Monza based on Lewis crashing from 3rd right near the end, and memorable things like that.

It’s a proper challenge though!

3. Zahir said on 2nd January 2010, 16:29

Ok here are my guesses (Great challenge by the way Keith):

1)Turkey

13. Germany
    14. Italy
    15. Abu Dhabi
    16. Malaysia
    17. Hungary

5. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd January 2010, 22:26

Ah quite a few people have got them all right, well done! First to post a complete set of full answers was AndrewT. IDR, Xanathos and Pedro Andrade were next to nail it.

• Well, now I see I’ve done all right, I must confess that was not because I have an extraordinary memory having all races in mind.

What I have done (in more less 20 minutes) is to find for the 1st, 2nd, and 3dr positions, the position they started, looking at your charts, and then, compare those positions with the stats one can find in F1 (The official one).

There have been only 2 races with the same starting grid positions for the podium, Spain and China. (1,3,5: The first started in P1, the second in P3 and the third in P5), so for those races I counted the number of laps looking at the points you show in your charts). As Spain has 66 laps and China 56, was easy to find the correct one.

The only one I guessed directly was Malaysia just because if you look directly to your charts, Nr 16 has more less half points than the rest.

So, at the end, as I said previously, I’m not “a man with F1 season in his head” I’ve just establish some methodology that works!!

it would be great for the rest who have found the correct answers, to know how they did it, just to find the “truly” champion. Not my case!!!!

6. lukeaa said on 2nd January 2010, 22:43

Crikey what a hard quiz, makes answering NASCAR questions on the autosport big quiz seem like jokes on a christmas cracker!

7. Rahim said on 3rd January 2010, 4:31

Race 13 Germany
    Race 14 Italy
    Race 15 Abu Dhabi
    Race 16 Malaysia
    Race 17 Hungary

8. Bleu said on 3rd January 2010, 9:33

Looking it and on the brackets the ones how I came up with that

1 Turkey (Barrichello drops at the start, then drops again around lap 10 and finally retires)
    2 Bahrain (few early pit stops and only one, late DNF)
    3 Europe (Vettel troubles around first pit stops, leader change at 2nd stops)
    4 Britain (Vettel leading almost whole race, two DNFs which happened within lap)
    5 Australia (Vettel and Kubica out late)
    6 Japan (only 19 starters, domination from start to finish)
    7 Singapore (Rosberg drop shortly after first round of stops)
    8 Belgium (start crash and lead change on lap 5)
    9 Monaco (long race, Vettel troubles around lap 10)
    10 China (few early droppers during SC)
    11 Brazil (start crash, Barrichello drops)
    12 Spain (start crash, Barrichello 3-stopper)
    13 Germany (Webber losing edge at start, then dropping mid-pack around first stops and finally wins)
    14 Italy (Hamilton crash on final lap)
    15 Abu Dhabi (Hamilton out shortly after 1st stop, Kobayashi line to 6th)
    16 Malaysia (short, Rosberg from 4th to 1st at the start)
    17 Hungary (19 starters, Alonso out after 1st stop)

9. macahan said on 3rd January 2010, 18:22

Here is the list of races.

1 Turkey
    12 Spain
    13 Germany
    14 Italy
    15 Abu Dhabi
    16 Malaysia
    17 Hungary

Some where pretty easy others took a bit of counting and looking up stats =)
    Hungary, Spain, Malaysia and Japan where easy to pick out and Australia wasn’t to hard either.

10. Promise I didn’t look at the answers!

1 turkey
    13 germany
    14 italy
    15 abu dhabi
    16 malaysia
    17 hungary

11. Daniel said on 4th January 2010, 18:53

how do work these out??? i havent a clue. Can someone explane to me please. thank you