Virgin Racing launch VR-01

F1 pictures

Virgin VR-01

Virgin Racing are the first of the new F1 teams to launch their 2010 car.

See below for more pictures and information about the VR-01.

Designer Nick Wirth has created the VR-01 entirely using Computational Fluid Dynamics computer modelling. This is not a new technology for F1 – but relying on it instead of a wind tunnel to create a new car is a novel approach.

Wirth believes CFD is the best way for teams to develop F1 cars under F1’s new resource restrictions:

Today is a very proud day for everyone involved with Virgin Racing, however on this occasion, where the car is the star, I want to pay tribute to all the amazing people at Wirth Research who deserve so much of the credit for the VR-01. Putting together an F1 team, assembling an engineering group and designing a new car from scratch is an epic task in the timeframe we have been working to.

I have been fortunate to have worked with the very best designers in F1 and I am well aware of exactly what it takes to be successful in this sport. When you see what the existing teams have achieved using the conventional but proven design approach, it is unsurprising that there is a great deal of scepticism about our all-CFD approach. But we are competing in a sport that is undergoing significant change having come face to face with today’s harsh economic realities. Under resource restriction, convention will become too costly and necessity really will be the mother of invention. I have absolute belief in the digital design process and the opportunity to put the all-CFD approach to the test at the highest level – to demonstrate that this could be the way for the future of F1 – is very, very exciting.
Nick Wirth

The team, originally named Manor Motorsport, are using Cosworth’s CA2010 V8 engines this year.

Team principal John Booth said:

Not only do we have a great bunch of people at Virgin Racing, we also have a great-looking car. We are delighted with our fantastic new livery which provides a fitting integration of our racing brand with our important commercial partnerships. All in all, we have a lot to look forward to as we progress towards our racing debut in Bahrain next month.
John Booth

He also explained why the car was not ready in time for the test at Valencia this week:

The first stage in our on-track evaluation programme is our two-day shakedown at Silverstone on Thursday and Friday this week, where we will conduct systematic testing and confidence-building of all car parts and on-car systems. It was always intended that we would miss the first all-team test in Valencia this week and very early on we targeted the second Jerez test in two weeks’ time for our public testing debut. It is a testament to our methodical approach and the sheer hard work of the team that we are heading to Spain a week earlier than planned to take part in the first Jerez test next week.
John Booth

Virgin chairman Sir Richard Branson added:

I’m sure we will be measured by how fast the car is on the track in Jerez next week, but I hope that doesn’t overshadow the far bigger achievement of pulling an entire racing team together and taking a brave step that defies convention. In many ways this is an exploration, but given the absolute self-belief we have seen, I can’t help but feel very excited about what we can go on to achieve in the years ahead.

For now though I’m looking forward to seeing the VR-01 on track in testing in the coming weeks as we prepare for Virgin Racing’s very first grand prix.
Richard Branson

Virgin VR-01 pictures

VR-01 dimensions

Length: 5,500mm
Height: 950mm
Width: 1,800mm
Wheelbase: 3,200mm

2010 F1 car launches

Images ?é?® Virgin Racing

278 comments on Virgin Racing launch VR-01

1 2 3 10
  1. Prisoner Monkeys said on 3rd February 2010, 10:41

Poor old Virgin. I can only get better from here.

2. Invoke said on 3rd February 2010, 10:42

Looking forward to the livery on this one, hoping for a jet-black base colour.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd February 2010, 10:43

That’s what Lucas di Grassi said it was going to be.

• car looks fantasitic, and livery is very nice too!

Noticed a real RBR feel to the rear of the car with the body fading to very low, also raised edges on side of nose.

Car looks clean and simple…I think it should go ok.

Now I am just hanging out for Red Bull to release their 2010 challenger. From what I understand it won’t be a carbon copy of what the toro rosso looks like either. yer there will be bits that interchange but RBR have a bullet up there sleeves….!

3. pocket said on 3rd February 2010, 10:42

Virtual disaster!

4. Scribe said on 3rd February 2010, 10:43

The fact that we can’t see the car that was supposed to be ready 43 minutes ago is strangley indicative of all the new teams this year.

As well as it;s “innovative novel” design process.

5. Lets see how CFD holds itself to the good old windtunnel. Im more looking forward to that and how the car looks then the PR blabla that they already pulled of the closet out now.

6. Prisoner Monkeys said on 3rd February 2010, 10:44

If Fernando Alonso was driving for Virgin, would it matter if they could get their stream up 0.6 seconds faster?

7. Dingle Dell said on 3rd February 2010, 10:44

Virgin Racing is waiting for the proper time to launch in order not to clash with Goddess of Virginity… ye holy one

come on come on come on… launch it!

8. Bullfrog said on 3rd February 2010, 10:45

I like the use of “in excess of” for fuel tank size and engine weight…

9. Untitled258 said on 3rd February 2010, 10:47

If it appears, i think it may look somewhat like the Midland of 2006. With the black/red/white livery.

10. paxter said on 3rd February 2010, 10:47

Common no more people pics… show the damn car already.

11. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd February 2010, 10:47

From Lucas di Grassi on Twitter (translated):

Calm down people. There was a problem with the video that is being repaired. I’ll ask if I can put a picture on twitter!

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 3rd February 2010, 10:48

I’m liking him already.

• He seems cool doesn’t he!?!

• Yeah di Grassi sounds like a nice guy.

• RogerCamp said on 3rd February 2010, 21:52

Yes, he is. I’m a brazilian and I’m following his career. I’ve not been a fan of any brazilian pilot since Senna. I’m a Kimi fan. As he’s not driving F1 this year, I’m definately going to support Lucas, he’s a very cool guy, realy good driver and deserves a chance like that.
            I love the looks of the car and livery by the way.

• CounterStrike said on 4th February 2010, 8:37

I am really curious to know why most Brazilians refer to “Driver” as “Pilot” ? Even the google translation of some of the Brazilian F1 site does the same.

12. pocket said on 3rd February 2010, 10:49

You would have thought they’d have tested all the feeds etc before it all went tits up?!

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 3rd February 2010, 10:52

Whtsto say they didn’t? I used to do the soundcheck for the auditorium at my school, and we went through the procedure a dozen times ahead of graduation to make sure it worked. It did. But when zero hour came around … well, it didn’t work the one time we needed it to.

These things happen. You just have to be patient.

13. sw6569 said on 3rd February 2010, 10:50

Insert Virgin joke about not being ready here.

It’ll be really interesting to see how this team goes. More so than any other, I’m really interested to see how good CFD etc is at predicting accurately on track performance. I also like the driver pairing!

• NomadIndian said on 3rd February 2010, 11:44

Virgin takes her time before first night out.
      Keeps thousands waiting before offering a peep.

Yeah I know, very weak.

14. lee williams said on 3rd February 2010, 10:52

hi first post . not very good with links ,on youtube scuadraF1 has some images of what it thinks vr01 will look like

15. I tell you what, if they are slow on the track you know that the jokes are going to come back to this! lol :-)

1 2 3 10