USF1 Barber test closed to public

Barber Motorsports Park has confirmed USF1′s test session at the track will not be open to the public.

A circuit spokesperson said other details of the test have not been decided yet:

In regards to the USF1 test, we are still in negotiations at this point. If the test does come to Barber Motorsports Park, it will be closed to the public.

It’s understandable that USF1 want some secrecy, but when they’re positioning themselves as an American F1 team it’s a shame they’re missing out on such an obvious opportunity to court the fans.

I know several F1 Fanatic readers near the Alabama track including mfDB, Eric, Chris McCoy, Wesley and Justus were considering going, so I’m sorry if this news comes as a disappointment to them. Or are they still planning to go anyway?

Read more: USF1 to test F1 car in America

42 comments on USF1 Barber test closed to public

1 2 3
  1. Arun Srini said on 14th January 2010, 8:23

Who will be driving them anyway?
    I think they’d not want to feel so embarassed if things goes their opposite way … whatever, can’t wait for 2010 season..

2. HounslowBusGarage said on 14th January 2010, 8:41

Not good. It allows me to be suspicious.
    Is there any compulsion for USF1 to publish any lap times?
    Will we know if the best pace the new car can manage is well outside the existing lap record? Undoundtedly the press release will say that the car performed as predicted and that real progress was made and that the team is looking forward to Bahrein with real confidence etc, but could it all be a gigantic con to secure sponsors?

3. Woffin said on 14th January 2010, 9:04

Maybe you’re right HBG, they may be covering themselves in the event their car is a complete failure. The sponsors and drivers would be put off by that straight away. However if the car runs well, expect any further tests likely to the open to the public :)

Look’s like they’re just waiting to see how things turn out instead of doing a BAR and being like “Yeah we’re going to win in our first season”..

4. Ninad said on 14th January 2010, 9:08

I think they don’t want anyone to know their lap times. Plus they don’t want to reveal their drivers maybe.

• luigismen said on 14th January 2010, 13:29

I don’t think so… there will be pictures.
      I’m guessing they don’t want any public in case the car breaks down or something, being just a shakedown

5. Kutigz said on 14th January 2010, 10:32

Sad one..aint it?

6. Hairs said on 14th January 2010, 10:37

I think it’s because they don’t want anyone to see the mechanics pushing the car around the track.

7. It´s obvious they are trying to hide their lack of permormance in the opening test!
    Nevertheless, it´s a pitty, as the US fans would like to see the development of the car and see where the USF1 team is at the moment.

8. 40_thieves said on 14th January 2010, 11:01

I thought Peter Windsor was the guy who was always complaining that the teams didn’t give enough access to journos. A bit hypocritical if you ask me

9. wisenheimer said on 14th January 2010, 11:58

Somebody should go there and check if you can hear a V8 driving around the track…
    Mr Windsor should stop with things like this. From my point of view he is dragging the whole american motorsport industry in the mud…

10. I have it on good authority that USF1 has no F1 car at all. They’ve dummied up an F1 shell to fit over an old IRL car, and have a trick muffler to make the Honda sound like a Cosworth. They figure if they film it themselves, with the camera back far enough, they can trick Stefan GP or someone else really hot to get into F1 into buying them out.

(Well, that makes as much sense as some of the other comments I’ve seen on here. Let’s just wait and see, shall we?)

11. Icthyes said on 14th January 2010, 12:08

Silly idea, they could have won some fans over and shown the world that they do have a car and that it’s okay on pace. Now the rumours are just going to keep flying.

12. inc0mmunicado said on 14th January 2010, 12:40

But it’s someone from the circuit who’s saying the circuit won’t be open to the public, not USF1. Even before negotiations are done. They are not really an FIA approved track for a reason (lack of runoff, fencing, etc). The track owners are probably scared of something going wrong-this has the potential after all to be the fastest machinery that would have ever run on that circuit.

13. But it’s someone from the circuit who’s saying the circuit won’t be open to the public, not USF1. Even before negotiations are done.

Good point. I just checked the season’s schedule for Barber Motorsports Park. Of 28 event weekends, only seven will be public events with ticket sales. The other twenty-one are private events. Seems BMP runs private events as a matter of course. One must also consider they are also a driving school, and that apparently public races are low on their list of priorities.

Hadn’t even thought about that earlier. Good catch, inc0mmunicado.

14. Justin said on 14th January 2010, 13:05

Speaking of going down to check if we can hear a Cosworth V8 at 18,000rpm. I assume that Barber will be lifting their blanket 104db noise limit for the duration.

15. Well personally if I was in charge of a new F1 team I wouldn’t want the public around at the very first time the cars were due to run in case something went wrong.

As for the rumours about USF1 not making the first race, again if it were me I would only be bothered if it hampered the team in anyway such as in the signing of drivers or sponsorship, otherwise I would find it quite funny all these people predicting the worst while everything is going to plan.

1 2 3